Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby TraceyG » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:45 am

An otherwise interesting article in the Melbourne Age about the Tour de France ruined by a needless barb: "Warning: over the next couple of weeks, blokes in too-tight Lycra suits bearing the names of sponsors they don't actually have will be pushing even harder, inspired to annoy motorists as only a group of bike riders can."

It doesn't add anything to the actual article http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/cycle-of-nostalgia-finally-hits-the-road-20130627-2p06e.html and just reinforces to the broader community that us silly cyclists are fair game to everyone else on the roads.

Why don't these journalists attack footy fans where wear their team colors with sponsors' badges?
TraceyG
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:06 pm

by BNA » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:52 am

BNA
 

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby celeste boy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:52 am

Sydney people don't miss out.

Same article in the Herald in the television commentary.

CB
Image
celeste boy
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:56 am
Location: Bowral

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:58 am

Funny, the last paragraph (which is discussing a TV show) says 'This is the work of a terrific journalist. The archival footage is great, the dramatic reconstructions work well and Masters' narrative is thoughtful and nicely provocative.'. Obviously Tony Squires didn't pick up any tips from the style of Chris Masters....

TraceyG wrote:...
Why don't these journalists attack footy fans where wear their team colors with sponsors' badges?


Yes, I've often argued that point, which people get stumped at. Especially since you have to go out of your way to find a plain cycling shirt (I struggled to find one, so I bought 3 when I found them :lol: ). It's kinda the same as wearing a Billabong or any brand label isn't it? You don't have any affiliation with the brand, you just wear the shirt..
User avatar
FuzzyDropbear
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm
Location: Ballarat, VIC

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:24 pm

Yes, there seems to be nothing wrong with people wearing too tight footy shorts that leave nothing to the imagination - the general public doesn't complain about that. The unfortunate thing is that footy-short person is usually sitting on the train, sprawled out... :oops:

Anyhow - the link to the article above is great, it gives the Newspaper even more traffic and advertising views. So they've achieved their aims.
Last edited by g-boaf on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
g-boaf
 
Posts: 3924
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby Pravda » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:29 pm

Jesus, it's just poking fun guys, the oversensitivity in some parts of this forum is amazing. Quit playing the victim card and get over it.

Tony Squires pokes fun at sports in pretty much everything he does.
2011 Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX
Raceline Keith Oliver Signature Edition
User avatar
Pravda
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: Perth NOR

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:32 pm

Pravda wrote:Jesus, it's just poking fun guys, the oversensitivity in some parts of this forum is amazing. Quit playing the victim card and get over it.

Tony Squires pokes fun at sports in pretty much everything he does.


+1 for mine.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5690
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:38 pm

Pravda wrote:Jesus, it's just poking fun guys, the oversensitivity in some parts of this forum is amazing. Quit playing the victim card and get over it.

Tony Squires pokes fun at sports in pretty much everything he does.


I'm just poking fun too... The difference is that Rugby League is some sort of sacred thing.
User avatar
g-boaf
 
Posts: 3924
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:58 pm

Actually, I'm one of the first people to join in a joke at my expense, so no 'oversensitivity' from my end. How many times do you hear the same old rubbish when discussing cyclists rights on the roads? The papers that publish that sort of view only help to feed that perception that cyclists don't have a right to be on the road. I'm happy for people to make fun and joke about how I go out and ride to get a la-de-dah latte, which have stopped after people realised I don't fit that stereotype because I'm always covered in mud and out in the forest, but I'm happy for people to have a laugh and joke at my expense.

I get annoyed if people start crapping on about how I go out to deliberately annoy and hold up motorists, it's those reinforced negative perceptions of cycling that won't help improve the interactions between motorists and cyclists.

Cheers.
User avatar
FuzzyDropbear
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm
Location: Ballarat, VIC

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby BastardSheep » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:13 pm

I was ok with it until this bit "inspired to annoy motorists as only a group of bike riders can". That's the part that's really a dig imho, and not a light-hearted "laughing with them" way.
n=1 | 2006 Learsport TR3240 Hardtail
User avatar
BastardSheep
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:54 pm
Location: Sydney.

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby lobstermash » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:40 pm

Remember the influence of motoring lobby groups on media outlets....

However let's be fair - there are usually plenty of off-the-cuff criticisms of hoon drivers around motoring event dates.
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:51 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby TDC » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:44 pm

Maybe he is referring to the July only warriors.

My 75 yo father has been riding from adelaide airport to Glenelg for the past decade. A 25 km round trip that he would do 5 - 6 times per week. Every year in January he complains about the once a year riders that appear at Tour down Under time. He reckon they ride all over the place, and lack road skills and manners. There are pelotons of red faced middle aged riders, huffing and puffing their way down the road. Then he says the day after the race finishes, he doesn't see them for another year. :lol:
TDC
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:37 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby zero » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:50 pm

TDC wrote:Maybe he is referring to the July only warriors.

My 75 yo father has been riding from adelaide airport to Glenelg for the past decade. A 25 km round trip that he would do 5 - 6 times per week. Every year in January he complains about the once a year riders that appear at Tour down Under time. He reckon they ride all over the place, and lack road skills and manners. There are pelotons of red faced middle aged riders, huffing and puffing their way down the road. Then he says the day after the race finishes, he doesn't see them for another year. :lol:


Dunno about you soft curlybar riders, but I'll be out training in July on my manly mountain bike for the 3 Ring Circus. (where i will manfully struggle in at least an hour behind the quickest female riders!)

As far as road manners goes, parking a car at the kerb and blocking a quarter of the road for as long as one feels like is worse than anything any cyclist does ever.
Last edited by zero on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zero
 
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby VRE » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:51 pm

This sort of ridicule of cyclists in the media is pretty widespread. Of course, reporting it to ACMA would require extensive evidence, and no doubt the staff at ACMA are mostly motorists, just like the rest of the Australian populace. It's simply prejudice against cyclists, and no amount of "it's only light-hearted humour, get over it" comments will really change that fact. We live in a country where prejudice against others on the basis of sex, religion, ethnicity, etc. is considered abhorrent and yet prejudice against cyclists is socially acceptable.
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby TDC » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:58 pm

zero wrote:
TDC wrote:Maybe he is referring to the July only warriors.

My 75 yo father has been riding from adelaide airport to Glenelg for the past decade. A 25 km round trip that he would do 5 - 6 times per week. Every year in January he complains about the once a year riders that appear at Tour down Under time. He reckon they ride all over the place, and lack road skills and manners. There are pelotons of red faced middle aged riders, huffing and puffing their way down the road. Then he says the day after the race finishes, he doesn't see them for another year. :lol:


Dunno about you soft curlybar riders, but I'll be out training in July on my manly mountain bike for the 3 Ring Circus. (where i will manfully struggle in at least an hour behind the quickest female riders!)


what do you do for the rest of the year? :lol:
TDC
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:37 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby zero » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:25 pm

TDC wrote:
zero wrote:
TDC wrote:Maybe he is referring to the July only warriors.

My 75 yo father has been riding from adelaide airport to Glenelg for the past decade. A 25 km round trip that he would do 5 - 6 times per week. Every year in January he complains about the once a year riders that appear at Tour down Under time. He reckon they ride all over the place, and lack road skills and manners. There are pelotons of red faced middle aged riders, huffing and puffing their way down the road. Then he says the day after the race finishes, he doesn't see them for another year. :lol:


Dunno about you soft curlybar riders, but I'll be out training in July on my manly mountain bike for the 3 Ring Circus. (where i will manfully struggle in at least an hour behind the quickest female riders!)


what do you do for the rest of the year? :lol:


ride a soft curlybar bike :)
zero
 
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby TTar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:35 pm

BastardSheep wrote:I was ok with it until this bit "inspired to annoy motorists as only a group of bike riders can". That's the part that's really a dig imho, and not a light-hearted "laughing with them" way.


That's exactly right and it's not being "oversensitive" to object to it.

The best that can be said about it is that it's a lazy and thoughtless joke, but that doesn't excuse the bigotry behind the second part of the remark (ask Eddie Maguire about that) and more importantly it only serves to reinforce the hatred of the bogan motorist -- who knows, maybe it'll be this one "harmless" joke that inspires a lunatic to "teach a cyclist a lesson".

Imagine if Tony Squires was reviewing a doco about Gay history and wrote "Warning: over the next couple of weeks, gay blokes in tight-fitting outfits will be even more flamboyant, inspired to annoy heterosexuals as only a group of gays can."

With good reason, there's laws against that sort of vilification -- a high profile mainstream writer should be aware of the sort of impact a cheap joke can have.
Sent from my fortified compound
TTar
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:41 pm

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby biker jk » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:43 pm

It's a pity you can't comment on Tony Squires article. :x
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 2579
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby Percrime » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Had a cricketer step in front of me on a shared path a year or so ago. And then have a go at me wearing lycra. While wearing full cricket kit. Man I took him apart. The bunch of kids he was trying to impress were laughing their heads off.
Percrime
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 am

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:18 pm

If a certain advocacy group with a mantra of safety thinks it is ok to reinforce negative stereotypes of cyclists, why would a journalist be any better ?
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:02 pm

If it's just a matter of joking and having a bit of a dig, by all means go for it, this is Australia, that's the sense of humour we have. I used to be a welder, can you imagine the ribbing I got turning up to work in my cycling gear?

The problem is that reinforcing these backwards views of cycling in mainstream media is not just a joke, it's a matter of life and death. I would quite like not to end up under some lunatic's car because he thought I was just "out to annoy motorists".
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 6502
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby Riggsbie » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:08 pm

It's just lazy journalism......

There is not 'real' story so they just dig out the usual nonsense and prejudices....


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Image
User avatar
Riggsbie
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:55 pm
Location: Geelong, Vic

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby il padrone » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:36 am

ldrcycles wrote:The problem is that reinforcing these backwards views of cycling in mainstream media is not just a joke, it's a matter of life and death. I would quite like not to end up under some lunatic's car because he thought I was just "out to annoy motorists".

Even worse when said lunatic motorist tells the judge "It was just a bit of a joke"

:roll:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18248
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 am

il padrone wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:The problem is that reinforcing these backwards views of cycling in mainstream media is not just a joke, it's a matter of life and death. I would quite like not to end up under some lunatic's car because he thought I was just "out to annoy motorists".

Even worse when said lunatic motorist tells the judge "It was just a bit of a joke"

:roll:



It is freedom of speech and freedom of opinion. That means you are allowed to preach hatred and openly provocative opinions. If you say otherwise, you are just one of those tree hugging, Socialist-Commies who shouldn't have a right to vote or be heard. ;)

The media in this country are a joke. All extremely right wing. How I'd love to see a couple of left wing newspapers here to balance things out a bit. (And no, SMH is as right wing as News Ltd is).
User avatar
g-boaf
 
Posts: 3924
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Melbourne Age can't resist cycling barb

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:06 pm

g-boaf wrote:
The media in this country are a joke. All extremely right wing. How I'd love to see a couple of left wing newspapers here to balance things out a bit. (And no, SMH is as right wing as News Ltd is).


Correct, there is right wing and extreme right wing. Hopefully when Rupert finally shuffles off his son won't be quite so bad, probably dreaming though :(
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2793
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm


Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cage, ironhanglider, matthecat, riverride, roller



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit