N-1! My beautiful roadie had a minor mishap last night!

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: N-1! My beautiful roadie had a minor mishap last night!

Postby jacob_T » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:06 pm

Perhaps. But the point is, the forks were often rebranded sakae litage forks. Meaning, with a bit of work you could have a matching set again.
jacob_T

by BNA » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:12 pm

BNA

Postby jacob_T » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:12 pm

I've personally found with the smaller tubing of the litage, I don't mind the stiffer fork. But yeah, it's personal preference.
jacob_T

Postby human909 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:58 pm

jacob_T wrote:I've personally found with the smaller tubing of the litage, I don't mind the stiffer fork. But yeah, it's personal preference.

The notion that aluminium is 'stiff' is pervasive in cycling but it has no basis in material science. Most of the stiffness of both forks and frames depend more on construction style than material. To simplify things narrow tubing means slighly less strong and ALOT less stiff, wider tubing means slightly stronger and MUCH stiffer.

I've found the Litage frame to be quite forgiving and flexy. It has a whippet like quality that rides fantastically. Though I can't comment on the forks I've never ridden the original Litage forks. This is to be expected because narrower tubing for a given strength is more flexible.

Either way, there has been a change of plans. Riding my generic late 90s Giant road bike today was horrible. The thing is stiff, clunky and has a exceedingly conservative front wheel trail that makes the road bike feel like a barge. I think this coming weekend calls for an emergency frame transplant to resurrect my old bike. The old forks seem perfectly fine, though I'll remove them and check their trueness before using them.

I'll keep the thread updated with any changes.
human909

Postby human909 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:34 pm

After alot of investigations I eventually found an appropriate fork new from an online store in Germany. Still it wasn't going to be a cheap excersise. ~$200 for fork, headset and install. Then at least $300 in wheels and another $150 for bars and stem. So an easy $650 before I get to the group set.

Then this came up on ebay not too far away from me. So I snapped it up today. Much cheaper than building up the spare frame! :D

Only had time for a quick ride. It felt good. Its got low end campy brifters but that's good enough for now. I'm not extravagant in my bike needs. But I did want my Litage back!

The headset was way to stiff so I adjusted that before I even got riding. The brake cables need to be swapped back to right hand front brake. A few other minor adjustments and I'm sure I'll learn to love it as much as my old one. Need to get my clipless pedals onto it.
human909

Postby jacob_T » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:14 am

Yeah. I saw that. Went for a steal! Nice work.

I reckon you gotta get a quill stem on there though ;)
jacob_T

Postby human909 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:24 am

jacob_T wrote:Yeah. I saw that. Went for a steal! Nice work.

I reckon you gotta get a quill stem on there though ;)

It did. I would love a quill stem in fact I've still got my quill stem and bars from my original on. However modern bars and stems are better IMO. Also I have wide shoulders so I prefer wide bars which again are hard to find to suit quill stems. All in all I think I'll keep it as it for the time being.

Besides I don't have time to much about with bikes at the moment. But at least I now have a decent roadie back in the stable. :D
human909

Previous

Return to General discussion