External Battery for Flashlight

open topic, for anything cycling related.

External Battery for Flashlight

Postby mattwilkinson » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:11 am

Hi guys,

I got an awesome deal on a fake XM-L T6 Cree Torch.
http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/103854

I have it mounted but the battery only lasts 1-2 hours.
Instead of switching batteries out. Can you DIY a external battery pack to strap to the frame?

Has anyone done this successfully.
mattwilkinson

by BNA » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:45 am

BNA

Re: External Battery for Flashlight

Postby kukamunga » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:45 am

Yes. I'd consider running a homemade 4 x rechargeable AA battery pack, but it'd probably be a lot cheaper just to buy another torch or battery

Start by getting yourself a Jaycar Electronics catalogue.....
God save the ABC & SBS.....
kukamunga

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:28 pm

It is easy enough to wire up the torch so that it is 1s2p with an additional external battery, but I don't think it is worth the effort. I would advise against using a NiMH based external pack if you are keeping the li-ion internal battery & 4xAAs will give you a shorter run time than 1 x 18650 li-ion due to the current draw.

The number 1 benefit of using a torch is that it is self contained and waterproof, once you start having wires coming out you will be affecting that.

To my mind at least a better option would be to use better batteries, as the ones supplied with that sort of light are usually pretty woeful but in terms of current delivered and in capacity. I would recommend Panasonic or NCR with a capacity of 3100 or 3400 mAh. You will pay more for two batteries than you did for the torch though.
find_bruce

Postby John Lewis » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:30 pm

I recall way back Pushy came up with a battery box setup.

He had two 18650's in an Eclipse Mint tin. Wood or rubber I think he used and drawing pins inside for contacts. You need to flatten the lip of the tin for the batteries to fit. A piece of dowel with drawing pins inside the torch. You needed a hole drilled in the torch for the wires. 18650's would be in parallel not series of course. You need to do a bit of soldering.

I have one made up for my DealExtreme Ultrafire torch. A friend did similar but uses 4 x 18650. He put them in bits of PVC and fashioned a bottle cage holder.

I'm sure there was a how to do it thread but all I can find are some pictures here.
Hope this helps,

http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic ... ack#p80586

Read down a few posts for more details.

John
John Lewis

Postby Pushy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:59 am

Here you go but Ive since found some 18650 battey holders on ebay like this or this
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km
Pushy

Postby John Lewis » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:47 pm

Thanks Pushy.
Knew I'd seen it.
Might get me a couple of those holders for a project I have. Good find.

John
John Lewis

Postby yellagonga » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:55 pm

ofcourse it is possible.

But if you are going to buy a seperate battery anyway, you are not limited to just a torch or even a bike light.

On my mountain bike I have a 8 inch 40Watt 4wd HID LED light bar across the handlebars, 2x15W LED downlight globes under the handle bars, 2x7W LED downlight globes on the helmet and 1 30Watt bike specific HID light on the helmet. Powered by 2 4Amphr 20volt lithium bateries, 1 3amphr 18volt lithium battery and 1 what ever the bike light came with. Totals 114 watts of led light.
yellagonga

Postby Jean » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:59 pm

yellagonga wrote:ofcourse it is possible.

But if you are going to buy a seperate battery anyway, you are not limited to just a torch or even a bike light.

On my mountain bike I have a 8 inch 40Watt 4wd HID LED light bar across the handlebars, 2x15W LED downlight globes under the handle bars, 2x7W LED downlight globes on the helmet and 1 30Watt bike specific HID light on the helmet. Powered by 2 4Amphr 20volt lithium bateries, 1 3amphr 18volt lithium battery and 1 what ever the bike light came with. Totals 114 watts of led light.

Photos of light output, or it never happened :D
Jean

Return to General discussion