New Saddle

open topic, for anything cycling related.

New Saddle

Postby Daus » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:51 pm

I am in the process of rebuilding a Giant roady- I have the wheels, groupset and everything else on order and now its time to look at a saddle. On my 2 retro steel roadies I have brooks B17 imperials I bought the first as a trial years ago and ended up buying a second for my other bike- got tired of swapping them out.
Now for my dilema- I have been looking at the B17 narrow imperial (I want the cutout as I have issues with other saddles in the past and numbness) so the question I am posing to all the Brooks fans out there is which saddle to choose bearing in mind I have never had any problems or discomfort with the standard B17 imperials but I was thinking the narrower saddle might be the go on the light bike but was concerned the narrow saddle might not fit me as well- any feedback is welcome.
Daus

by BNA » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:19 pm

BNA

Re: New Saddle

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:19 pm

Hmm,

"I bought a saddle for my road bike, I liked it so much that I bought another for my other road bike. Now I want to use something different on my latest road bike."

If you like what you've got then why change? I know a few people with B17s on road bikes. Yes you can get other ones but that is a leap into the unknown, and for what?

I like the narrower Brooks saddles I like the extra give in the Ti Swallow on my race bike (birthday gift), I like the shape of the Swift(second hand, almost new and cheap), and at less than $100 I got the B17N which is pretty good too. In the past my plastic saddles were narrowish, Turbo, Flite and Rolls and a couple of Flite copies.

I haven't tried the regular B17 and see no reason to, although my tandem stoker has one and also a Flyer, both of which he likes a lot.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:51 pm

There is only one way you are really going to know for sure...
Nobody

Postby Daus » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:14 am

I have decided to go with the B17 Imperial again- to buy a different saddle is a leap into the unknown and its an expensive test.
Daus

Postby Nobody » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:30 am

Fair enough. If it works and all that...

I have a B17 Imperial I used to use on a road bike without cycling specific shorts. One day I got a groin injury from the edge of the cutout while on the drops. Took some weeks to get back on the bike properly. At that point I switched to the Team Pro as a specific drop bar saddle. The B17 Imperial is still a good saddle and I use it on the flat bar and MTB.
Nobody

Postby TimW » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:36 am

Nobody wrote:Fair enough. If it works and all that...

I have a B17 Imperial I used to use on a road bike without cycling specific shorts. One day I got a groin injury from the edge of the cutout while on the drops. Took some weeks to get back on the bike properly. At that point I switched to the Team Pro as a specific drop bar saddle. The B17 Imperial is still a good saddle and I use it on the flat bar and MTB.

Same here Team Pro on one of the Roady's and a b17 on the flatbar.
TimW

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:48 am

Nobody wrote:Fair enough. If it works and all that...

Isn't it funny how experiences differ? I used and was really happy with my Brooks Conquest for many years, then I got a Team Pro as a better replacement. Three months of use and it was still a block of wood - that aggravated a pre-existing complaint to the point where I had to have minor surgery. When I finally needed to retire the Conquest the replacement that has worked was the Swift Ti. Nice :D
il padrone

Postby Nobody » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:23 am

il padrone wrote:Isn't it funny how experiences differ? I used and was really happy with my Brooks Conquest for many years, then I got a Team Pro as a better replacement. Three months of use and it was still a block of wood - that aggravated a pre-existing complaint to the point where I had to have minor surgery. When I finally needed to retire the Conquest the replacement that has worked was the Swift Ti. Nice :D
This is why I believe Brooks should be doing more about educating people on the recommended weight, sizing and type of use for their saddles. You shouldn't have to learn about it on forums where there is a large variance in personal experience and therefore opinion.
Nobody

Postby Daus » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:32 am

Yes, peoples experiences differ widely as does there anatomy- I do not wear cycle specific clothing and spend most of my time "in the flats" on my road bikes just cruising and commuting. I have had a lot of trouble in the past with the dreaded numbness with other types of saddles especially the anatomical type some with too much padding and moving cutouts. I bought my first Brooks B17 imperial at the suggestion of an acquaintance with more than a little skepticism and had no problems at all- I did not even notice the break in period. There is much trial and error in correct choice of a bicycle seat and once you have a formula that works it probably pays not to stick with it.
Daus

Postby Daus » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:34 am

Did I just post "not to stick with it"? must be early I really meant to say "stick with it"
Daus

Return to General discussion