Min 1 Metre may be law

beauyboy

Min 1 Metre may be law

Postby beauyboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:34 am

In the wake of public outcry of the Court decision with regard to the death of Richard Pollett the Queensland Government has agreed to review the road rules around bicycles.
http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/ ... -for-bikes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... 2nsxy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and the couriermail, please remember to vote in the poll as more than likely the paper will use it's own poll as a news article tomorrow
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 6658948691" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

The 2nd Womble

Re: Min 1 Metre may be law

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:53 am

Today is a good day!!!
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:37 am

Has anyone seen the comment posted by 'Kitten' at 7:30am today in response to the CM article? It still amazes me that people can be that stupid. Does she really think that motorists never break the law? Seriously? :roll:

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:05 am

The poll is stupid. I want to select more than one but I don't want to select all of the above.

Also I managed to vote for the least voted for choice, yay.

alf

Postby alf » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:50 am

VRE wrote:Has anyone seen the comment posted by 'Kitten' at 7:30am today in response to the CM article? It still amazes me that people can be that stupid. Does she really think that motorists never break the law? Seriously? :roll:
The comment by Peter Feldon (self proclaimed Heavy Vehicle driver) is far more concerning.
He seems to indicate that he is not aware that he should not over take any vehicle unless it is safe to do so.

I would have expected Heavy Vehicle driver's licenses were subject to more rigorous training and testing requirements to ensure safe professional behavior.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:54 am

I just replied to Peter's copmment.

Agree, his comment about (Having to cross the double lines, sometimes on a curve" is quite appalling.

Kev.

richbee

Postby richbee » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:17 am

A bicycle awareness campaign, and enforcement of existing laws, will do far more for cycling safety that making new laws that aren't going to be properly enforced anyway.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:23 am

I voted for the 1m rule. Exercise in futility though when you read the braindead moronic comments posted. I pity you poor buggers who live in that red neck state :(
Dogs are the best people :wink:

chill1995

Postby chill1995 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:21 pm

-sigh- the usual cringeworthy comments from bogan Queenslanders on cycling stories.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:45 pm

Brilliant stuff, Dave. Great work.

It is very important to keep the pressure on the inquiry by supplying evidence and reasoned arguments built from them on how the 1.5 metre rule would work. What we don't want of course is for filtering through stationary traffic to be banned: insisting that we can only get the 1.5m rule at the loss of the ability to filter is a false assertion.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:27 pm

The comment concerning the type of roads we should ride on was a good one to, I'm sorry but narrow roads are the only type in my area, so I suppose I should just stay home. And i guess the truckie is forgetting how many vehicles he holds up when he is loaded and has to crawl up and down hills, yet I don't cross double centre lines to go past.

On a side note there is meant to be a story on the local news tonight concerning the push to get rules changed for cyclists.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:46 pm

Would also be chuffed if this happens in NSW:
Greens MP Jamie Parker has given notice of a Bill to require at least 1 metre overtaking distance when passing cyclists, in response to NSW being named the worst state for cyclist fatalities.

“NSW is the most dangerous state to be a cyclist, with an average of 11 deaths per year for the past decade, constituting 30% of the country’s total fatalities.

“The Australian Road Rules are failing bicycle riders and we must act urgently to save lives. I am appealing to the government and opposition to support this crucial and practical reform.

“Bicycle riders are physically vulnerable and need to be protected – we should be encouraging cyclists and ensuring they are safe.

“This legislation would also provide drivers with a clear, easily recognised measure when overtaking bicycle riders.

“NSW guidelines already recommend a minimum of 1 metre passing distance, demonstrating that the Government agrees this is an appropriate distance to protect cyclists.

“The existing recommendation is failing because it doesn’t have the force of the law – we must have a legally enforceable minimum passing distance to protect cyclists and prevent further loss of life,” Mr Parker said.
http://www.jamieparker.org.au/nsw-named ... vertaking/
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:11 pm

Warthog1 wrote:
I voted for the 1m rule. Exercise in futility though when you read the braindead moronic comments posted. I pity you poor buggers who live in that red neck state

I think the comments are pretty universal. Bogans are everywhere unfortunately. I see the old "cyclists should be registered"" comments being recycled again.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:22 pm

The problem with specifying a specific distance is that most people are hopeless at judging it. In practical terms, if you are in a 2m wide car and want to pass a cyclist who is riding 1m out from the gutter, then you need to be a 4m wide lane to overtake without changing lanes.
The prosecution of an offence should be easy though. If Road width - Car width is 1m or less, you can't pass without changing lanes, which is what the current law says anyway (in NSW at least)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:22 pm

ozzymac wrote:The comment concerning the type of roads we should ride on was a good one to, I'm sorry but narrow roads are the only type in my area, so I suppose I should just stay home. And i guess the truckie is forgetting how many vehicles he holds up when he is loaded and has to crawl up and down hills, yet I don't cross double centre lines to go past.
IMO it is the MGIF syndrome coming to the fore. The difference between a cyclist and almost everyone else on the road is size. A cyclist looks so small that most drivers think they just have to (and can) get in front whereas a driver would think twice and three times before MGIF-ing a huge truck over double lines.

A loaded horse-float (similar to a car with trailer but slower due to the stupid animals in the back) on a single laned twisty road does not move very fast. There was a running joke at my club as to how many cars you could bank up behind your float on double-lined twisty turny roads in the area (I think someone got up to the 20s). None of the drivers in the vehicles behind the floats crossed the double lines (honking out their frustration may be another story).

I think more education should be done on the current road rules and the fact that if you cannot give sufficient distance (1m or 1.5 or whatever) then the correct thing to do is legally change lanes and overtake or if you cannot legally overtake, curb your MGIF impatience and aggression and just wait until a suitable, legal time to overtake.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:42 pm

What is MGIF?

I googled and got the following

Rank Abbr. Meaning

MGIF Mobile Games Interoperability Forum
MGIF Molecular Genetics Instrumentation Facility (University of Georgia)
MGIF MediaGate International Federation, Inc.
MGIF Microbial Growth Inhibitory Factor

http://www.acronymfinder.com/MGIF.html

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:49 pm

Tornado wrote:What is MGIF?

Rank Abbr. Meaning

The last one.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:01 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:
Tornado wrote:What is MGIF?

Rank Abbr. Meaning

The last one.
:lol: at The 2nd Womble.

Apologies, Tornado. MGIF = Must Get In Front.

(Unless you were being facetious, then you got me. :P)

rogan

Postby rogan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:10 pm

Looked at the Courier Mail comments. Blaa.

But what I found curious was they had 31 comments, 80-90% taking a broadly bogan perspective, with hardly any typos and ending promptly at 7.30 this morning.

What gives? Are the CM moderators fixing the spelling errors? And did they (the moderators or the "contributors") give up the ghost early this morning?

Strange.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Just as I predicted the poll has been used in the article with no indication that the story has been updated
A Courier Mail online survey of readers has found locals are partial to a number of new measures.

Nearly 20 per cent of readers who participated in the poll were in favour of laws to keep cyclists a set distance apart and a similar number supported banning bikes from high traffic roads.
This is why we always need to be very aware of these articles that have polls attached

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:49 pm

beauyboy wrote:
Nearly 20 per cent of readers who participated in the poll were in favour of laws to keep cyclists a set distance apart
Um there are laws around that already aren't there? Something to the effect of cyclists being able to ride 2 abreast but not more than 1.5m apart?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:14 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
beauyboy wrote:
Nearly 20 per cent of readers who participated in the poll were in favour of laws to keep cyclists a set distance apart
Um there are laws around that already aren't there? Something to the effect of cyclists being able to ride 2 abreast but not more than 1.5m apart?
Yup

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:20 pm

I can't believe that people are having trouble with 1.5mtrs.

Simple. You hit a cyclist you've clearly breached 1.5 mtrs.
2012 Oppy A4

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:26 pm

I agreed with the all if the above option, except the one requiring no riding on busy multi lane roads.

Disappointingly rigged poll choices! :(

But a metre is a good outcome.

Perhaps in light of this poll, we need to do some more organised replies to these topics... Just as the "bogans" do. ;)

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:31 pm

I think its just a matter of time before the 1 metre rule becomes law. The question is, how many more cyclists must die before this happens?

I'd like to see it go a lot further.

How about a law that if a motor vehicle hits a cyclist, the motor vehicle is ALWAYS at fault and we have SERIOUS penalties instead of the slap on the writs motorists get for murdering cyclists at the moment.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"