$19,000 what bike/s would you get?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:33 pm

sumgy wrote:Both SRAM Red.


IMO no custom should be outfitted with plasticky Red.
Image
User avatar
singlespeedscott
 
Posts: 3357
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

by BNA » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:48 pm

BNA
 

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby sumgy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:48 pm

If it was you it would probably have DT shifters Scotty. :D
User avatar
sumgy
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:00 pm

Nobody wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Don't know why everyone is drooling over Baums. Still just a collection of welded tubing. :P
As opposed to some burnt plastic, molded into some epoxy resin? :P


Well at least you can mold it into whatever shape you like, doesn't have to be boring old school round tubing. :mrgreen:
Beware, it's going to plummet in value like a lead balloon though. :shock:
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:52 pm

sumgy wrote:If it was you it would probably have DT shifters Scotty. :D

Hey one of my bikes has got 10 speed ergo shifters on it :lol:
Image
User avatar
singlespeedscott
 
Posts: 3357
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:16 pm

Giant TCR and a few sets of wheels :)

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
Marty Moose
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: W.A

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby Nobody » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:32 pm

warthog1 wrote:Well at least you can mold it into whatever shape you like, doesn't have to be boring old school round tubing. :mrgreen:
Well obviously somebody hasn't been looking at many chainstays. :P My Giant ATX760 has an ovalised down tube, "custom butted" frame from back in 1990/1. If people are using round tubes these days, it's by choice. Have you ever thought that some people may actually like the look of round tubes? :idea:

You may also be surprised to know companies like Harley Davidson are doing hydroforming of their steel motorcycle frames. It's only a matter of time before every metal type is hydroformed.

warthog1 wrote:Beware, it's going to plummet in value like a lead balloon though. :shock:
Fortunately for those blingy CF owners who are usually already salivating about the next 100 gram lighter, more aero, stiffer & yet more compliant model, don't seem to care much about devaluation. They are the perfect consumer for the manufacturers of bling bikes as they have already been hypnotized by the pro circuit marketing machine. Sound familiar? Go Fabulara! :P
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=65907
And of course, none of them can be on PEDs. :roll: :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8954&start=750#p997719

Yes, I'll take my cardigan and go now. :mrgreen:
Nobody
 
Posts: 6656
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby Dimis » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:55 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
sumgy wrote:Both SRAM Red.


IMO no custom should be outfitted with plasticky Red.


Sorry brother... I can't agree with you. :roll:
Sram is currently my preferred.
It's lighter, cheaper, shifts as well as the best of them, and its functionality IMHO puts it ahead.
1 leaver up, same leaver down. It's a no brainer.

Sorry :p
Dimis
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 am

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby boyracer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:33 am

This:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crumpton-Ultra- ... d=ViewItem
(lucky it's not my size...)
and a Look track bike.
User avatar
boyracer
 
Posts: 638
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:28 am

Dimis wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:
sumgy wrote:Both SRAM Red.


IMO no custom should be outfitted with plasticky Red.


Sorry brother... I can't agree with you. :roll:
Sram is currently my preferred.
It's lighter, cheaper, shifts as well as the best of them, and its functionality IMHO puts it ahead.
1 leaver up, same leaver down. It's a no brainer.

Sorry :p

Maybe so, but it's not going to last as long as Campagnolo or Shimano.
Image
User avatar
singlespeedscott
 
Posts: 3357
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby sumgy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:19 am

boyracer wrote:This:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crumpton-Ultra- ... d=ViewItem
(lucky it's not my size...)
and a Look track bike.


Sorry, but that looks no nicer than a Chinese carbon to me.
User avatar
sumgy
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:38 am

sumgy wrote:If you had $19k why would you buy something inferior?


Because at that price point, no matter what I get the engine will be the most inferior component and I wouldnt be capable of capitalising on any differences in a superior bike anyway so who cares? It becomes an entirely emotional purchase rather than a rational one. Baum is 10 minutes from home, I can easily follow the whole build process, have something that has a local connection and it's a bike that i've drooled over for a long time. And plus, for 19k theres a decent chance I would have enough change to convince Darren to build me a Baum balance bike for junior_no_pro..... 8) 8)
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5707
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:21 am

Nobody wrote: Have you ever thought that some people may actually like the look of round tubes? :idea:


Those who are fearful of, and challenged by progress, and who prefer to exist only in the halcyon days of their youth may feel that way I guess :P


Nobody wrote:You may also be surprised to know companies like Harley Davidson are doing hydroforming of their steel motorcycle frames. It's only a matter of time before every metal type is hydroformed.


I am unsurprised you used that particular cliche'd lifestyle/fashion/motorcycle company to illustrate your point. Stuck in the past and definitely a case of form over function in their motorcycle design. I'm tipping they wont be doing it to increase torsional rigity or aerdynamics. It will be because it looks pretty :roll:


Nobody wrote:Fortunately for those blingy CF owners who are usually already salivating about the next 100 gram lighter, more aero, stiffer & yet more compliant model, don't seem to care much about devaluation. They are the perfect consumer for the manufacturers of bling bikes as they have already been hypnotized by the pro circuit marketing machine. Sound familiar? Go Fabulara! :P


You are right the bicycle industry is as much a marketing driven entity as many others. At least if you are aware of it you can filter out much of the marketing rubbish. :)


Nobody wrote: Yes, I'll take my cardigan and go now. :mrgreen:


Dont forget to sew some elbow patches on and do try to cut down on the pipe smoking, its bad for your health :P
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby sumgy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:40 am

warthog1 wrote:
You are right the bicycle industry is as much a marketing driven entity as many others. At least if you are aware of it you can filter out much of the marketing rubbish. :)



If you filter out the marketing rubbish there is no bicycle market. :D
User avatar
sumgy
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:52 am

sumgy wrote:
If you filter out the marketing rubbish western society will implode. :D


:)
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby boyracer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:16 am

sumgy wrote:
boyracer wrote:This:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crumpton-Ultra- ... d=ViewItem
(lucky it's not my size...)
and a Look track bike.


Sorry, but that looks no nicer than a Chinese carbon to me.


everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think its awe inspiring as a build. less prying eyes than your typical garish taiwanese made/euro stickered jobbie.
No, i wouldn't ride it unless i could lose that kind of beans though.
Baum = one trick pony.
Crumpton, berk et al. are the new school artisanal bike builders.
Not for everyone though and not marketed at all.
User avatar
boyracer
 
Posts: 638
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby boss » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:27 am

^^^

I wouldn't mind hearing your elaboration on why Baum's are a one trick pony...

I'm no Baum fanboy, understand the criticisms leveled at them (especially regarding price)... but... seriously... it's a bike, what do you want it to do? Make your coffee and massage the wife?
boss
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby boyracer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:49 am

Like the man said, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I don't dig on TIG.

A mate has only excuses and promises months after agreed finish date on a Baum.
User avatar
boyracer
 
Posts: 638
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby giwi2 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:18 pm

schroeds wrote:make sure you post some pics of that baby when it arrives...


I will. Frame has arrived and some components being paint matched. All very low key though.

Should be built and rolling in 2-3 weeks hopefully. :)

Will post on the "Super light Road bike" thread in Road Biking section.
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Image
giwi2
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:18 pm
Location: Perth - S.O.R

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:15 am

About 15 Supersix 105's or similar ... time to start up a tour company :wink: .
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14471
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby geoffs » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:39 am

Im_no_pro - I was interested in the link to the Passoni for sale on Ebay. Steve Hogg did the original build for the distributor. I've still got photo's around somewhere. Steve is now the distributor and has sold one that will be built up with a pair of Oz racing wheels.
If i was going to drop 19k on a bike it would have to be a passoni. Baum's welding is good and equal now to Seven's but a Passoni is on a whole different level.
If you are in Sydney there will be one on display in the Rapha store.
User avatar
geoffs
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:16 pm
Location: Ashbury

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:25 am

singlespeedscott wrote:
sumgy wrote:Both SRAM Red.


IMO no custom should be outfitted with plasticky Red.


Old Red plasticky....yes

New Red not so much, but agree would not custom fit a 19k bike with Red.

I'd be comfy on a custom Parlee with Di2 /full ENVE build especially due to ENVE being the supplier for the tube set & forks.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.
User avatar
ZepinAtor
 
Posts: 1448
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:46 pm
Location: Brizzzzbane Everton Hillzzzz

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby Duck! » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:11 am

trailgumby wrote:
Duck! wrote:I'd hang on until XTR Di2 comes along & hang it on a funky carbon dual-suspension frame - don't quite know what yet. Fox Kashima shock & fork & nice light carbon wheels. That'd take care of about half of it....

Di2 off-road? This year, I'm reliably told.

Not this year I'm told, but "it's being prototyped".
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
User avatar
Duck!
Expert
 
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby scotto » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:37 am

whilst in the US of A, what about this piece of art
http://calfeedesign.com/2013/07/17/dropping-s/

rear suspension (1cm) road bike. those carbon lugs....BIG enve tubes...
certainly different....
User avatar
scotto
 
Posts: 2359
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Baulkham Hills

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:47 am

geoffs wrote:but a Passoni is on a whole different level.


Not to mention rather... erm..... how to say nicely..... ugly IMHO. If i'm dropping 19k on a bike it has to look the goods as well as be the goods. Aesthetics is all in the eye of the beholder though, i'm sure some will find it stunning. Just not for me.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5707
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: $19,000 what bike/s would you get?

Postby Secret Squirrel » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:07 pm

Colonago by Ferrari! :|
Colnago K-Zero
User avatar
Secret Squirrel
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:12 pm
Location: Nth Qld

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot]



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit