What does the TdF mean to you?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

What does the TdF mean to you?

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:31 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/f ... 2pynu.html

SMH's resident cycling fanatic poses an age old question, what does the TdF mean to you. Ignore the obvious troll comments though. ;)
g-boaf

by BNA » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:43 pm

BNA

Re: What does the TdF mean to you?

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:43 pm

This years or in general? Cos im rather indifferent about this years race :(
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Shred931 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:47 pm

We're going back, back to the future.
Shred931

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:17 pm

I've watched the TdF ever since SBS first broadcast the highlights of a few stages over 20 years ago, so to say I'm interested would be an understatement.

Sadly, I've lost interest rapidly since last year.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:34 pm

I'm pretty addicted to it, but only watch part of the stages at night, it runs too late and I do have work the next day.

I have the cycling addiction badly. ;)
g-boaf

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:54 pm

I don't get it.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby Nobody » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:34 pm

[I haven't read the article yet]

To me the TdF is about PEDs. Guilty until proven innocent for many competitors. Therefore I have less interest than I used to.

Holistically, I believe it's a negative for cycling in general. It says to the public that anyone that wears spandex/Lycra is a TdF/racing wannabe. It (and the UCI) has too much influence on the design and type of bikes that people buy. Or want to buy.
Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody

Postby hangry » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:37 pm

TdF to me is seeing new technology on bikes being ridden and passed onto the average cyclist
Seeing how the human body can overcome pain and push beyond the limits
Looking at the green countryside when it is miserable whether here in Perth
and finally staying up late to catch up on the tactics and strategy
;-)
Cannondale Synapse 105
hangry

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Nobody wrote:[I haven't read the article yet]

To me the TdF is about PEDs. Guilty until proven innocent for many competitors. Therefore I have less interest than I used to.

Holistically, I believe it's a negative for cycling in general. It says to the public that anyone that wears spandex/Lycra is a TdF/racing wannabe. It (and the UCI) has too much influence on the design and type of bikes that people buy. Or want to buy.

So, Lampre Man does doping? :shock:
g-boaf

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:10 pm

It's the largest race. It's the place to read about and see new bikes. It's a time to see competition. It's a time to see infighting and human drama. It's a time to see what the latest PED technology can do. It's a time to motivate for the next 12 months of personal cycling, if I don't get too depressed by it.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:16 pm

g-boaf wrote:

So, Lampre Man does doping? :shock:

Depends on how you look at it. A salad sandwich would probably be performance enhancing for him :lol:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:01 pm

hangry wrote:TdF to me is seeing new technology on bikes being ridden and passed onto the average cyclist
;-)

+++ a gazillion!
To me it is human drama set in sensational scenery.
Those I admire the most are the riders who get injured and yet climb back on their bikes and keep riding...
gabrielle260

Postby herzog » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:06 pm

Love the scenery and locations. The racing itself I struggle to watch more than 20 minutes of highlights. I just don't find endurance sports that compelling to watch.

Like some other commenters, the constant doping revelations put me off.

If only those doctors and pharmacists could use their skills for good and not evil!
herzog

Postby citywomble » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:47 pm

Personally - nothing.

Nobody said:

Words of wisdom.

The TdF is about racing machines by professional drivers (riders) on public roads - when they are closed. Then amateur riders buy the same machines and drive them on public roads - when they are open.

Imagine the carnage if there was a TdF rally for cars and those same racing cars were then sold in car shops for amateur drivers to drive and race or time trial on our normal roads.

To me cycling and the future of cycling needs to be normalised for Pedestrians to ride Bike Shaped Objects. That's what bikes used to be thats what they need to be in the future. Keep TdF cycling for closed roads and dedicated bike tracks.

I am a POBSO and proud to be one. I ride recreationally for pleasure, gentle exercise and for short trips where convenient.
citywomble

Postby Farmer Elvis » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:06 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:
hangry wrote:TdF to me is seeing new technology on bikes being ridden and passed onto the average cyclist
;-)

+++ a gazillion!
To me it is human drama set in sensational scenery.
Those I admire the most are the riders who get injured and yet climb back on their bikes and keep riding...

+2
Farmer Elvis

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:29 pm

herzog wrote:Love the scenery and locations.

+1
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:43 pm

citywomble wrote:
The TdF is about racing machines by professional drivers (riders) on public roads - when they are closed. Then amateur riders buy the same machines and drive them on public roads - when they are open.

Imagine the carnage if there was a TdF rally for cars and those same racing cars were then sold in car shops for amateur drivers to drive and race or time trial on our normal roads.

I won't bother with your car rally thing, because it has nothing to do with this. And most carnage I see is with common Camrys or other ordinary cars.

Normalising cycling has little to do with the bicycles and more to do with an open mind. Even if you want to mark yourself as a POBSO (because I'm not going to), there are many of us who despite you quite obviously hating us with a passion because we ride road bikes and wear clothing that is different to you, we still see you as one of us. So if you are stopped, we'll ask if everything is okay - do you need any help, and we'll say hello as we go past.

People just need to get out there and ride. And they'll see it too.
g-boaf

Postby mikgit » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:23 pm

^ yeah I think maybe someone hasn't heard of group A or group B and group N cars...

I think its a bit of a spectacle and I don't' mind watching it a bit, this year is the most I have watched, but I think a week would be enough, 3 weeks seems quite long, especially when the ride for 5 odd hours but it all happens in the last 10 minutes. Mountain stages and time trials zI get, but the regular flats ones not so much.
I can sit there and stream the womens then the mens XC races and not blink, then watch them again straight away. But I get easily distracted watching a stage of TdF.
Cervelo R3, GT Xizang
mikgit

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:26 am

For the last 3 years the TDF for me has meant 1 month of riding big mountains, talking English and following the race around France... The actual race is sometimes a bit secondary... Getting paid for it doesn't hurt either :-) .
Vive le tour!
toolonglegs

Postby skull » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:38 am

Unlike our heroic NFL And AFL sports starts. They are too pure to be involved in peds or party drugs, fights and rape/assault cases. That is why the general public shall always pay homage to them and then accuses cyclist of following a dirty sport. When it is one of the few sports that has such stringent doping controls around.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by skull on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
skull

Postby Paddles » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:31 am

Agree with the scenery and locations, in fact my mum has watched it for years just for the scenery and locations. I admire it for the endurance event that it is and also for the strategy and teamwork of the teams, some of the inter-team relationships are just exceptional, one that sticks in my mind from this year was Cavendish' team mate who came back for him when he crashed in an earlier stage and then dragged him back to the front of the peleton before he sputtered out. Richie Porte and Froome are another example. Sure the PED's have detracted from the feat of endurance, but there's is nothing else like it as an event. The crowds, can you believe the crowds, SBS were reporting that for that stage 17 the organisers estimate 900,000 spectators over the 240km with 300,000 over the 21km climb ............... unbelievable!
Paddles

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:27 am

g-boaf wrote:
citywomble wrote:

I won't bother with your car rally thing, because it has nothing to do with this. And most carnage I see is with common Camrys or other ordinary cars.

+1
Those shopping jeep type cars are often driven by silly old gits whose driving licence should have been taken off them a long time ago.
Old people are over represented in motor vehicle collisions IME.
I see these people crashing far more often than the bogan car enthusiast.
warthog1

Postby djw47 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:20 pm

citywomble wrote:Personally - nothing.

Nobody said:

Words of wisdom.

To me cycling and the future of cycling needs to be normalised for Pedestrians to ride Bike Shaped Objects. That's what bikes used to be thats what they need to be in the future. Keep TdF cycling for closed roads and dedicated bike tracks.

I am a POBSO and proud to be one. I ride recreationally for pleasure, gentle exercise and for short trips where convenient.

Not quite sure why the fact that the TdF exists means you can't ride for the reasons you state? Or what difference it makes whether the road is open or closed for amateurs? Or why you think riding a decent spec road bike in non-racing situations would be the even remotely close to the equivalent of driving a formula 1 racing car on a highway? You seem to have a bit of a chip on the shoulder about people who ride road bikes, did one of them steal your milk as a kid?

For me the TdF is the pinnacle of sporting achievement (regardless of PEDs), to put your body through what those guys do for 3 weeks is phenomenal. There's also nothing in sport quite like seeing an Alpine mountain top finish after a hard fought slog to the top. The competition is great and the location is too.
djw47

Postby djw47 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:26 pm

skull wrote:

Unlike our heroic NFL And AFL sports starts. They are too pure to be involved in peds or party drugs, fights and rape/assault cases. That is why the general public shall always pay homage to them and then accuses cyclist of following a dirty sport. When it is one of the few sports that has such stringent doping controls around.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

+1. The hypocrisy around drugs in sport is astonishing. You get the media applying blanket generalisations that all cyclists are on drugs despite the sport having done more than almost any other to admit its problems and do something to clean up its act, whereas the likes of AFL has the most lenient policy possible to use of drugs by players and even where there's evidence of a systematic approach to doping at clubs, the excuses are rolled out to try and shift blame from the players and coaches who cheated. Golf, tennis, soccer, baseball and athletics have all had huge drugs problems but due to the ineptitude of their respective governing bodies haven't been under any kind of scrutiny to clean up their acts that cyclists have been.
djw47

Postby JohnJoyner » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:36 pm

For me the TdF is the pinnacle of sporting achievement (regardless of PEDs), to put your body through what those guys do for 3 weeks is phenomenal. There's also nothing in sport quite like seeing an Alpine mountain top finish after a hard fought slog to the top. The competition is great and the location is too.[/quote]

+1
The fitness & mental strength of these guys blows me away. To put yourself through that pain & climb massive mountains with mad gradients. And also for those that ride with injuries... Hamilton's broken collarbone, Cadel's fractured elbow & still complete 3,000+ kms in 3 weeks...
Add to that the scenery, great looking bikes... What's not to like. :D
Focus Cayo 2.0 (2011) | Trek 7.5Fx (2007)
JohnJoyner

Next

Return to General discussion