2nd hand K-mart bike for 133% more than new

bychosis

Re: 2nd hand K-mart bike for 133% more than new

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:18 am

...and we still don't know what 'international forum' the alleged 'jemmy' comes from with her pseudo legal and poorly constructed sentences came from.

Yes, it is not possible to purchase a ride away bike from k-mart, but the value of assembling one, peeling off a sticker or two and taking a fancy photo and talking it up does not equate to the listed price in the advertisement.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

lucky7

Postby lucky7 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:55 am

Mulger bill wrote:And this is why you aren't allowed to pour rum over your cornflakes, son.
But Baileys on Coco Pops is just amazing.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:58 am

lucky7 wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:And this is why you aren't allowed to pour rum over your cornflakes, son.
But Baileys on Coco Pops is just amazing.
Now that sounds delicious!

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:58 am

Hmmmm. Charging some money for assembling the thing seems reasonable actually. IF it were represented that way.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:59 am

Please excuse the lack of humor however I am explaining this for the benefit of new bike riders to help protect them from these dodgy practices.

What Jenny is trying to say is that their service or added value is:

1. Complete assembly of a supermarket bike
2. Remove the stickers
3. Take nice photos and provide creative text and sell on Gumtree

This however is not stated, key information is intentionally ommitted and fibs are told, the buyer received it as a present but needs to sell.

1. Complete assembly of a supermarket bike
- Assembly of Kmart bikes is basic
- Kmart generally wouldn't do test rides, this is not their business model rather they concentrate on low end products with low-end prices that typically appeal to novices
- If you have incorrectly assembled the product then this can mean potential injury or worse to the buyer
- It is not stated in the classified adverts that your service is assembly

2. Remove the stickers
- A matter of taste, no problems however the intention is more like that of concealing the origin

3. Take nice photos and provide creative text
- No problems with genuine and honest sales but.....
- using words like GIANT or suggestions that it is high-end is intentionally misleading
- It is unethical to knowingly omit information

Essentially this is a business / business model which is promoting cheap supermarket bicycles as something they are not. While it is a fair business model to create a value added service - this is generally done in a honest way which means the customers knows what the service is and what the value added is. Your gumtree adverts prey on people who don't have a cycling background - includes incorrect information and is essentially wrong.

You still havn't explained your relationship with the seller and it is fascinating that you should have such indepth insights with your example of the devastated customer, it is unusually conincidental or more likely it is another round fo creative writing far removed from reality.
Cycling is in my BNA

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:18 am

When I asked Kmart to sell me a bike with high end features only found on a handful of professional bikes, they laughed at me...?! I was devastated. :cry:
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

TTar

Postby TTar » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:12 am

Are you flirting with me, ausbike? :P

I mean, you use my name seven times in one post, you've obviously been thinking about me a lot. :oops: We should go out on a breakfast date sometime. How's Passiona on Froot Loops sound? It's the breakfast us celebrities prefer. :mrgreen:

I'm really sorry to hear about the 'devastated young lady', but if she's somehow misinterpreting my posts here as "advice" and is actually acting on that perceived "advice", she has other more pressing personal "issues" to deal with that won't be resolved with the purchase of an obscenely overpriced and misrepresented 2nd hand K-mart bike from a peculiar Gumtree seller.

Meantime, tell the devastated young lady I'll lend her a bike next time she needs one to go on a fun ride and I'll even help her buy a bike without getting ripped-off by sleazy sellers.

I would be suggesting she not buy either of these two bikes which were posted on Gumtree at about the same time you posted your latest missive here, ausbike;

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-r ... 1023802564

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-r ... 1023803492

EDIT: Oh no, the above ads appear to have been removed. They're still on my computer though, so as a service to the discriminating consumer here's the sort of text you should look out for;

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Selling for $280 low price to reach the right owner quickly and save time. Shimáno with the latest Microshìft and Smooth Ride technology in top condition.

A couple of months new bicycle, rarely used, I made a decision to pass it on to someone who can make full use of it before I move on.

The near new bike is powered by Shimáno's renown multi-speed technology, Hill climbing is easy and fun, either on hilly city roads or the mountains.

The latest carbon black Microshìft for precision control with ease, CSS impact absorbent system (active), Tough yet durable construction with suspensions for smooth rides to ease your trek, Strong power giant claw alloy pull brakes. Reliable and fun to ride.

Stylish bike with full mountain power, ergonomic design complete with high energy black-red colour scheme.

26" full size adjustable, Shimáno M296ATB Versatile All-Terrain, suitable for a male or female adult rider.

Parked indoor, well looked after, in top condition. City pickup only, priority reply to mobile users.

-----
new: will take 190 if you can save both of us some time by picking up straight away or as soon as I get home...

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Shimâno Hybrid700C, Giant European Bike, Innovative Speed-up technology, Extended Triple Mountain Power, City Style - the latest Hybrid Advanced Bicycle

Due to travel arrangement, I am making my beloved near new bicycle available to a good owner, it's rarely used as there has been so many exciting changes to keep me busy for the last few months.

700C is very popular in Europe, North America and is increasingly taken advantage by smart local riders and travellers alike in Australia.

It's equipped with

- Speed road wheels, 700C alloy slim built for high speed riding, slow trek is a thing of the past (you can ride slowly if you choose to, speed riding makes this bike even more fun and exciting)
- Shimâno leading speed up technology, proven reliability enhanced with the latest microshift for the smoothest riding experience
- All-Terrain Certified with original seals, maximum versatility for a rider who wants to do more with one bike, excellent for keeping warm and fit
- Extended triple mountain power (3x 6speeds +3), fun and easy to climb hills, full control flying downhill
- Ergonomic bike with a generous cushy seat, very comfortable even after a long ride, gone are those uncomfortable saddles on old bikes

- Innovative one-piece alloy stem, lighter, stronger, for easy handling and steady steering control, a uniqe feature seen only in a handful of Advanced bikes

- Advanced smart stand to allow the bike to stand securely on its own
- Dècent 700C giant size to help taller rider to ride comfortably
- Silent cruising technology with Advanced double suspensions for better enjoyment
- Elegant design with simplicity

It runs silky smooth, the closer you look, the more you ride, the more you would appreciate its great design and excellent engineering.

At $350 low price for easy decision and save time, you may see a lower price on this page, you are welcome to take up the offer if you value a good bike and pick it up quickly.

Last edited by TTar on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my fortified compound

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:22 am

TTar wrote:I would be suggesting she not buy either of these two bikes which were posted on Gumtree at about the same time you posted your latest missive here, ausbike;
they are already gone. anyone know how to search by a particular seller on gumtree?

TTar

Postby TTar » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:36 am

jasonc wrote:
TTar wrote:I would be suggesting she not buy either of these two bikes which were posted on Gumtree at about the same time you posted your latest missive here, ausbike;
they are already gone. anyone know how to search by a particular seller on gumtree?

There's a "see sellers other items" sort of button you can click on, but these oddities never include a name and different addresses as if there's no connection between these sellers...

I bet ausbike could help out with this.

...ausbike?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:46 am

TTar wrote:
jasonc wrote:they are already gone. anyone know how to search by a particular seller on gumtree?

There's a "see sellers other items" sort of button you can click on, but these oddities never include a name and different addresses as if there's no connection between these sellers...

I bet ausbike could help out with this.

...ausbike?
or we'd need one of the seller's items that haven't been removed

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:54 am

I couldn't find seller's details when I saw the previous two up on Gumtree. I don't know where to look though if there is somewhere special I have to click so please enlighten me. All I could see was the contact form to email the seller (which I wasn't going to do).

I would suggest to Ausbike's devastated female customer that if she had registered for a 'Fun Ride' without already having a bike (bit strange, IMO, but not entirely implausible) and desperately needed a fully functioning bicycle to ride out of the store on, that she head to a dedicated bicycle store to purchase one instead of the local KMart. The bicycle stores do usually have floor stock for sale.

I'm now off to stock up on more popcorn...

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:37 pm

Tough yet durable
Wow. I thought you could only pick one of those, didn't know you could get both in the same frame.

Like they say, "tough, durable, strong", pick any two.

;)

redned

Postby redned » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:55 pm

TTar wrote: Shimâno Hybrid700C, Giant European Bike, Innovative Speed-up technology, Extended Triple Mountain Power, City Style - the latest Hybrid Advanced Bicycle.
I want one of these.

This bike has so many features it is hard to understand why there aren't more of them on the road (or even off the road seeing that it is "All-Terrain Certified"). It even has an "Advanced smart stand to allow the bike to stand securely on its own" unlike other stands that don't allow the bike to stand on its own.

And I want to be one of those smart local riders that take advantage of 700C wheels. You don't see many of those.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:57 pm

TTar wrote:A seller on gumtree is offering this bike for $350;

Image and Cached Version Here (ad was removed)

It looks remarkably similar to K-mart's "Southern Star Citi" bike with the "Southern Star" stickers removed;

Last time I saw it in store, it was available for its regular price of $150.

The description is something to behold; http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-c ... 022819958#. My favourite bit is; "strengths and features seen only in a handful of pro bikes ".

I think this seller has been doing the same thing for a couple of years -- it's amazing to think there's enough gullible people around to sustain this, um... activity for so long.,
It seems as though some people may be forgetting what was actually in the OP, so I have quoted it (with my highlights). Remind me again jenny where it was said that anyone could walk into K-mart and buy it for that exact price and walk out on the spot with it built? Oh, thats right, it wasnt said.

For interests sake, here is the bike straight from K-marts website i.e. their info, not mine. It's $149 on their online store. Plus delivery. Also available in store. Plus the disclaimer quoted below at the bottom of the page.
Kmart website wrote:Please Note: Local store prices may vary from those displayed. Products shown as available are normally stocked but inventory levels cannot be guaranteed.
As for whats going on with the ad's on Gumtree, maybe we need to join the international forum to find out? Jenny? Link please?
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Shimáno - is that Shimano with a limited edition liquid paper upgrade?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:08 pm

I have seen that department store bikes can be assembled by the store for a fee, but I don't think it is anywhere near $200. Probably more like $30-$50. Must cost a lot to take a fancy pic and peel off two stickers.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:18 pm

bychosis wrote:Must cost a lot to put the fork on backwarks.
FTFY

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:20 pm

That description reminds me of an infomercial I saw in NZ once, advertising a hybrid type bike with automatic gears on it (in reality a Shimano Tourney RD with a flywheel attachment instead of a shifter). Along with the repeated shots of people nearly crashing into cars due to 'dangerous' normal dérailleur systems distracting them from the road, the infomercial listed features of the bike. Some of these were fair enough for an (admittedly outrageously overpriced) BSO, like a suspension seatpost. However, one of the features listed was "Frame Geometry".

I want me a bike with frame geometry!
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

TTar

Postby TTar » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:32 pm

jasonc wrote: they are already gone. anyone know how to search by a particular seller on gumtree?
At the bottom of a Gumtree item's description, if the same seller is selling other items, condensed versions of a couple of those other ads will appear with a link immediately below and to the right reading "All ads for this seller". That's only if seller has placed more than one ad using the same ID.

All the baroque ads in question, despite the extraordinary similarities between them, have been single ads posted by "different" sellers, so that thing doesn't appear on those pages. Neither do "those sellers" give a name, but they do give an address; "Residential Apartment, George Street, Sydney" in one ad, "CentralCityCentre, Sydney" in another -- you don't have to be from Sydney to recognise those are peculiar addresses.

Summernight wrote:
I'm now off to stock up on more popcorn...

I was saddened to hear you ran out of popcorn. You must've been "devastated". Please just restock with reasonably priced popcorn from the nearest supermarket.

You might need it as ausbike is putting in a sterling performance keeping this thread alive -- the seller must really appreciate it. :mrgreen:

rudeboy

Postby rudeboy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:32 pm

bychosis wrote:I have seen that department store bikes can be assembled by the store for a fee, but I don't think it is anywhere near $200. Probably more like $30-$50. Must cost a lot to take a fancy pic and peel off two stickers.
I think Big W charge something like $16.50 to assemble their supermarket bikes

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:41 pm

TTar wrote:I was saddened to hear you ran out of popcorn. You must've been "devastated". Please just restock with reasonably priced popcorn from the nearest supermarket.
Yeah, but can I go to the store and walk out with the popcorn already popped or do I have to pop it myself? :lol:
<removed by request>

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:52 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
TTar wrote:I was saddened to hear you ran out of popcorn. You must've been "devastated". Please just restock with reasonably priced popcorn from the nearest supermarket.
Yeah, but can I go to the store and walk out with the popcorn already popped or do I have to pop it myself? :lol:
Depends how much you are willing to pay. Aldi sell for 99c unpopped. I however have a similar but not identical packet of popcorn that was given to me as a gift. It is popped and therefore slightly used. For you, $100. It is yellow and about the size of a marble so is comparable to professional quality popcorn like you get in the cinemas.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:56 pm

I am preparing an advertisement for pre-popped corn. Light and airy. Fresh and delicious. Plain packaging after disposing the home brand wrapper. I just can't work out to get the lense flare on my phone camera.

Edit: beat me to it!

TTar

Postby TTar » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:04 pm

im_no_pro wrote: Depends how much you are willing to pay. Aldi sell for 99c unpopped. I however have a similar but not identical packet of popcorn that was given to me as a gift. It is popped and therefore slightly used. For you, $100. It is yellow and about the size of a marble so is comparable to professional quality popcorn like you get in the cinemas.

You'll be needing a snazzy "lensflare" photo to go with that;

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:13 pm

Lens flare on the camera :

I'll sell you a specialised lens flare making device... Called a... FLÃSHÈR-LÍGΗτ.

I recently got it as a gift but haven't been flaring it enough. It does any lens flare variety the universe will ever need, with just the power of THOUGHτ. It has a light stand that's better than any other light stand in the universe.

For you I'll give the special discount of $ GOOGOL.

Pick up only from the Moon.