Shipping wheels interstate via AU Post

kimmie

Shipping wheels interstate via AU Post

Postby kimmie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:37 pm

Guys,

I need to send a set of wheels (700c) from VIC to SA. Went to several Bunnings today, looking for box to box them, but they dont have something that size. I understand I may be able to get some from my LBS, but wondering if anyone has experience sending wheels before via Australia Post? Someone told me they *may* fit into two 5kg satchels (one wheel each) - but according to the dimensions of those satchels (quoted from Australia Post's website), they will not fit.

Any idea?

Cheers
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"

Derny Driver

Re: Shipping wheels interstate via AU Post

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:02 pm

You cant send wheels via Australia Post. They wont take them as the dimensions are too big. Get a box from your LBS and then google your nearest E-go courier. They are fantastic and really cheap. If you can drop the wheels to a depot and pick up from a nearby depot at the other end they will be even cheaper to send.

Slow6

Postby Slow6 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:11 pm

I have sent wheel sets and frames through Aus post numerous times without issue. As long as your parcel is oddly shaped they can't cube it so they charge for actual weight makes for cheap post too.
For wheelsets I bubble wrap each wheel like crazy and then wrap the two together using an industrial roll of super strong glad wrap (cheap from a packaging supplier) even sent a couple OS this year without a problem.

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:43 am

Slow6 wrote:I have sent wheel sets and frames through Aus post numerous times without issue. As long as your parcel is oddly shaped they can't cube it so they charge for actual weight makes for cheap post too.
For wheelsets I bubble wrap each wheel like crazy and then wrap the two together using an industrial roll of super strong glad wrap (cheap from a packaging supplier) even sent a couple OS this year without a problem.
Sounds like a plan. So after you bubble wrapped and glad wrapped them, you just take them 'as-is' to AusPost? Thanks again.

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:44 am

Derny Driver wrote:You cant send wheels via Australia Post. They wont take them as the dimensions are too big. Get a box from your LBS and then google your nearest E-go courier. They are fantastic and really cheap. If you can drop the wheels to a depot and pick up from a nearby depot at the other end they will be even cheaper to send.
The e-go courier sounds promising too. Will investigate more. Many thanks!

wardie

Postby wardie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:47 am

I recntly sent a set of wheels from Sydney to Hobart ia Aust Post. $55. I got a box from a bike shop near where I worked. I just walked in and ask for an empty box and they were obliging.
Giant XTC 2

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:37 am

E-go have a less than stellar reputation - I have not personally had a problem with them, but several friends and other 4wd forum members I know have lost packages.

Not saying don't use them, just saying get insurance.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:48 am

Another option is Interparcel. They're a middle man for a lot of courier companies. Get a quote from their site, and choose whichever service you want. They'll come pickup from your chosen place and deliver to the receiver's place.

I don't know where you read about the 5kg satchels, but wheels are way bigger than those satchels.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:51 am

Slow6 wrote:I have sent wheel sets and frames through Aus post numerous times without issue. As long as your parcel is oddly shaped they can't cube it so they charge for actual weight makes for cheap post too.
I've done similar on the advice of Greg Ryan of TWE. Just wrap them and send thru aus post as long as it's not a cubed shape they have to take the raw weight
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:08 am

wardie wrote:I recntly sent a set of wheels from Sydney to Hobart ia Aust Post. $55. I got a box from a bike shop near where I worked. I just walked in and ask for an empty box and they were obliging.
Ended up doing exactly like what wardie said. All done and dusted... Thanks everyone!

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:27 am

So if we send something that can't be measured with cubic dimensions, Aus post will measure by raw weight, no matter how larger the item is?
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

LG

Postby LG » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:40 am

They do have maximum dimensions the item needs to fit into, if you're within these then yes (instructions how to measure an item are on their web site). If it's an odd shaped item not in a box, the closest you can get to estimating the postage costs from their web site is by using the 'satchel' option on the postage calculator and just entering the weight. Frames I've sent just have the tubes etc bubble wrapped, a block put between the rear dropout to stop them getting squashed inwards and the fork bubble wrapped and strapped to the side (ie big open air gap between the main triangle). No problem so far. I haven't been able to get a wheel set inside the max size requirements (single wheel ok), so would be interested to hear what size packages previous posters have ended up with when sending these?
LG = Low Gear

icicic

Postby icicic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:55 pm

lump_a_charcoal wrote:E-go have a less than stellar reputation - I have not personally had a problem with them, but several friends and other 4wd forum members I know have lost packages.

Not saying don't use them, just saying get insurance.

I've had nothing but good experiences with e-Go and always very well priced. Having said that though, I recently shipped a trike from Melbourne to Sydney via www.justfreight.com.au and that price saved me hundreds, so I'd def get a quote from them in future too.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:25 pm

kimmie wrote:
Sounds like a plan. So after you bubble wrapped and glad wrapped them, you just take them 'as-is' to AusPost? Thanks again.
Wrap them in plain brown recycled paper so it at least looks like you've attempted to package them.