Rapha Jackets

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Rapha Jackets

Postby Kwaichang » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:01 pm

Has anyone had any experience with any of the following Rapha jackets, Classic softshell, Rapha Hardshell or City Rain jacket.
I know there are plenty of people that are anti Rapha... I just want to here some first hand feedback about these items without the muck raking...
Kwaichang

by BNA » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:04 am

BNA

Re: Rapha Jackets

Postby RonK » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:04 am

Not those, but my wife has a couple of Rapha gilets. They are of high quality, have many clever design features and are beautifully cut.

I can't see any reason why the jackets wouldn't be the same.

If you want one go ahead and buy one for those reasons and be damned with what anyone else thinks.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:01 am

RonK wrote:
If you want one go ahead and buy one for those reasons and be damned with what anyone else thinks.

+1

A couple of fellas I ride with have some Rapha gear. Its good quality, they are happy.
warthog1

Postby Purt » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:12 am

Earlier this year they had the softshell for $240. They usually have 1 or 2 big sales a year and a pretty good flow of discount codes. This year they haven't had many though, seems they've worked out people will pay full price.

I've got a wind jacket, sure it's nice quality but tbh it doesn't do anything a jacket 1/2 or even 1/4 of its price wouldn't do.

Also it might be just because I live in qld, but the hardshell seems pretty overkill for Australia. (I even thought the softshell was overkill)

Have you looked at the pro team jacket?
Purt

Postby roller » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:26 pm

haven't got any of their jackets but do have a gillet and can testify to it's awesomeness.

also have a country jersey, which is fantastic for 5-15 degree days.

and a normal jersey which is really really comfortable.

had some gloves, they were great but eventually got a bit skanky, as gloves do.

based on all those items i would recommend the company and products to anyone.
roller

Postby jcjordan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:56 am

One of the guys I ride with is Rapha made and I agree that the kit is well made and designed but I put them in the same cart as Assistant (which I have used).

Its overpriced at normal prices but on sale it's fine.

Personally I go for Santini. Same quality and design but much better priced.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home
jcjordan

Postby humanbeing » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi,
Rapha fan boy here :D
I've got a classic soft shell and a rain jacket.
Both top pieces of kit and of course not cheap.
The main issue is they're designed for Europe where it's cold not Australia where it's mild.
Have a great ride,
Peter
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor
humanbeing

Postby GTRmon7 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:37 pm

Haven't had any experience with the listed jackets, but I owned a wind jacket and now own a rain jacket and a gillete. Highly recommend them all.Light weight, very comfortable. The rain jacket is too thin to provide winter warmth, but if paired with an appropriate baselayer it's plenty warm and will keep you very dry. I got caught in the rains and winds in country Victoria last month and the rain jacket paid for itself straight away. Of the jackets I've tried the rain jacket is most breathable, at least as breathable as a fully waterproof jacket can be.

If you can pick them up on sale, that's a bonus. They usually have sales at the end of winter and end of summer. If you can wait until August you might get lucky.

Also worth stating that their customer service is superb. I have had some stitching faults and other manufacturing defects in my clothing, all repaired for the cost of postage to Melbourne and in reasonable time.
GTRmon7

Postby Kwaichang » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys greatly appreciated.
Kwaichang

Postby Kwaichang » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:35 pm

humanbeing wrote:Hi,
Rapha fan boy here :D
I've got a classic soft shell and a rain jacket.
Both top pieces of kit and of course not cheap.
The main issue is they're designed for Europe where it's cold not Australia where it's mild.
Have a great ride,
Peter

I'm tossing up between the Hardshell / soft shell and city rain jackets.
The city rain jacket appeals for its off the bike capabilities but plan on doing quite a bit of winter work in the high country so the Hardshell soft shell are looking like strong choices.
Kwaichang

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:50 pm

You can get a Lapha jacket real cheap.
bigfriendlyvegan

Postby Kwaichang » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:59 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:You can get a Lapha jacket real cheap.

Where can I get this jacket of which you speak?
Kwaichang

Postby Kwaichang » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:24 am

Kwaichang wrote:

I ended up going for the soft shell after much deliberation. I'm talking serious deliberation!
The main reason I went for the soft shell over the hardshell apart from reading many glowing reviews was the ventilation under the arms.
I took the jacket for a solid hit out last night and was impressed by its ability to block wind and its warmth. Having the zipped underarm ventilation is a winner when things heat.
I would have preferred something other than black but that's the only colour they offer in this model currently.
It seems to light up quite nicely when lights are shone on it which is good for added safety in low light. So far so good! ImageImageImage
Kwaichang

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:27 am

Kwaichang wrote:

I was referring to the cheap Chinese Rapha knockoffs :D
bigfriendlyvegan

Postby Kwaichang » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:43 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
Kwaichang wrote:

I was referring to the cheap Chinese Rapha knockoffs :D

;)
Kwaichang

Postby gobsec » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:26 pm

of the three jackets you mention i have the hardshell jacket. but from the jackets line i also have the pro team jacket and rain jacket. i recently bought the hardshell as an alternative for the pro team.

i can't compare them with any other expensive jackets because until i bought my first rapha item all i had bought for the previous three decades of adult cycling was cheaper clothing.

entering the rapha world meant entering a world of incredible comfort and delight in the details of the clothing. i reflect with chagrin on all the ill-fitting, uncomfortable, nonfunctional clothing i had worn before, and i have never gone back- everything i have purchased since has been rapha.

it may well be that the other expensive name brands, such as assos and castelli, are just as good or better, but i doubt i will ever know, as i don't buy black clothing and, refusing to cycle as a mobile billboard, i refuse to buy clothing that shouts brand names or displays loud designs. picking and choosing in the rapha range allows me to select clothing that is not black, which is graphically elegant and sparse, and where the brand name is the same colour as the background material- in other words while it is there, it really cant be seen.

i use the pro team jacket and hardshell jacket from 0 degrees up to about 14 degrees, and from there shift to long sleeve woollen jersey, and then into classic jersey as the temperatures rise.

i'm spoilt for choice and i love it!
gobsec

Postby Kwaichang » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:16 pm

gobsec wrote:of the three jackets you mention i have the hardshell jacket. but from the jackets line i also have the pro team jacket and rain jacket. i recently bought the hardshell as an alternative for the pro team.

i can't compare them with any other expensive jackets because until i bought my first rapha item all i had bought for the previous three decades of adult cycling was cheaper clothing.

entering the rapha world meant entering a world of incredible comfort and delight in the details of the clothing. i reflect with chagrin on all the ill-fitting, uncomfortable, nonfunctional clothing i had worn before, and i have never gone back- everything i have purchased since has been rapha.

it may well be that the other expensive name brands, such as assos and castelli, are just as good or better, but i doubt i will ever know, as i don't buy black clothing and, refusing to cycle as a mobile billboard, i refuse to buy clothing that shouts brand names or displays loud designs. picking and choosing in the rapha range allows me to select clothing that is not black, which is graphically elegant and sparse, and where the brand name is the same colour as the background material- in other words while it is there, it really cant be seen.

i use the pro team jacket and hardshell jacket from 0 degrees up to about 14 degrees, and from there shift to long sleeve woollen jersey, and then into classic jersey as the temperatures rise.

i'm spoilt for choice and i love it!

Yep I agree that the detail and the design of Rapha make it pretty hard to beat. And the fact the the styling is subtle is also great. I bought an Assos Bonka a few months ago and it has been great I can't fault it. Probably is packed with a few more technical features than the Rapha and also the Assos graphics and design which some people can't stomach. Rapha seems to do a similar job at a slightly cheaper (not much) price. Actually I think it's wind blocking ability is ahead of the Bonka can't comment on its wet weather handling yet.

I think I'll definitely add the hardshell Jacket to the wardrobe at some stage.
How do you find the hardshell gobsec?
Kwaichang

Postby gobsec » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:19 pm

i haven't had the hardshell long enough to give a full review but first impressions are: fits very comfortably, is really wind proof, nice high collar, good long sleeves. unfortunately i haven't had a chance to wear it yet in sustained rain (i enjoy riding in rain which is one of the reasons i bought this). when i get the chance to rise it in more extreme conditions i will give a more detailed review.

but like all my rapha clothing it is really comfortable.
gobsec

Rapha Jackets

Postby Kwaichang » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:35 pm

gobsec wrote:when i get the chance to rise it in more extreme conditions i will give a more detailed review.

Looking forward to hearing about it.
Kwaichang

Postby gobsec » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:43 pm

Kwaichang wrote:
gobsec wrote:when i get the chance to rise it in more extreme conditions i will give a more detailed review.

this morning i managed to give the jacket a little bit of a try-out in conditions it is intended for: an hour-long early ride in 11 degree temperatures (apparent temperature 8.5 degrees) and heavy rain. unfortunately the heavy rain only lasted about fifteen minutes or so, then it went to drizzle, then only wet roads, although with a fair bit of road spray at times from passing vehicles.

i was wearing a wool base layer, and was lovely and warm for the whole ride. while at the end of the ride the base layer was wet from perspiration (always the case for me) the inside of the jacket was quite dry. this interested me as my pro team jacket gets wet on the inside from perspiration.

no water leaked through the fabric, didn't get any down the neck, and jacket is well sealed at all the gaps- neck, waist, wrists.

because of the nice fit, there is no flapping of fabric in the wind (admittedly i didn't get over 60 kmh), and the back of the jacket seemed to have shed dirty water coming up off my rear wheel, so no grimy streak either from this morning.

after a bit of brekky at home, rode to work for the 40 minute commute in. no rain except for a couple of squalls, but riding into a brisk south-westerly wind (apparent temperature still 8.5 degrees). Still lovely and warm- and a great feeling putting on a dry jacket for the ride even though only 45 minutes before i had returned from a very wet ride.

so...so far quite happy.
gobsec

Postby Kwaichang » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:05 pm

gobsec wrote:
Kwaichang wrote:

this morning i managed to give the jacket a little bit of a try-out in conditions it is intended for: an hour-long early ride in 11 degree temperatures (apparent temperature 8.5 degrees) and heavy rain. unfortunately the heavy rain only lasted about fifteen minutes or so, then it went to drizzle, then only wet roads, although with a fair bit of road spray at times from passing vehicles.

i was wearing a wool base layer, and was lovely and warm for the whole ride. while at the end of the ride the base layer was wet from perspiration (always the case for me) the inside of the jacket was quite dry. this interested me as my pro team jacket gets wet on the inside from perspiration.

no water leaked through the fabric, didn't get any down the neck, and jacket is well sealed at all the gaps- neck, waist, wrists.

because of the nice fit, there is no flapping of fabric in the wind (admittedly i didn't get over 60 kmh), and the back of the jacket seemed to have shed dirty water coming up off my rear wheel, so no grimy streak either from this morning.

after a bit of brekky at home, rode to work for the 40 minute commute in. no rain except for a couple of squalls, but riding into a brisk south-westerly wind (apparent temperature still 8.5 degrees). Still lovely and warm- and a great feeling putting on a dry jacket for the ride even though only 45 minutes before i had returned from a very wet ride.

so...so far quite happy.

Thanks for the report on the Hardshell.
I have been riding the softshell all week and today it was quite cold and also had a bit of rain. I'm impressed with the water resistance of the fabric and also the jackets ability to keep in warmth. I went with only a jersey today underneath today due to my long sleeve base layer being in they wash. Still really impressed with the softshell overall and the vented underarms area real winner for me.
Expensive yes but really effective and stylish to boot.
I'm happy with my purchase.
Kwaichang

Postby senator52 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:57 pm

Been looking for a rain jacket and have been strongly considering the Rapha hardshell (because of the bright yellow colour!), ideally I wanted the soft shell but I refuse to buy a garment to be used solely in overcast/dark conditions in black. In cold conditions I'll probably stick to my Assos gilet and arm warmers for the flexibility so it will be rain only (and 95% of the time used for my 75 minute commute).

With these facts in mind, what is everyones thoughts on the hardshell for Perth winter conditions?

Thanks =)
senator52

Postby nickobec » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:47 pm

senator52 wrote:With these facts in mind, what is everyones thoughts on the hardshell for Perth winter conditions?

Other than mornings like today 3C when I was out riding, overkill

I just ordered a Castelli Gabba as my wet weather jersey (no need for a jacket), rave reviews and a temperature range on 10 to 18 C (ie typical Perth winter weather) will pair with Castelli nanoflex bib shorts, arm warmers and leg warmers for really bad days.
nickobec

Postby boss » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:54 pm

I've got a Rapha rain jacket and I love it.

It's waterproof and while I wouldn't call it breathable, it's kinda breathable. Sorta kinda. Impressed me considering its pretty much hard shell material.

Also, it's packable into a jersey pocket which is super important to me. Nothing worse than getting caught in the rain with no jacket. And I hate overheating. So it's good to be able to take it on and off at will.

And yep, in chilly 3-8 degree mornings, its good enough to keep you warm while descending if you're wearing a gilet and jersey and maybe arm warmers.

As others have said, perfect fit and super high level of attention to detail.
boss

Postby alkhoo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:19 pm

Hey all,

I'm a self-confessed Rapha-holic. I buy and wear Rapha for the reasons mentioned above by gobsec. I love the understated designs.

I've got various pieces of Rapha clothing. If you ask Her Royal Highness, I probably have too much, but she doesn't complain much because it means I'm getting some exercise and staying healthy. That and she keeps tabs for her own retail therapy. :lol:

I have a red softshell - I normally find it too warm for anything over 10 degrees. Last Sat, I did a good tempo ride in the Macedon ranges - temps hovering around 4-6 degrees - comfortable with a base layer and jersey and softshell. I have been wearing it all this week - it's about 1-2 degrees at 5am (today was -1.7) when I get to the train station for Melbourne. It's nice and comfy for the short 4-ish km ride to work, but too warm on the return ride when temperatures go above 10. I put up with it though, because I so need it by the time I get back to Kyneton in the evenings and the temp is hovering in the 4-6 degree range.

If it's sub-10 degrees but the sun is nice and high, I will usually just put on a baselayer, jersey and the softshell gilet if I'm going to pound out 35-100 k's.

I have the Rain Jacket which I used for last year's Otway Classic (it poured on the way up to Benwerrin but my upper body was nice and dry) and Amy's Gran Fondo (it was freezing in the Otways). I like to use it when the temperature is around 10-15 degrees.

If it's in the 15-18 ish range and I need something more than baselayer and jersey, I will reach for the gilet.
alkhoo

Next

Return to General discussion