Gear indicator

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Gear indicator

Postby Biffidus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:01 pm

The trigger shifter on my new bike is really inaccurate - it is a whole gear out and not adjustable (I've dismantled it to check). Is this something that I could get fixed/replaced under warranty? The bike shop isn't interested and says that it is "normal" and that the supplier will only replace the shifter if there is a mechanical defect.

Edit: Here's a video of it in action...

Biffidus

by BNA » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:09 pm

BNA

Re: Gear indicator

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Hard to tell when I can't stream vids at work. Is it possible that the indicator is out of synch with the mechanism? Is it one of the removable type? Has the LBS tried setting up the shifter again?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby andylo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:48 am

Your bike shop is a little poor form in my opinion.

My LBS will fix it for me in a heart beat.
andylo

Postby Biffidus » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:22 am

I'm really not sure if they're trying to be open and tell me what's happening or they're simply relaying messages between me and the supplier. It's very frustrating.

For those that can't see the video, it indicates a whole gear higher than the actual gear and both 10 and 11 indicate 11.

It does remove however it doesn't appear to be possible to adjust it.
Biffidus

Postby ozdavo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:44 pm

What happens at the other end? Does it reach 1, or stop prior?
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area
ozdavo

Postby RonK » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:16 am

Biffidus wrote:It does remove however it doesn't appear to be possible to adjust it.

Remove it and throw it away. Then get out and ride the bike.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby Biffidus » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:55 am

RonK wrote:
Biffidus wrote:It does remove however it doesn't appear to be possible to adjust it.

The indicator is built into the top cover - removing it would leave the mechanism open to dirt, water, etc.

ozdavo wrote:What happens at the other end? Does it reach 1, or stop prior?

It goes from 2-11 and then 11 again. So in 5th gear it indicates 6th which is worrying as 6th gear is the one that you use to make sure the hub is properly adjusted.
Biffidus

Postby queequeg » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Biffidus wrote:
RonK wrote:

The indicator is built into the top cover - removing it would leave the mechanism open to dirt, water, etc.

ozdavo wrote:What happens at the other end? Does it reach 1, or stop prior?

It goes from 2-11 and then 11 again. So in 5th gear it indicates 6th which is worrying as 6th gear is the one that you use to make sure the hub is properly adjusted.

So, just ignore the indicator. You can easily see which sprocket you are on at all times anyway (or just count the clicks), and the numbers are pretty meaningless. You can simply look at the rear cassette when adjusting and make sure you are on the desired sprocket.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby ozdavo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:51 pm

queequeg wrote:.You can easily see which sprocket you are on at all times anyway (or just count the clicks), and the numbers are pretty meaningless. You can simply look at the rear cassette when adjusting and make sure you are on the desired sprocket.

I think this is an Alfine 11 speed internal geared hub, so looking wont help, but I agree gear displays are not really helpful (if its too hard, go to an easier gear until there are no more clicks).

But in respect to the OP, I can understand his frustration of this not working correctly on a new bike. I personally have never seen these in the flesh, so can't comment on whether or not this is a normal/common fault. I'd drop into a few LBS's to see if this issue is isolated to your bike (or bikes setup by your LBS???), then insist your LBS take it up with the distributor.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area
ozdavo

Postby queequeg » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:10 pm

ozdavo wrote:
queequeg wrote:.You can easily see which sprocket you are on at all times anyway (or just count the clicks), and the numbers are pretty meaningless. You can simply look at the rear cassette when adjusting and make sure you are on the desired sprocket.

I think this is an Alfine 11 speed internal geared hub, so looking wont help, but I agree gear displays are not really helpful (if its too hard, go to an easier gear until there are no more clicks).

But in respect to the OP, I can understand his frustration of this not working correctly on a new bike. I personally have never seen these in the flesh, so can't comment on whether or not this is a normal/common fault. I'd drop into a few LBS's to see if this issue is isolated to your bike (or bikes setup by your LBS???), then insist your LBS take it up with the distributor.

Ah, yes, internal 11-speed would make it hard to see, but I would just count the clicks up or down. That is how I usually do it on my bike when our riding.

The last time I checked the indicator in a trigger shifter, it is not a tricky mechanism. It might just be getting snagged on something.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby Cruiserman » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:53 am

dont worry about the readout, if your legs are going round too fast change to a harder gear - continue this till legs spinning at a comfortable cadence. If they arent spinning fast enough and it is too hard to go faster change to an easier gear, again continue to change till comfort is achieved. Do you look at the gear knob in the car (assuming you drive a manual) to see where to go next or do you listen to the car.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600
Cruiserman

Postby blkmcs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:16 am

Biffidus wrote:...

Maybe the adjustment is needed at the hub rather than at the shifting lever; it does sound as though your LBS has not done a good job on the setup.

this might help.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 713437.pdf
Too old to live, too slow to die.
blkmcs

Postby donny70 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:18 am

Cruiserman wrote:dont worry about the readout, if your legs are going round too fast change to a harder gear - continue this till legs spinning at a comfortable cadence. If they arent spinning fast enough and it is too hard to go faster change to an easier gear, again continue to change till comfort is achieved.

I second that. My wife was constantly looking at the readout when we were mountain cycling so I covered it with black tape. She doesn't have crashes anymore...
donny70

Postby Biffidus » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:25 pm

I've had a read through the technical docs and opened up the indicator part of the shifter to see how it works. The hub is properly adjusted - the yellow marks line up in 6th gear (that's actual sixth gear, not the 5th gear that is selected when the indicator says 6) and there doesn't appear to be any obstructions in the mechanism. None of the other shifters I've checked out are particularly accurate however they are much more accurate than mine.

It doesn't affect the operation of the shifter or the gears but it does bug me. Is it unreasonable to expect this sort of stuff to work properly? Why bother putting a gear indicator on if it is so poorly designed/manufactured that it doesn't even point to the right gear?
Biffidus

Postby djw47 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:01 am

Ignore it, you're either in too high a gear in which case drop down until you are pedalling comfortably, or in too low a gear in which case go up until you are pedalling efficiently. If you need a gear indicator to tell you that then you're not cycling properly.
djw47

Postby The Walrus » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:22 am

I would agree with everyone's general stance that you should go by feel but on a new bike this is totally unacceptable.

My LBS would go out of their way to sort any minor problem (trued my wheel on the spot for nothing last week!) and that is what keeps me spending with them and not online!

Retailers that behave like this shouldn't be in business.
Never underestimate the power of ignorance
The Walrus

Return to General discussion