LBS Win for the little guy!

open topic, for anything cycling related.

LBS Win for the little guy!

Postby cwc » Thu May 02, 2013 4:55 am

So was riding my bike along a road and SNAP...front fork in a very random place...so I stopped, called the ever faithful supporter who loaded the kids in the car and came and got me. Took bike to the shop where I bought it from to be told " yeah, this is definatly a warranty issue and we will get it sorted for you"....

A week later they show me an email saying cannondale ( I mean said bike company) would not honour the warranty as the break was in a place that indicated it was possibly dropped so have a nice day. I explained to the shop that I had never dropped the bike and infact the bike has its own room and stand with wifes bike. The shop just basically washed its hands and said they can send the fork off to company for further inspection but good luck!

I took my bike off the caring bike shops hands and drove straight to the shop where I get it serviced and looked after ( can I plug DIscovery Cycles at Smithfield, Cairns.....Larry!!!). Dropped it off Friday afternoon asking Larry to see what he thinks. Monday afternoon he calls and lets me know that he called the bike company, spoke with them at length and a new fork is on its way :).

Larrys tried to sell me one of his bikes when we first went in there...my wife purchased one...and a second one after she got hit by a car. I didnt. But that has not stopped him from helping me, serving my bike, sourcing parts and now sorting a warranty issue that the origanl purchasing store chose not to care about....suffice to say I will not be stepping into their store again.

Larry and his guys knows all his customers by name and by their bike. Our 2 boys both 2 and 4 are also known by name and get a free range of the store and the kids bikes when they go in like little tornados....!

Its not so much a plug, but a real appreciation of what good service can be and back that with knowledge and a good laugh everytime you go in you cant fail.

I rarely buy anything online anymore as why would I screw my LBS when all they do is look out for me when I go in.... saving a few bucks on tubes or cannisters almost feels like cheating!!

Just thought I should share!
cwc

by BNA » Thu May 02, 2013 6:37 am

BNA

Re: LBS Win for the little guy!

Postby trailgumby » Thu May 02, 2013 6:37 am

"Possibly dropped" ... what a crock.

At least they were prepared to listen when someone went in to bat for you, so maybe things are improving.
trailgumby

Postby thecaptn » Thu May 02, 2013 8:13 am

Cannondale Australia think that when they shaft one of their customers that there's a chance of loosing that customer and they're ok with that but I have 3 cannondales in the shed that I love/have never had any trouble with and will be the last Cannondales that I buy because I dont want to be stuffed around with warranty issues like you. That's why the lovely new bike in the shed isn't a Cannondale. Dodgy warranty culture damages the brand.
thecaptn

Postby Ross » Thu May 02, 2013 9:34 am

trailgumby wrote:"Possibly dropped" ... what a crock.

+1

You'd need to drop it off a very high cliff or out of a plane. Manufacturers and retailers that come up with these BS excuses to weasel out of warranties are cutting their own throat. OP will probably never buy that brand of bike again after that debacle (I know I wouldn't if I was in same situation) and sharing his story on here a lot of other people will possibly follow suit.
Ross

Postby Xplora » Thu May 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Just to kick CracknFail in the guts good and properly, there have been a lot of these kinds of complaints with warranty.

I hope the OP is going to be prepared to send all his dollars to Larry... I won't do all my stuff local, but I will certainly try to send the big ticket stuff to my local dealers... bike dealers, that is. I'm not addicted. I swear. :shock:
Xplora

Postby jules21 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:20 pm

cwc wrote:A week later they show me an email saying cannondale ( I mean said bike company) would not honour the warranty as the break was in a place that indicated it was possibly dropped

so what? that's pretty poor.
[shareyoutube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lrjId0-K-Ts[/shareyoutube]
jules21

Postby queequeg » Thu May 02, 2013 2:40 pm

I got asked this week by a work colleague about Cannondale bikes, as he is looking to buy.
I told him to steer clear due to all these warranty problems.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby Xplora » Thu May 02, 2013 3:24 pm

The sad part is that people can accept the bikes being fragile, they can accept failures... but when the distro won't jump in to back up their product, it looks terrible.

Trek FTW lol
Xplora

Postby Bah77 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:38 pm

cwc wrote:A week later they show me an email saying cannondale ( I mean said bike company) would not honour the warranty
The shop you bought it from is the one that has to honour the warranty, they can't just wash their hands of it. Of course the only problem with that is getting them to do what they are supposed to by law.
Bah77

Postby jcjordan » Thu May 02, 2013 5:19 pm

Bah77 wrote:
cwc wrote:A week later they show me an email saying cannondale ( I mean said bike company) would not honour the warranty
The shop you bought it from is the one that has to honour the warranty, they can't just wash their hands of it. Of course the only problem with that is getting them to do what they are supposed to by law.

Actually the shop is not responsible for the warranty but due have a duty to act as a agent forvthe manufacturer/distribiter who hold the responsibility for the warranty.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home
jcjordan

Postby jules21 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:34 pm

jcjordan wrote:Actually the shop is not responsible for the warranty but due have a duty to act as a agent forvthe manufacturer/distribiter who hold the responsibility for the warranty.

i'm not quite sure that's true. the consumer law act governs the supply of goods to market. the shop is bound by that. they are entitled to direct a customer to their supplier (Cannondale), but not wash their hands of them. in other words, Cannondale's refusal to honour the warranty does not automatically exempt they shop from liability. i'm unsure precisely what the shop's liability is, though.
jules21

Postby Summernight » Thu May 02, 2013 5:47 pm

jules21 wrote:
jcjordan wrote:Actually the shop is not responsible for the warranty but due have a duty to act as a agent forvthe manufacturer/distribiter who hold the responsibility for the warranty.

i'm not quite sure that's true. the consumer law act governs the supply of goods to market. the shop is bound by that. they are entitled to direct a customer to their supplier (Cannondale), but not wash their hands of them. in other words, Cannondale's refusal to honour the warranty does not automatically exempt they shop from liability. i'm unsure precisely what the shop's liability is, though.

The LBS sold you the goods. They have a contractual relationship with you and are bound by all the statutory warranties etc. etc. to you. In turn the LBS have a contractual relationship with their supplier. You don't have a contractual relationship with the supplier.

If you decided to take it far enough, you would sue the LBS and then they would sue their supplier so that they are not the ones who have to pay for your claim (in effect they would be seeking indemnity from their supplier in relation to your claim).
Summernight

Postby jcjordan » Thu May 02, 2013 5:52 pm

I can actually saw this with some confidence as a friends shop had to deal with this situation and received legal advice.

Its also one of the reasons that in most cases retail outlets which stock a product have to act as an agent regardless if they were involved in the sale.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home
jcjordan

Postby Saturnstarzz » Thu May 02, 2013 6:12 pm

Touch wood my Caad is now 3 or 4 years old and nothing goes wrong.
But the spanner in the works is what if the agent is no longer trading as a company? (BSC bikes oops let that one slip).
I have faith in Candice ( my CAAD 9-5) as she has taken me to hell and back .
Saturnstarzz

Postby ratter » Thu May 02, 2013 6:29 pm

You purchase a new car from a dealer, you take the car back to the dealer for warranty, the dealer can only perform warranty work that the manufacturer will authorise, why is a bike shop different?
ratter

Postby trailgumby » Thu May 02, 2013 6:34 pm

ratter wrote:You purchase a new car from a dealer, you take the car back to the dealer for warranty, the dealer can only perform warranty work that the manufacturer will authorise, why is a bike shop different?

Because consumer law says that the remedy is owed by the place from whom the item was purchased. If the vendor can't get the support of the wholesaler, that's the vendor's problem.

And the same applies to car dealers too, by the way. So they are no different, but not in the way you appear to have been expecting.

... which would explain why no-one in Northern Sydney stocks Cannondale :lol:
trailgumby

Postby ratter » Thu May 02, 2013 6:42 pm

I spent over 16 years in a car dealership, warranty on a new car was only what the manufacturer covered nothing else
ratter

Postby London Boy » Thu May 02, 2013 6:56 pm

ratter wrote:I spent over 16 years in a car dealership, warranty on a new car was only what the manufacturer covered nothing else

The ACL changed that. The dealer is obliged to sell goods that are, in essence, fit for purpose. If they are not, the dealer must make good. Doesn't matter what used to happen.

A dealer might try to argue it of course, and hope that they don't come across someone who does know the law...
London Boy

Postby ratter » Thu May 02, 2013 7:01 pm

Although I'm out of the dealership network I'm still in the automotive field and regularly deal with customers and dealerships and nothing appears to be any different to when I worked in one, you may be right, you may be wrong, I'm not a lawyer so do not know just saying what is happening in the real world
ratter

Postby Xplora » Thu May 02, 2013 7:48 pm

rat - people will tend to let things slide in the automotive industry, because the concept of fair use and wear and tear is very very very different to other areas. I would imagine it is simply a case that the dealership didn't have anyone challenge them on the warranty before... if a decision is never tested at court, you will never know what really counts legally.
Xplora

Postby jules21 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:44 pm

ratter wrote:You purchase a new car from a dealer, you take the car back to the dealer for warranty, the dealer can only perform warranty work that the manufacturer will authorise, why is a bike shop different?

that's untrue. the dealer can perform any warranty work it likes. the manufacturer will reimburse the cost of only authorised warranty work though. whether the dealer chooses to only perform work that they are reimbursed for by the manufactuer is their decision - it has nothing to do with consumer law, which may require greater warranty protection.
jules21

Postby Ken Ho » Fri May 03, 2013 7:21 am

Sometimes you need to stand your ground too.
I have had warranty work done on a car with low km, but out of warranty by time, by refusing to be blown off, and pointing out the disparity between claimed reliability and reality.
Put simply, the salesperson was singing the praises of German engineering just before they told me that steering parts were knackered after 30 000km. They said, but it's been driven hard.. I said, I don't care, it's a freaking sports car, what did you think people were going to do with it ?
In this case, if they said, "but sir, you have been riding you're bicycyle on teh road", the same response applies.
You have officially become your parents.
Ken Ho

Postby marty_one » Fri May 03, 2013 8:35 am

If things start becoming more difficult than they need to be, you can always rely on the ACCC and your rights as a consumer :)

http://transition.accc.gov.au/content/i ... mId/322947

Gotta say, thanks to the show "The Checkout" on channel two, I have learned a lot about what rights we have as consumers. These rights are also enforceable by law! So essentially if it has broken through normal use either the shop or the manufacturer has to fix the issue or offer a refund (not store credit). They can't give some lame excuse to avoid fixing the bike.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
My Journey to Triathlon - Focusing more on cycling (no time for anything else).
marty_one

Postby Ross » Fri May 03, 2013 9:23 am

marty_one wrote:If things start becoming more difficult than they need to be, you can always rely on the ACCC and your rights as a consumer :)

Well the ACCC has done such a good job with petrol pricing...
Ross

Postby ratter » Fri May 03, 2013 9:40 am

jules21 wrote:

that's untrue. the dealer can perform any warranty work it likes. the manufacturer will reimburse the cost of only authorised warranty work though. whether the dealer chooses to only perform work that they are reimbursed for by the manufactuer is their decision - it has nothing to do with consumer law, which may require greater warranty protection.

nobody is going to or I should say very few business's will do work for nothing,

you purchase a new car from dealership A, you have warranty Australia wide with any dealer that sells your brand of car, you are away from home, a long way from home, is your warranty only valid at the dealership you purchased the car from? No it's not, it's valid through any dealership that sells that brand, will another dealer do the work, yes as long as it is a warrantable issue or if needed they get authorisation from the manufacturer.
ratter

Next

Return to General discussion