The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Lukeyboy

Re: The War on the Roads - TV - Sunday night

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:23 pm

Like using the footage of messenger cyclists doing an alleycat race? :lol:

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:25 pm

I missed it apart from end... Can't believe derryn is upset that because we don't use petrol we don't pay enough tax! So does he think fuel efficient cars shouldnt be allowed on the road as much or should pay more rego to make up for it?

We should all drive hummers to make our roads better :roll:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:48 pm

briztoon wrote:I wasn't particularly impressed with the part on cycling in the UK and the vigilantism angle. Half the UK clips showed a cyclist doing something stupid and putting them self in a dangerous situation. If they wanted to go overseas, show how it can be done positively.
Yep. Video footage from the Netherlands, France, Italy or Germany would probably look somewhat different
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:53 pm

Same old crap - nothing new to see here......move along....

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:00 pm

DavidS wrote:I just wish someone had asked the obvious question about bike rego: who's going to fund it? 'Cos it sure as hell would run at a loss.

DS
Pay Bike rego what a joke. lol! They should pay me I have two registered cars and ride my bikes everywhere, the cars just sit there 90% of the time.I don't think my bikes would wear the road out as much as cars and heavy vehicles do. Are they going to charge pedestrian rego too, They have to build footpaths, crossings and maintain them also. Bikes are a great benefit to the world, less pollutants, less noise , less obesity ,less congestion and etc.

wexford

Postby wexford » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:55 pm

Dragster1 wrote:Pay Bike rego what a joke. lol! They should pay me I have two registered cars and ride my bikes everywhere, the cars just sit there 90% of the time.I don't think my bikes would wear the road out as much as cars and heavy vehicles do. Are they going to charge pedestrian rego too, They have to build footpaths, crossings and maintain them also. Bikes are a great benefit to the world, less pollutants, less noise , less obesity ,less congestion and etc.
I've got a canned response when someone tries the rego argument with me.

"I own a car, I pay rego but I don't use it because I ride everywhere. Which means I'm subsidising your rego. Can I have a refund please?"

With that I hold out my hand, and ask them to refund me again. Nobody has ever had a comeback to that!

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:03 pm

wexford wrote:
Dragster1 wrote:Pay Bike rego what a joke. lol! They should pay me I have two registered cars and ride my bikes everywhere, the cars just sit there 90% of the time.I don't think my bikes would wear the road out as much as cars and heavy vehicles do. Are they going to charge pedestrian rego too, They have to build footpaths, crossings and maintain them also. Bikes are a great benefit to the world, less pollutants, less noise , less obesity ,less congestion and etc.
"I own a car, I pay rego but I don't use it because I ride everywhere. Which means I'm subsidising your rego. Can I have a refund please?"
With that I hold out my hand, and ask them to refund me again. Nobody has ever had a comeback to that!
lol!

I was pretty happy with the piece. It highlighted how dangerous the road is when you aren't in a steel box full of airbags. The only downside is it probably discouraged a lot of people watching who were thinking of riding more, certainly scared me!

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:07 pm

wexford wrote:I've got a canned response when someone tries the rego argument with me.

Was this meant to go in the Dumb Cyclist topic?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:20 pm

beanspropulsion wrote:Derryn Hinch is a "MERCHANT BANKER" but, plus they didn't answer the old furphy of "cyclists don't pay rego etc", oh yeah and Derryn Hinch is a "MERCHANT BANKER".
This wouldn't be a problem if people refused to supply him with the black pepper and tweezers required... :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:21 pm

Anybody able to link it?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:07 am

Hereabouts ;)

http://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/v ... our-roads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:19 am

Cheers Pete, thanks :D

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:42 am

It was a poor excuse to link together some bike v car accident footage. Typical shallow journalism. I should have expected as much but there was only a token argument to the bikes should be off the roads line.There was no coutner to bikes should pay rego, there was no education that bikes are legally entitled to a lane nor any reference to 1m matters. Typical disgrace.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:56 am

wexford wrote: I've got a canned response when someone tries the rego argument with me.

I just say, motorbikes pay rego. When was the last time you saw a moto doing triple the speed limit or some other incredibly stupid behaviour, rego seems to be doing a great job stopping them from breaking the law doesn't it :P . Not to mention because the plates are so small there's not a hope in hell of catching the rego number anyway, and even if by some miracle you do (as I have twice) and give the police all the information, even down to the rego and make/model of other cars that were there, nothing happens.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:19 am

wexford wrote:

Thus perpetuating the tired old assumption that everyone must have a car, or be considered somehow incomplete :roll: .

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:24 am

Cockroaches aye! The only cockroach was Hinch a drunk who was lucky enough to get a kidney from some poor sod who died. Interesting that all of the aggression was from drivers. War on the Roads what crap!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:37 am

InTheWoods wrote:I missed it apart from end... Can't believe derryn is upset that because we don't use petrol we don't pay enough tax! So does he think fuel efficient cars shouldnt be allowed on the road as much or should pay more rego to make up for it?

We should all drive hummers to make our roads better :roll:
The fact I don't use a car at all to get to work means that I'm not contributing to traffic congestion. I use the train instead.

And forget Hummers, you need nothing less than a G63 AMG 6X6 for urban commuting these days. Though I'd prefer to use an M1 Abrams because it will be much safer (for the occupants inside at least). :P

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:11 am

Pretty lame. One thing was it wasn't negative and made Hinch look like the fool he is but all it resulted in doing was making my wife more worried when I go to get on my bike. Thanks for that!

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:17 am

Once again my Channel 7 rule seems to be working. (not that my TV seems to pick up anything except ABC2...)

AKO

Postby AKO » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:19 am

Agree with scarfy. All it did was make the boss even more worried about me riding. Mark Skaife's comments really surprised me. As much as I hated him when he was dominating the V8 Supercar scene in a bloody Holden, I always found his views to be quite rational and level headed. He totally missed the mark with the rego argument. I watched the rest of the show and also found the story on acne drugs to be waffle.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:26 am

ldrcycles wrote:Not to mention because the plates are so small there's not a hope in hell of catching the rego number anyway, and even if by some miracle you do (as I have twice) and give the police all the information, even down to the rego and make/model of other cars that were there, nothing happens.
And that folks, is the true reason why the argument for rego from idiot road users is pointless. Imagine the number of complaints coming from motorists with chips on their shoulders to the police. I'm sure the police are just going to love the extra workload!

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the story. Of course it could have been better, but at least the journo doing the story was somewhat pro bike, even if he looked like a Sunday bike path type rider.

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:27 am

il padrone wrote:
beanspropulsion wrote:Derryn Hinch is a "MERCHANT BANKER" but, plus they didn't answer the old furphy of "cyclists don't pay rego etc", oh yeah and Derryn Hinch is a "MERCHANT BANKER".
I think you must have mis-heard that. They were actually saying "Derren Hinch is an urgent w******" :twisted:
I had to use rhyming slang the nanny censorship on here won't let me use the great Aussie vernacular W*****

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:36 am

Scarfy96 wrote:Pretty lame. One thing was it wasn't negative and made Hinch look like the fool he is but all it resulted in doing was making my wife more worried when I go to get on my bike. Thanks for that!
Compared to a few years ago though and considering the target* audience the trend is nothing but positive. Just a nod to the bogan with via their bearded broadcasting bogan brethren's ignorant comments.

*My wife used to work in marketing and then as a producer for a company which is associated with C7 (in Australia anyway), and yes they do specifically target (while laughing at, truth be told) that audience by policy.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:46 am

Didn't bother to watch it. Probably the same as every other cyclist v motor story.
Cars are a threat, cyclists don't pay rego, car drivers are aggro, cyclists think they own the road.
Then, insert a loud, washed up big egoed douche bag to appeal to the uninformed hicks.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Dragster1

Postby Dragster1 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:54 pm

MarkG wrote:Didn't bother to watch it. Probably the same as every other cyclist v motor story.
Cars are a threat, cyclists don't pay rego, car drivers are aggro, cyclists think they own the road.
Then, insert a loud, washed up big egoed douche bag to appeal to the uninformed hicks.
So true, Its just trying to stir people up. The best advice other cyclist have given me is learn self preservation. I have found when you make an effort to let cars pass safely they seem to pass you less aggressively not all but most.