"Bike" magazine greatly improved

open topic, for anything cycling related.

"Bike" magazine greatly improved

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:05 pm

Edition two of Bike magazine is out and a big improvement on edition one which itself was a reasonable read.

Glad I signed-up for a two-year subscription because I'm now really over Bicycling Australia and was in the process of looking for a replacement read when my subscription to that mag ran out.

Bike seems to nicely walk the line between hobby rider (me) and the more hardcore guys. Keep up the good work, Bike people.

(Disclaimer: other than having a two-year subscription and enjoying the magazine very much, I have no commercial or pecuniary interest in it.)
Some days you are a big, strutting rooster, some days you are a bit chicken and some days you are just a complete cocque. Roger Ramjet: 2009 Giant CRX3 Spockette: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 (WSD, property of Mrs Monsoon) Lady Penelope: 2011 Avanti Cadent 1.0 TdF
gorilla monsoon

by BNA » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:01 am

BNA

Re: "Bike" magazine greatly improved

Postby AndyTheMan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:01 am

You know what ...based on your little comments I'll sign up today for a year or two subscription.

Like many, I now read everything on my ipad (as part of my work I have to read numerous newspapers, magazines and reports.... etc etc). As such, there is now a blurring between the lines on the ipad in terms of my WORK email/reports/calender/messaging etc and my private live (private email, facebook, BNA forum etc).

Everytime I pick up my ipad to read something I end up 'just quickly checking' my work email ..... and spending the next hour worried about work stuff or replying to emails!

Recently, I 're-discovered' print magazines..... basically I wanted something to take to the beach, and went on a holiday where I had no internet/phone service so bought a few cycling/running/triathlon mags.

Also, I find that reading a magazine is great because I can often find half hour to read a few articles, but not numerous hours to read a full book....

I decided this week I will get a subscription to a couple of magazines so I've always got something to read..... plus it keeps me motivated to get out on the bike....

Thanks for the comments....I'll pop over to one of the web based magazine subscription sites and sign up!!

AtM
AndyTheMan

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:04 pm

Any mag that has a beer review page has got to be good.
Some days you are a big, strutting rooster, some days you are a bit chicken and some days you are just a complete cocque. Roger Ramjet: 2009 Giant CRX3 Spockette: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 (WSD, property of Mrs Monsoon) Lady Penelope: 2011 Avanti Cadent 1.0 TdF
gorilla monsoon

Postby scotto » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:19 pm

scotto

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:32 pm

Now that is classy. Should send that idea to one of those home decorating magazines.
gorilla monsoon

Postby Pax » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:22 pm

AndyTheMan wrote:You know what ...based on your little comments I'll sign up today for a year or two subscription.

Like many, I now read everything on my ipad (as part of my work I have to read numerous newspapers, magazines and reports.... etc etc). As such, there is now a blurring between the lines on the ipad in terms of my WORK email/reports/calender/messaging etc and my private live (private email, facebook, BNA forum etc).

Everytime I pick up my ipad to read something I end up 'just quickly checking' my work email ..... and spending the next hour worried about work stuff or replying to emails!

Sounds like a sensible step to keep work from invading your private space a bit, enjoy!!

I recon "Bike" is a good read too.

PS I am a recovering workaholic, who has recently paid the price for 30+ years of that life style :oops: :x , so definitely just encouraging your healthy choice Andy :wink:
Pax

Postby humanbeing » Wed May 01, 2013 1:25 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Edition two of Bike magazine is out and a big improvement on edition one which itself was a reasonable read.

Glad I signed-up for a two-year subscription because I'm now really over Bicycling Australia and was in the process of looking for a replacement read when my subscription to that mag ran out.

Bike seems to nicely walk the line between hobby rider (me) and the more hardcore guys. Keep up the good work, Bike people.

(Disclaimer: other than having a two-year subscription and enjoying the magazine very much, I have no commercial or pecuniary interest in it.)

Sorry I don't give them much credit :(
95% is a straight republish from the US magazine Bicycling
I read the "exclusive" Eddy Merckx interview months ago.
The only difference is a couple of local columns and reviews where they change the prices to aussie dollars.
Have a great ride,
Peter
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor
humanbeing

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed May 01, 2013 4:20 pm

Doesn't worry me. I don't read the US magazine, I didn't read the interview with Merckx months ago and I guess anyone is entitled to use XE.com to convert euros to A$.
gorilla monsoon

Postby humanbeing » Wed May 01, 2013 5:09 pm

Fair enough :D
However there are genuine Australian publications and there is rehashed US media.
I like to be aware of what I'm reading especially when it passes itself off as something it's not.
Have a great ride,
Peter
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor
humanbeing

Postby drpants » Wed May 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Bought it today from your advice, plenty of good reads here!

I'm going to subscribe, 2 year subscription is $49 and comes with free $49 knog rear lights which I was considering buying anyway!
drpants

Return to General discussion