Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby marinmomma » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:57 pm

briztoon wrote:Well I got a second opinion from a private orthopaedic surgeon, and he to counselled against surgery. Basically the only reason for surgery would be for "cosmetic" reasons, to balance out both shoulders. I may still require some minor surgery to shave the bone down a little in 6 months or so.

Also was told that I can get back on the bike.

Have to say I'm some what nervous about this.


The Lawyers are currently pursuing a Property Damage claim to recover the cost of the bike and damaged equipment. It will be some time before the Personal Injury claim moves in to top gear.


Also if a Mod could move this out of the Info/announcements forum, I'd appreciate it.


Good news regarding getting back on the bike, you are understandably nervous, I'd be heading down to the crit track for a few laps, that's my plan when I can get back on the bike.
How many weeks post accident are you now?
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1986
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

by BNA » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:50 pm

BNA
 

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby briztoon » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:50 pm

OK, 9 weeks and one day since the accident and I went out for my first ride on the road today, a leisurely 25km circuit from my place to Wynnum North down along the water front to Lota and back to my place at Belmont. I was being smashed by a head wind for the first 11km, and was hit on my brand new helmet (christened) by a magpie shortly after I crossed the train tracks heading around the back of Iona College.

My doG am I unfit. I've put on between 4kg and 5kg since I've been off the bike, all on my gut thanks to my predilection to ice-cream. I've also got a viral infection in my chest and throat thanks to my nephew. For the first half of the ride I thought I might throw up my lunch of left over minted lamb chop, but settled in to the ride once I hit the Wynnum Esplanade and really enjoyed the second half of the ride with the wind behind me.

I felt like I could have gone further, but don't want to push things too hard, especially with my cough. I hope to have enough fitness back to ride in to the city for The Ride for Richard on Sunday October the 27th. I also hope to have my new, replacement Scott CR1 by then as well. Only thing now is I have to find an old inner tube. Not sure I'll ride Wynnum road in to the city, more likely down Old Cleveland road and work out how to get in to the city and Parliament House from Stones Corner.
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:09 pm

Good to hear you're back on the bike and enjoyed the first ride. Bloody magpies, noone ever gets a break eh?
User avatar
FuzzyDropbear
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm
Location: Ballarat, VIC

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Woohoo, how good did that feel???

Great news Briz, little steps and you'll be fine.

If I send you two tubes would you put one up for me? :(

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25548
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby trailgumby » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Glad you enjoyed the ride. :D

If your illness is hitting you below the neck, stay off the bike! :twisted:
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10196
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby adrian_d » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:09 pm

Wow mate I just got back onto BNA recently to read your story. Really really unfortunate news. I'm so glad your off to a speedy recovery and you should be so proud to get back on the bike again. After something like that I wouldn't have the courage to get on any form of bike (even an excercise bike hehe).
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby briztoon » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:51 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I was a little nervy to start with and more than a little jumpy every time I thought I heard a large vehicle coming up behind me.

Tomorrow is the challenge, as I ride back in to Fortitude Valley to be fitted on my new replacement Scott CR1. I won't be taking the direct route down Wynnum Road. I don't think I could face riding past where I got hit. Instead I'll ride the "long way" down Old Cleveland Road to O'Keefe Street and jump on Veloway 1, ride down to the Kangaroo Point Bikeway and around to the Storey Bridge and into Fortitude Valley to Avantiplus.

Mulger bill, it felt real good once I had the wind at my back. I'd gladly put a tube up for you. Though I'm going to ask my LFS is they have any old tubes laying around, they could donate to me.

adrian_d, mate it has been waying on my mind a lot over the last two weeks. There are lots of roads I used to ride with out a second thought, that I look at now and see a lot of heavy traffic that makes me nervous.

I did see one thing today that really unnerved me. I guy on a flat bar race bike lane splitting between two congested lanes during peak hour traffic this afternoon. This is on a road I commute home on, and I would never in a million years consider doing it.

But one thing I have noticed, there are a lot (in relative terms) more people on bikes in Brisbane now that it's warmer. Today I saw two old blokes on trikes at separate times, and a third one pulling a trailer with his dog in it. Also notice more girls in floral dresses riding to the local shops to do some grocery shopping.

Life is good back on the bike.

I think I'll be pushing it, but I'd love to be back in shape to do Tour de Tamborine.
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby briztoon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:24 am

thecaptn wrote:Has the bone pulled itself back in line a bit more than it is in the X rays like the doctors said it would?

Pete


Nope. The latest X-ray looks pretty much like the ones posted here, just with more shadow of bone growing around the mass. I do have a spur coming out above the mass. Even a seatbelt across the spurs hurts. Basically it's a pointy, sharp bit of bone poking up through the top of the shoulder. Seeing as I ride to work with a back pack on, I'm going to need the spur shaved down. Neither of my bikes have the capability of adding panniers, so it's either buy a new bike to commute to work on, or have the operation. I have an appointment on Thursday at the hospital to see the orthopaedic surgeon for a regular progress checkup, and will ask how soon it is when I should consider the operation. The private orthopaedic surgeon said six months.
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby briztoon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:30 am

cowled wrote:I hope that this second opinion has eased your mind, briztoon. Yeah, I can totally understand your anxiety about getting back on the bike, and I'm sure it's not just the physical issues. I'm having some real problems with depression at the moment, but at least I am very aware of it and have sought the right help.

I hope you get your cheque for the property damage soon. It's bound to be fun spending insurance money in a bike shop. I'm still waiting on mine.

I'm very interested to know what the outcome was of the police investigation. I'm assuming they found the truckie at fault given your lawyers are pursuing the insurance claims.

Craig.


It eased my mind somewhat. I still wish I had surgery at the time though.

I know all about the depression involved with an accident. I found solace in the bottom of many ice-cream buckets. I also talked to my GP a fair bit. I have one more issue to "work" through, but my GP wants me to wait a bit before we look at professional help. I am having confidence issues with interacting with people in public, mainly in discussions. I am talking much slower and thinking through what I say as I talk. It can be painful to try and have a conversation with me at the moment. I am having memory or recall problems where I get stuck on a word. It will be on the tip of my tongue, but I just can't get it out. My GP wants to wait and see how I progress once I am back at work and interacting outside my small circle of friends.

I have the police report and truck drivers statement here, my Lawyers posted it out to me last week. I still haven't had the guts to read it. Though my sister has, and reckons my lawyers will have a field day with the truck drivers statement. My lawyers comment was that they feel pretty confident on a successful resolution.

I just hope the property damage claim goes pretty smoothly, as since the lawyers are handling it, the costs of pursuing it could feasibly be more than the amount we are seeking. It is for more than just the bike ($4000), the right peddle was smashed (Dura ace 9000 carbon $400) my clothes had to be cut off me my HTC team kit ($300), my right glove was ripped up ($40), my helmet was smashed ($300), my shoes were fairly ground down ($400), my Oakley sunnies are in 3 pieces ($370), my Garmin was damaged ($400). The only two things to survive the accident were my socks and the saddle bag and it's contents.

Everything, except for the HTC team kit which is no longer available, was less than 3 months old, as I bought it all in June for my trip to France and TDF. The bike and pedals were only a week old.
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby hannos » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:34 am

briztoon wrote:adrian_d, mate it has been waying on my mind a lot over the last two weeks. There are lots of roads I used to ride with out a second thought, that I look at now and see a lot of heavy traffic that makes me nervous.



I don't know your mental state as yet but something to consider:
Heavy traffic is what I prefer when on a bike. At least in Sydney, heavy traffic means slower moving traffic, and it's easier to claim the entire lane.

It's the light traffic I dislike most, they're generally moving a lot faster.
2010 BMC SLC01
Image
User avatar
hannos
 
Posts: 4018
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby marinmomma » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:38 am

Good to read that you've made it back onto the bike again Briz!
I'm learning that this recovery business is indeed very slow, exceedingly frustrating and somewhat a lonely affair.

I'm 6.5 weeks post crash trying to mobilise my arm and deal with fractures that haven't healed properly and still facing possible surgery.
Your story gives me some hope, thanks for sharing!
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1986
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby cowled » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:45 am

briztoon wrote:It eased my mind somewhat. I still wish I had surgery at the time though.

I know all about the depression involved with an accident. I found solace in the bottom of many ice-cream buckets. I also talked to my GP a fair bit. I have one more issue to "work" through, but my GP wants me to wait a bit before we look at professional help. I am having confidence issues with interacting with people in public, mainly in discussions. I am talking much slower and thinking through what I say as I talk. It can be painful to try and have a conversation with me at the moment. I am having memory or recall problems where I get stuck on a word. It will be on the tip of my tongue, but I just can't get it out. My GP wants to wait and see how I progress once I am back at work and interacting outside my small circle of friends.

I have the police report and truck drivers statement here, my Lawyers posted it out to me last week. I still haven't had the guts to read it. Though my sister has, and reckons my lawyers will have a field day with the truck drivers statement. My lawyers comment was that they feel pretty confident on a successful resolution.

I just hope the property damage claim goes pretty smoothly ...


Thanks for the update and take care mate. Very glad to hear you are back on the bike.
cowled
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:33 am

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby briztoon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:32 am

marinmomma I'm hearing you girl. I was slowly getting movement back with my collar bone (I could finally shave myself at week 5), but my ribs were holding me back doing a lot of things until recently. And it is lonely. One reason why I spent so much time on here during the early part of my recovery.

Just be careful of Muzza. My first two times back on the bike was riding the bike way from my place, back streets to the Gateway underpass and through Minnippi parklands to the crit track. There's a magpie camped out in the trees on the bottom section of the track that would line me up each time as I came past and both times bombed me on my third lap.

To the mods who gave me encouragement and some leeway, and all the forum members who encouraged, argued, etc with me during August and September, I thank you all for keeping me sane.

Also a big shout out to Matt and Dimity at Avantiplus the Valley for setting up my new Scott CR1 (and doing some work on my Specialized while I took the Scott out for a ride) and for swapping the stock Mavic Ksyrium wheel set for a Shimano Dura Ace wheel set at no extra cost. Can't recommend the team enough for customer service.
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby Dimis » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:23 am

Briz, you are already back on the bike!?!
Very Well done man!

The easy option would be to sit and make excuses, but no... Not you.
You're a champ and an inspiration.
Thanks for sharing and best wishes on your road to recovery.
Dimis
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:27 am

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby jules21 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:25 am

Only just saw this thread. So proud and happy to read of your progress BT. Cycling can be a tough pastime. Keep it up you are doing really well.
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8539
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:52 am

RIP Briztoon :(
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby ab012 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:54 am

Well done Briztoon and great to hear you are back on the bike. All the best!!
ab012
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:56 am

Hmmm? Oh, right.


Woops.
Glad to see you getting back into it BT. You'll fall in love with cycling all over again now. You'd be like a 5yr old or me on Christmas morning with the bike fit today wouldn't ya?
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby marinmomma » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:09 am

briztoon wrote:marinmomma I'm hearing you girl. I was slowly getting movement back with my collar bone (I could finally shave myself at week 5), but my ribs were holding me back doing a lot of things until recently. And it is lonely. One reason why I spent so much time on here during the early part of my recovery.

Just be careful of Muzza. My first two times back on the bike was riding the bike way from my place, back streets to the Gateway underpass and through Minnippi parklands to the crit track. There's a magpie camped out in the trees on the bottom section of the track that would line me up each time as I came past and both times bombed me on my third lap.

To the mods who gave me encouragement and some leeway, and all the forum members who encouraged, argued, etc with me during August and September, I thank you all for keeping me sane.

Also a big shout out to Matt and Dimity at Avantiplus the Valley for setting up my new Scott CR1 (and doing some work on my Specialized while I took the Scott out for a ride) and for swapping the stock Mavic Ksyrium wheel set for a Shimano Dura Ace wheel set at no extra cost. Can't recommend the team enough for customer service.


Here I was thinking that guys had it easy when they have a broken collar bone...no need to wear a shirt all the time and certainly no bra's to get on or arm pits that are starting to....well I guess you get the picture :shock: I forgot about the shaving part though...yup that would feel like you acheived a big milestone! It took me to 5.5 weeks to be able to dress independently, although shoelaces are another matter...

Re the Maggie, by the time I can be rolling around there again the Maggie's will certainly have their 2013 season finished with :roll:
That bird must go spin out on a Saturday morning during the crits!!

Good luck with the new bike, I think that Dimity was at the velodrome last night....another think that isn't going to happen this year :evil:
Nice wheels too!
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1986
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby adrian_d » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:25 pm

I know i've commented on this already but your experience has been on the back of my mind. One of BNAs fellow members doing what they enjoy, having to build up their confidence for what they enjoy the most.

All for the sake of the truck driver not seeing him, could have all been avoided if the driver had been a bit more patient.

Best wishes to getting better.

Briztoon - If theres ever any bits that you need from Melbourne but the seller won't post i'll happily pick it up for you and send it off myself to you! Hoping to help getting back on the bike that bit easier!

Catch!
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby briztoon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:17 am

adrian_d wrote:I know i've commented on this already but your experience has been on the back of my mind. One of BNAs fellow members doing what they enjoy, having to build up their confidence for what they enjoy the most.

All for the sake of the truck driver not seeing him, could have all been avoided if the driver had been a bit more patient.

Best wishes to getting better.

Briztoon - If theres ever any bits that you need from Melbourne but the seller won't post i'll happily pick it up for you and send it off myself to you! Hoping to help getting back on the bike that bit easier!

Catch!



Oh, I have the police report and truck drivers statement here. He quite clearly saw me. He could have changed lanes to avoid me.

Cheers adrian, thanks for the very kind offer.
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby briztoon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:38 am

marinmomma wrote:Here I was thinking that guys had it easy when they have a broken collar bone...no need to wear a shirt all the time and certainly no bra's to get on or arm pits that are starting to....well I guess you get the picture :shock: I forgot about the shaving part though...yup that would feel like you acheived a big milestone! It took me to 5.5 weeks to be able to dress independently, although shoelaces are another matter...

Re the Maggie, by the time I can be rolling around there again the Maggie's will certainly have their 2013 season finished with :roll:
That bird must go spin out on a Saturday morning during the crits!!

Good luck with the new bike, I think that Dimity was at the velodrome last night....another think that isn't going to happen this year :evil:
Nice wheels too!



Hey marinmomma, if you know and happen to see Dimity, let her know I was very impressed and happy with her service and how friendly every one was in the shop.

I had to learn to try and do most things left handed, like brushing my teeth, but just couldn't get the hang of shaving left handed. I couldn't dry myself off for 4 weeks, or put a shirt on for myself, or tie my shoe laces. And so many other things I took for granted. It was about the 5 week mark that I slowly started being able to do simple things.

The big thing for me at the moment is, that I have very little stamina and tire easily. But a lot of that has to do with the general immobility of having so many broken ribs to recover from as well. Usually by 5pm I am shattered and need a 2 or 3 hour nap, but this has a negative side effect that I am awake to 1 or 2 in the morning.

My left shoulder is now about ~1cm shorter than the other, and for some one who already has skinny shoulder, well it gives you a bit more of a complex. My right chest is also more prominent and sticks out a little more that my left side, as a couple of the broken ribs protrude a little. It's like having to large knuckles pushing out of my chest.

I have a bone spur pushing up towards the top of my collar bone and it protrudes out of the healing bone mass. The surgeons have said I will have to wait until around the 6 month mark to see if it smooths out, or whether they will have to operate to shave the bone down a bit. Right now it's a little painful to wear a lightly loaded back pack over both shoulders. I don't know what it will be like when I have my fitness back (I'm hoping by the end of November) and am able to return to work. I ride to work with a fairly laden back pack, and neither of my bikes have the option of putting panniers on them.
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby Percrime » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:46 am

You can probably get your fitness back now. Intervels on a trainer while sitting upright will work. Leg presses will still work .. assuming the ribs allow. To some extent they will help the ribs heal although you need to be careful. A rib through the lungs will not help. Concentration curls and shrugs with your good shoulder ... while asymetircal ... are worth the effort. Even if you can only stupidly little weight. The discomfort from ribs is seriously not going to help.

Sadly you probably cannot even work on shoulder mobility yet. That really sux. And lead to big complications with my friend Jenny. So the moment you get the all clear to do that much work your ass off on it. Which is why you shohuld do the above.. get back into the habit

Gentle massage of some bits.. heat rubs.. heat packs.. hot batchs.. sauna.... all will help

Strong shoulder... is going to take a year or more tho. It was a milestone when Jenny benched a broomstick THe ribs are iactually more disabling in terms of fitness than the shoulder.. but they will improve in a hurry
Percrime
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 am

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:57 am

Just spotted this thread, no idea why I'd missed it the past month or two?! Great work on the recovery! Anyway, re the backpacks, can you try one of those single shoulder / across the waist hip/happening bags that you see out there, or maybe just a good well designed one with a waist buckle that can support most of the weight instead of the shoulders? If you can't have panniers, what about a mini trailer you can tow? I've been towing my son in one of those weeho-i-go trailer thinghamies and they don't slow you down too much... although I'm sure your luggage won't have legs to help pedal like my son does.... I'll have to try towing it empty. :)
thomashouseman
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1079
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:07 am
Location: Toongabbie NSW

Re: Briztoon V's Truck!!!!

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:27 pm

thomashouseman wrote:Just spotted this thread, no idea why I'd missed it the past month or two?! Great work on the recovery! Anyway, re the backpacks, can you try one of those single shoulder / across the waist hip/happening bags that you see out there, or maybe just a good well designed one with a waist buckle that can support most of the weight instead of the shoulders? If you can't have panniers, what about a mini trailer you can tow? I've been towing my son in one of those weeho-i-go trailer thinghamies and they don't slow you down too much... although I'm sure your luggage won't have legs to help pedal like my son does.... I'll have to try towing it empty. :)


I'm like you, fully missed it as well. I sent Briztoon a pm with another solution using a carradice saddlebag with a carradice bagman QR mount so nothing on back or shoulders.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4565
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], piledhigher, rangersac



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter