rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Feed - Australian Cycling Forums - Bicycles Network Australia" href="http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/feed.php" />

Merino Thermal Innerwear

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Merino Thermal Innerwear

Postby kunalraiker » Mon May 06, 2013 10:13 pm

jbanh wrote:Ray's Outdoors have 100% merino thermals that are suitable for cycling. They've got a close fit to the body and a long body so your backside isn't exposed to the cold

What are the prices like?
kunalraiker

by BNA » Mon May 06, 2013 10:28 pm

BNA

Postby jbanh » Mon May 06, 2013 10:28 pm

Unsure of what they are currently but it was approx $50 for a l/s and $40 for a s/s when I bought them a couple of years ago. I can also vouch for their longevity as they've held up to many a harsh conditions and countless washes
jbanh

Postby jamesn184 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:19 am

I'll vouch for the Kathmandu tops as I got them on special 3 for $75
And have served me well for 1 winter and many more to come
jamesn184

Postby barefoot » Tue May 07, 2013 9:42 am

jamesn184 wrote:I'll vouch for the Kathmandu tops as I got them on special 3 for $75
And have served me well for 1 winter and many more to come

My Kathmandu merino thermal must be getting on 10 years old - I got it just when merino thermals started to become a realistic option instead of stinky polypropylene. It was a bargain at $50 at the time, but prices have dropped a heap since then.

It gets worn and washed about once a week. Not in perfect shape any more, but it has definitely seen some service, and I'm pretty sure the holes it has are crash damage from long forgotten MTB rides.

tim
barefoot

Postby sparco » Tue May 07, 2013 10:22 am

kunalraiker wrote:Long enough, any longer and they would bother me.

Thanks! Reason I asked is that, I bought a non cycling specific windproof/waterproof jacket from Nike a while ago. Fit was all good but when I used it on my bike, the sleeve edge was already up mid my lower arm when on the hoods.

I am contemplating on buying this, http://www.wildernesswear.com.au/Shopping-Site/product_details.aspx?codeLetter=U&retCode=BT&codeNumber=903&qty=&retPage=1&size=&color=RED%2fBLACK. Should I buy a size up, just to make sure the whole arm is covered?
sparco

Postby ft_critical » Tue May 07, 2013 1:01 pm

http://www.aoteanz.com/avoca-merino-sho ... cer-1.html

I have two of these NZD56. They are 21micron threads, so they are super thin. This means they work in Spring and Autumn, probably summer too though I don't wear them then.
Longevity is a problem. The first one I bought 4yrs ago is now about 10microns so thin has it become.
All the usual benefits, especially, warm when wet.
ft_critical

Postby kunalraiker » Tue May 07, 2013 1:10 pm

sparco wrote:
kunalraiker wrote:Long enough, any longer and they would bother me.

Thanks! Reason I asked is that, I bought a non cycling specific windproof/waterproof jacket from Nike a while ago. Fit was all good but when I used it on my bike, the sleeve edge was already up mid my lower arm when on the hoods.

I am contemplating on buying this, http://www.wildernesswear.com.au/Shopping-Site/product_details.aspx?codeLetter=U&retCode=BT&codeNumber=903&qty=&retPage=1&size=&color=RED%2fBLACK. Should I buy a size up, just to make sure the whole arm is covered?

I would recommend calling the place with your dimension.
They are a small business and extremely helpful.
kunalraiker

Postby Bob_TAS » Tue May 07, 2013 2:29 pm

Bob_TAS

Previous

Return to General discussion