2nd hand K-mart bike for 133% more than new

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2nd hand K-mart bike for 133% more than new

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:27 pm

I agree with TTar (although we don't know each other personally, but he seems like a reasonable person).

Although I don't agree that Jenny / Ausbike / Gumtree Seller or whatever represented themself at all and this was very disappointing considering I asked so many times, it has wasted too much time and I can't justify spending the time. Now I do hope that even without images that other potential buyers are careful in purchasing and while I have no interest in contact with the seller - the type of gumtree advert as originally posted is, for us more experienced cyclists, misleading and probably violates the T&Cs of Gumtree so it worth reporting using the report option.
Cycling is in my BNA

lucky7

Postby lucky7 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:41 pm

ausbike wrote:"I think the degreaser fumes have finally done too much damage. Perhaps it's time to take your grammatically awkward indignation somewhere else? I now want to see your scam sales fail...I really do." -lucky7

this has more to do with personal attack than discussing the topic, my view is what I share, not anything else, sorry, I just couldn't bother to support your personal attack, the sellers targeted by TTar can join this discussion too, I don't supposed you would attack them personally as I don't believe the forum would accommodate attitude like this.

I believe the admin has a point or two. I have to go but can come to share my view another day, I like to see the input of the targeted sellers if possible.
You're not quite right. It was not a personal attack. Personal attacks are not allowed on this site and would be inappropriate. Like polishing a turd and selling it as a top quality bike (if you get my drift). My comments are, however, the truth. I will of course be relying on that to defend the libel suit you're no doubt about to threaten me with. Now go away and please do not come back and share your view another day.

ETA: removed the reference to a personal attack, because clearly they are not allowed on this site. I agree with that rule, which is why I would never admit to launching a personal attack on anyone. No matter how corrupt and beyond redemption they may be.
Last edited by lucky7 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Anybody got any maple syrup to go with that waffle? :roll:

As far as I personally am concerned, the seller is a parasite stealing the hard earned from decent people who believe the dross that poses as advertising copy.
Summernight wrote:Also K-Mart or the bike brand themselves may be interested to know about their items being sold without key features like... Oh, the correct bike branding/origin being displayed.
THIS to the power of infinity.

I'm still waiting for Jenny to reveal her bona fides...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

rudeboy

Postby rudeboy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:35 pm

seems like "Jenny" now feels confident to try again as "ads" have returned to gumtree posted today

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:54 am

rudeboy wrote:seems like "Jenny" now feels confident to try again as "ads" have returned to gumtree posted today
Is there anything against whatever supposed rules we're meant to be following that means that a link to this ad cannot be posted here (so we may all add our clicks to the 'report user' button or whatever it is called on Gumtree)?

I'm now willing to add my click to reporting this user on Gumtree (previously I didn't care enough but I ran out of popcorn in the middle of reading Jenny's post... :roll: ).

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:03 am

Not sure I understand the questions.
Yes it is fine to post a link here. It is however recommended not to link to images unless you have nothing better to do that deal with the mess that comes with it (I know they don't deserve my time).

If you see an ad on gumtree that potentially violates the terms and conditions of that service and is misleading or fraudulent then it is your choice if you wish to report it using their service. Same with any service including ebay or other classified - the administrators are not checking each ad and so probably appreciate reports and can then take action they deem necessary.
Cycling is in my BNA

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks Christopher - I got my answer - that it is okay to post the links on here to the Gumtree ads, but make sure they are posted without the lens flare images. :)

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:52 am

I replied to this ad this morning.
DO NOT ENGAGE THIS SELLER. They are seeking IP addresses with buyer replies. Seller asked me for a second confirmation email with additional personal details.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

lucky7

Postby lucky7 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:53 am

Can someone post the link?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:25 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:I replied to this ad this morning.
DO NOT ENGAGE THIS SELLER. They are seeking IP addresses with buyer replies. Seller asked me for a second confirmation email with additional personal details.
:| Sounds like personal detail information gathering. Scammers?

I've found two at the moment:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-c ... 1023423090" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-r ... 1023699458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've reported the ads as 'scams' - I'm not engaging the seller - no point. I don't use Gumtree, but the site doesn't seem to have seller reputation or whatever like eBay? What's the deal with that?
Last edited by Summernight on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:27 pm

lucky7 wrote:Can someone post the link?
This copy writing style and lens flare photography have a familiarity about it.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:57 pm

all 3 above gone already....

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:08 pm

jasonc wrote:all 3 above gone already....
Oxonabike's was the same as one of mine above so there were only two.

Start investigating Gumtree for their newest iteration of the advertisement, people! I would suggest looking for any photos with lens flare, pretty backdrops and something about the owner having just had the bike a couple of months but that it is the best thing since sliced bread... :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:14 pm

Summernight wrote:I don't use Gumtree, but the site doesn't seem to have seller reputation or whatever like eBay? What's the deal with that?
Why not? Gumtree was acquired by eBay in 2005.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:18 pm

RonK wrote:
Summernight wrote:I don't use Gumtree, but the site doesn't seem to have seller reputation or whatever like eBay? What's the deal with that?
Why not? Gumtree was acquired by eBay in 2005.
At a guess because there is no direct transactional event between buyer seller on the site, unlike eBay, so any system would have to either include such a circumstance or be entirely unreliable anyway. If they do that, then buyer protections like eBay has come into it. No different to any other classifieds website like trading post, carsales etc etc etc. precisely why I would never buy anything from Gumtree I couldnt see in front of me before making payment.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:04 pm

I just checked again to show my wife what I was on about. All the ads have been removed?
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:41 pm

I'm guessing someone must have reported them.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:13 pm

I just read the whole thread from start to end and have one question... what just happened?
<removed by request>

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: SYD Basic Wheelset
by sandyliu2 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:15 pm

700C MAVIC AKSIUM RACE Aluminum Alloy Road Bike/Bicycle Wheelset/Wheels, High Strength,F:20H 840G R:20H 1000G.

250$, free shipping

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:13 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I just read the whole thread from start to end and have one question... what just happened?
Only the chosen few will ever truely know the answer, I guess you missed the cut :)
Cycling is in my BNA

TTar

Postby TTar » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:55 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:I just read the whole thread from start to end and have one question... what just happened?
Only the chosen few will ever truely know the answer, I guess you missed the cut :)

The truth is, no one will ever know "what just happened", no one. :|
Sent from my fortified compound

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:15 pm

Maybe next time someone will steal the image and copy the text for this forum to host so it can't go away... :shock: :oops:
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:14 pm

TTar wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:

The truth is, no one will ever know "what just happened", no one. :|
Except "jenny" :lol: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

ausbike

Postby ausbike » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:39 am

a young lady took TTar's advise (TTar repeated the same line instead of correcting it), people in the store promoted by TTar told her it's not possible for her to come here pay TTar's price and ride home a bike in TTar's picutre, in fact, it was not possible to pay any price to ride a bike home on the day, or any other day, she was told. It was on a friday, and she registered her non-refundable fun ride for saturday, the young lady was left devastated. People worked in the store said their boss wouldn't be impressed if he knew their store name and services were misused like this. Unlike TTar, they had no issue and was not interested in controlling how other people sell things they own.

So here it is, we start to undestand a bit more of our forum celebrity (and the costs to others).

Congratulations TTar, the negative bit, you've been there and done that, how about something new for a change, back to what you are promoting, what actually happened there, why it failed so badly?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:06 am

And this is why you aren't allowed to pour rum over your cornflakes, son.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011