bike locks

open topic, for anything cycling related.

bike locks

Postby dareyaire » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:16 pm

was at specialized shop (AT) city (perth) today looked at some locks umm came across these ones cheapest for $49... Theyre a U lock i think the brand is "ON GAURD".. also some others there abit more pricey umm, just wondering if you guys know of something cheaper and better ?? recommendations ? thanx.
dareyaire

by BNA » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:15 pm

BNA

Re: bike locks

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:15 pm

This is a good read: Tracking Stolen Bikes and preventing theft

I recommend two locks, a heavy duty one and a second lighter lock, the second is mainly for saving your front wheel from gettings stolen.
Each lock has it's flaws - or rather there are different techniques for a thief to attack locks. U-Locks are pretty good in that they usually arehard to leverage and need heavy duty cutters. The harder and less convenient foir thieves the better.

Cheapy cable locks may be cheap but are much easier to break - Kmart will have these and I don't recommend them but they are a lock that will mean someone can't simply walk off with a bike, but as soon as they put any thought into it, they are an easy target.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Crowz » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:34 pm

My view is that if someone really wants to steal your bike, they will. Bike lock or no bike lock. Don't lock up a bike you can't afford to lose.
Crowz

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:05 pm

But, there is a difference between an opportunity theft and a planned bike theft, as well as the time and effort to steal a well secured verses poorly secured bike.

I accept that if a thief is not presented with a target, you eliminate or minimise the risk however it is not always practical, all of the time to keep the bike indoors.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:10 pm

So if you lock up a cheap bike up with very good locks, you shouldn't have too much trouble.
Nobody

Postby dareyaire » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:53 pm

thanx very helpful
dareyaire

Postby clackers » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:16 pm

And park next to a nicer bike with less security. :-)
clackers

Postby lucky7 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:48 pm

As an example of what others are saying, my bike insurance won't cover a bike theft if the lock used cost less than A$79.99. There's a reason for that - it's about the price point that locks begin to actually stop theft rather than simply temporarily attach your bike to a pole, fence, etc. Mucking around with mates, we actually pulled open a Kmart lock with our hands (after we locked a Kmart bike to a Kmart bike display stand). Have a look online - I got my A$100 (RRP) lock for about half that from one of the well known online retailers; and confirmation from the insurance company that I'm covered.
lucky7

Return to General discussion