Longest run without a puncture

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Longest run without a puncture

Postby jaznit » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:47 am

Hey guys, I have bad luck with flats - I'd get one about every 150kms or so.

I'm going to try the marathon plus tyres - there are a lot of reviews about weight or rolling resistance - have you found a difference at all?

Looking at these ones
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Schwalbe-Marathon-Plus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jaznit

by BNA » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:11 am

BNA

Postby queequeg » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:11 am

The SMPs are about as tough as a tyre can be made. You can still get punctures, but they should be few and far between. Usually it takes something like a nail going right through!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby RonK » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:32 am

jaznit wrote:Hey guys, I have bad luck with flats - I'd get one about every 150kms or so.

I'm going to try the marathon plus tyres - there are a lot of reviews about weight or rolling resistance - have you found a difference at all?

Looking at these ones

I rather fix the odd flat than push 2kg of tyres. But there are other puncture resistant choices without going to that extreme. And you will need to be adept at fitting tyres, they are mongrels to mount.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby queequeg » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:02 am

RonK wrote:
jaznit wrote:Hey guys, I have bad luck with flats - I'd get one about every 150kms or so.

Looking at these ones

I rather fix the odd flat than push 2kg of tyres. But there are other puncture resistant choices without going to that extreme. And you will need to be adept at fitting tyres, they are mongrels to mount.

Only the largest SMPs are 1kg each. I run 700x28 and they are 740g each. I don't find the weight an issue, since I am commuting anyway. I prefer never having flat tyres, but I recently had an issue where the inner casing split along a thread and caused a puncture from the rough surface rubbing the inner tube.

Mounting can be an issue when they are brand new, but I can get mine off and back on in about 1 min.

I am currently testing the Marathon Supreme on the front wheel. They weigh a little over 300g for the 28mm. They feel pretty flimsy compared to the SMP, so not sure how they will go on the loaded rear wheel. May just stay with SMP on the rear and MS up front.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:05 am

See my posts above.

Vittoria Randonneur Cross 26x1.75" - mileage of 14,000kms x 2 sets of tyres, zero punctures. 590g weight

Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26x1.75" - no personal use. 1140g weight

It has always made the choice pretty easy in my experience.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby eeksll » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:51 am

I ran schwalbe durano plus front and back (28c) for more than a year which is about 5000km.

I got myself a dynamo wheel and put a fatter marathon supreme (1.6 inch) on the front, left durano on the back. 5000+km. The rear durano was showing the protection layer so removed that tyre. About the same time I got a new rear wheel so i could use a fatter tyre.

Put the marathon supreme on the back and the other non-worn out durano on the front. done about 1000km so far like this.

no punctures.

the supreme tyre feels much more supple in the hand than the durano plus which feels like a solid tyre.
eeksll

Postby Mustang » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:22 pm

Eight this year on GP4000s , one since with schwalbe durano plus front and back .
Mustang

Postby warthog1 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:38 pm

il padrone wrote:
Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26x1.75" - no personal use. 1140g weight.

:shock: The Schwalbe would therefore have to be the stronger tyre but bloody hell :o

I've got a rear 700x25c SMP. It's no lightweight either but nothing like that.
warthog1

Postby biker jk » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:43 pm

Around 15,000km before a puncture on Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 (three sets of tyres). Admittedly, I do check my tyres and pick out glass/wire after every ride, which helps.
biker jk

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:14 pm

warthog1 wrote: :shock: The Schwalbe would therefore have to be the stronger tyre but bloody hell :o

I remain very doubtful about that.

I've routinely ridden my Rando Crosses through glass, ridden the thorn-infested Mawson Trail near Spalding SA, on one ocasion pulled 11 bindiis out of the tyre at Avenel station (some thorns had 5-7mm spines, deep in the tyre) with no puncture resulting. How much better than zero punctures can you get ??

As for carcass strength - 14,000kms before they were retired (unbeaten) with the puncture layer just beginning to show. And one of the tyres was later re-enlisted for another 3000kms - so 17,000kms in total. Never had any blow-outs nor carcass failure. How much stronger do you need ?

What they can get to look like after fixie riders have had their way, with their skid-braking (these are the regular Randonneur, the slick version).

Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby RonK » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:32 pm

queequeg wrote:I am currently testing the Marathon Supreme on the front wheel. They weigh a little over 300g for the 28mm. They feel pretty flimsy compared to the SMP, so not sure how they will go on the loaded rear wheel. May just stay with SMP on the rear and MS up front.

I have done 3 fully loaded tours, around 5000km on 700x32mm Supremes, including some hundreds of kilometres on unsealed roads, for one puncture by a 10cm razor sharp shard of steel which would have penetrated any bike tire.

Being softer and grippier they don't last as long, but they are light and fast - a real pleasure to ride on.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby warthog1 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:09 pm

il padrone wrote:
warthog1 wrote: :shock: The Schwalbe would therefore have to be the stronger tyre but bloody hell :o

I remain very doubtful about that.

I've routinely ridden my Rando Crosses through glass, ridden the thorn-infested Mawson Trail near Spalding SA, on one ocasion pulled 11 bindiis out of the tyre at Avenel station (some thorns had 5-7mm spines, deep in the tyre) with no puncture resulting. How much better than zero punctures can you get ??

As for carcass strength - 14,000kms before they were retired (unbeaten) with the puncture layer just beginning to show. And one of the tyres was later re-enlisted for another 3000kms - so 17,000kms in total. Never had any blow-outs nor carcass failure. How much stronger do you need ?

What they can get to look like after fixie riders have had their way, with their skid-braking (these are the regular Randonneur, the slick version).

They sound good
Radonneur
25-622 700x25c 430 g 111.3R2.25.25.111TG

SMP
25-622
700 x 25C
SmartGuard Reflex Endurance 70-115psi 580 g load 75 kg

They are a bit lighter than the smp in the size I'm after. If I can find a retailer for that size I might try them out.
warthog1

Postby mjg9001 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:56 am

My missus road 20,000km from London to Sydney on a pair of 26" Schwalbe Marathon Mondiales.

Zero punctures.

I had 8 (but in three "clusters") on the same tires.

Not a great fit for a road bike but next time I'm touring I won't use anything else.
mjg9001

Postby Cruiserman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:59 am

About 14000 k since I took the plunge and went road tubeless. Had to fit a tube twice in that time due to pushing a worn out tyre past it's useful life. No longer carry tubes, or even a pump/cO2 canisters on the commute. The sealant takes care of the glass punctures that do happen and I am able to ride on oblivious of the incident that prior would have seen me changing the tube on the side of the road.
Tyres Hutchinson intensives
Wheels Campagnolo Shamal Ultra (non tubeless version) or Fulcrum Racing 1's two way fit
Roads same crappy glass strewn ones that gave me 8 punctures in 3 months till I said time to try tubeless.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600
Cruiserman

Previous

Return to General discussion