Can you ride a road bike on the footpath

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Can you ride a road bike on the footpath

Postby Saucepan69 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:19 pm

Can you ride a road bike on the footpath with mild bumps without damaging rims
Saucepan69

by BNA » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:37 pm

BNA

Re: Can you ride a road bike on the footpath

Postby mick243 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:37 pm

depending on your age and location riding on a footpath may not be legal.

as to the wheels - yeah any quality wheels (that arent track specific wheels) should be more than fine... roadbike and MTB wheels will be fine.
mick243

Postby im_no_pro » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:52 pm

The bike will survive but as pointed out above there is only certain circumstances where footpath riding is legal. In vic you have to be, or be accompanying a child 12 or under iirc.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:54 pm

You can if it is allowed by law and the path is acceptable. There are more and more shared paths popping up, some better than others.

Some of them are just a bumpy narrow footpath that someone put bicycle signs on, but others are better. As long as it isn't too rough it can be done no problem. Even carbon clinchers will handle it provided you watch for bigger bumps or debris.

But watch out for smashed glass - or you'll be going through tyres and tubes like there is no tomorrow. And also watch out for nutty pedestrians doing totally unpredictable things. They have a love of sudden movements without any indication. They'll happily have their head down looking at the ground running along in iPod world, and then suddenly turn right when you are going past them at 10km/h.

You only need watch how some of them cross roads without looking, that's warning enough and enough encouragement to keep your speed down. :wink:

If you do see the lovely Jane Caro walking towards you - please hold an umbrella out at right-angle to you as you approach her. :twisted:
g-boaf

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:24 pm

Legally speaking- yes if you are in queensland, other states vary from no to maybe.

Practically speaking- absolutely. Sure there will be the odd bump or join between bits of concrete but the much slower speed more than makes up for it. A hybrid would probably be more comfortable though, right tool for the job and all that. Road bikes are perfectly capable of dealing with gravel roads and they are much bumpier than any footpath I've ever seen!
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:44 pm

Not if there is a sign with a red cross through a bicycle and that includes QLD. :wink:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:58 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Not if there is a sign with a cred cross through a bicycle and that includes QLD. :wink:

Foo

Ah I've never seen one of those, excuse my ignorance :oops: .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:11 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:Not if there is a sign with a cred cross through a bicycle and that includes QLD. :wink:

Foo

Ah I've never seen one of those, excuse my ignorance :oops: .

Going too fast to notice? :wink:

You can ride on any footpath but rarely legally. If you honestly believe that slowly on a footpath is on the whole safer than mixing it with the smokeboxes in certain areas then it's up to you to make that call at the time. Just be careful about it.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby kb » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:42 pm

And be very careful crossing driveways and sidestreets as drivers aren't conditioned to look for vehicles there.
kb

Postby Duck! » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Setting aside legalities, let me just say Paris-Roubaix. Rougher than any footpath and they're on road bikes.

/thread.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Postby diggler » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:11 am

I know that it is illegal in many States, but has anybody ever been prosecuted for it?

Watch out for driveways, give way to pedestrians, should have no problems.
That's what a fool does. I'm invincible, I'm paying money ... uh ... The girl's happy, she's got no money, I got my rocks off. How good is this?
diggler

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:18 am

diggler wrote:I know that it is illegal in many States, but has anybody ever been prosecuted for it?

Watch out for driveways, give way to pedestrians, should have no problems.

I've heard from others that around my area the Police have been enforcing it.

That said, they don't do much about the hoon drag-racers on Friday/Saturday/Sunday nights. They've got their priorities in order. ;)
g-boaf

Postby citywomble » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:31 am

In WA footpath riding is generally used as a solution to less friendly roads. Also the police do not enforce the law as you can watch cyclists in Perth CBD riding on footpaths and the police move out of the way for them.

That said, riding on a footpath does need to be slow, giving way at all times to pedestrians, and watch out for crossovers, driveways and side roads.
citywomble

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:39 am

g-boaf wrote:
diggler wrote:I know that it is illegal in many States, but has anybody ever been prosecuted for it?

I've heard from others that around my area the Police have been enforcing it.

Can't tell you about prosecutions, but plenty of people have been fined for it in NSW - the standard fine is currently $66

2005/06 - 975
2006/07 - 832
2007/08 - 881
2008/09 - 888
2009/10 - 647
2010/11 - 742

Sources NSW Office of State Revenue 2005/06 2006/07 2007/08 and 2008/09 2009/10 2010/11
find_bruce

Postby Xplora » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:47 am

People on footpaths tend to ride slowly as they aren't supposed to be there so have almost legal support in an accident. At that speed, you could ride a MTB singletrack course on a roadie without fear. As always, the issues of durability are related to impacts at Speed. A roadie can handle very minor bumps without certain death at 40 but will be destroyed on a bad footpath at 40 over a few months while your MTB will be fine. Wheels out of true, flats, buggered hubs, headset.
Paris rubioux is a great example of road bikes at 100% in horrible conditions - for a few hours. They would not reuse the venges/madones/etc for race reliability after that.
Xplora

Return to General discussion