Tyre changes

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Tyre changes

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:46 pm

Hello all,

A quick question - If I keep swapping tyres does this eventually damage the tyre? (i.e. weekend knobbys and slicks during weekdays). How many tyre changes is reasonable for a given tyre?

FYI not talking about 23c - more in the range of alternating between 35-37c and 2.1".

Also if two wheel sets are preferred. Do I have to adjust deraileurs and (disc) brakes each time or should they fit? (assuming same casette but different hubs).
Specialized Secteur Expert
Kona Hei Hei DL
Calvin27

by BNA » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:54 pm

BNA

Re: Tyre changes

Postby Duck! » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Unless you've got an unusually tight tyre/rim combination (there are manufacturing variations on both fronts), you're unlikely to damage tyres through multiple changes.

Likewise, there can be a slight difference in lateral cassette alignment between different brand hubs, so there can be a need to tweak the derailleur to suit wheel changes some times. A simple way to be sure of perfect alignment would be to have two identical wheelsets, so there'll be no difference in cassette offset.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Postby human909 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Tyres most definitely have a limited number of tyre change life in them. Unless otherwise stated this is usually 0.1% of the maximum number of revolutions allowable for a given tyre.
human909

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:39 pm

human909 wrote:Tyres most definitely have a limited number of tyre change life in them. Unless otherwise stated this is usually 0.1% of the maximum number of revolutions allowable for a given tyre.

I thought it was 316.

Seriously though, I reckon you'd be hard pressed to wear the bead out before the tread, unless you just change them to hang the bike on the wall.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby il padrone » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:49 pm

Some years back I used to switch tyres routinely on my MTB between touring/commuting duties and trail-riding. The road tyres were quite tight at first. Repeated tyre changes just made them a little easier to get off, such that I did not need tyre levers and could do a hands-only change at will. There was never any concern about tyre safety or rolling off the rims.

If you have wire-bead tyres I really think you'd be very hard pressed to "wear out" the bead. Have you ever tried to remve bead from an old tyre ??
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks all, new tyres and tubes on the way!
Specialized Secteur Expert
Kona Hei Hei DL
Calvin27

Postby rjk » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:37 am

with that number of changes a 2nd wheel set will make life easier
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane
rjk

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:42 am

I did the tyre switch thing for a while, got it down to a bit of an art. leaving slightly inflated tubes in each tyres helped but I also ended up riding with knobblies on the commute a few times due to laziness/lack of time.

Only works well if your tyres are easy to get on/off. I had one cheap innova slick that was near impossible to get on and off, that tyre only got a few uses until I ended up with a dedicated commuter bike. Two bikes made it easy to decide to go bush on the morning commute with not adjustments other than tyre pressure check.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby MattyK » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:45 pm

rjk wrote:with that number of changes a 2nd wheel set will make life easier

^ This.
MattyK

Return to General discussion