Wearing an online shop kit on group ride?

macca33

Re: Wearing an online shop kit on group ride?

Postby macca33 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:54 pm

RonK wrote:If it's a shop ride then I think good manners would dictate you shouldn't wear the online shop strip, otherwise I doubt anyone would be care what you wear.
So what if it is a 'shop ride?' With that philosophy, no-one would participate in any shop ride, because I'd bet London to a brick that they would not have purchased every last item of equipment from that particular shop.

I've never seen any advertised shop ride - verbal, or online, which stipulates that you must not come dressed in any other gear than theirs, nor are you able to ride any bike you didn't purchase with them. :?
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

RonK

Wearing an online shop kit on group ride?

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:00 pm

Obviously, some don't understand the concept of manners - things you do not because you are obliged to do them, but because they are the right thing to do.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:16 pm

I have an idea.

How about phoning the store and asking if it's o.k. If you have to, explain the sitch.

That being said, it just seems that etiquette dictates that this is not cool dude. If you have another kit, wear it, and I would consider buying a store branded kit or another kit in the near future to wear on shop rides.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:36 pm

If it's a shop ride, you can look at it this way: they've organised it for customers and friends. So be a customer and friend. Buy the kit.

If it's not a shop ride, wearing Wiggle gear would be an opportunity to start a conversation about service.

Some shops, such as the late and unlamented King of the Mountain, seem to think the sun shone out of them. Their kit was more expensive than most of the rest of their clothing stock. Not a strategically smart move. Unsurprising they went under.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:04 pm

Curious question, for those pro shop colours on the ride, how much is the shop charging you to buy and wear their Kit? From what I've seen, the LBS's near me in Brisbane want Assos/Rapha prices on their shop kit!

While I do like the look of many of these kits, the fact that I'm a riding billboard with their company's logo plus sponsors shouldn't mean I'm paying silly amounts to do so.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:15 pm

Ignoto wrote:Curious question, for those pro shop colours on the ride, how much is the shop charging you to buy and wear their Kit? From what I've seen, the LBS's near me in Brisbane want Assos/Rapha prices on their shop kit!

While I do like the look of many of these kits, the fact that I'm a riding billboard with their company's logo plus sponsors shouldn't mean I'm paying silly amounts to do so.
Presumably you would buy the shop kit because you have a mutually beneficial relationship with the shop and want to show your support.

I expect the price would be secondary, and if you feel it's too expensive you just don't buy it.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

munga

Postby munga » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:10 pm

norman99 wrote:...However, I have been thinking about joining the weekly group ride in my area, and know that some staff from a couple LBS's participate.
it's not a shop ride, so wear any jersey/strip/kit/clothes you like. someone might comment, and if that bothers you, wear something else.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:24 pm

RonK wrote:Obviously, some don't understand the concept of manners - things you do not because you are obliged to do them, but because they are the right thing to do.

So, I cannot wear some (insert OTHER shop - online or otherwise) jersey / kit on my local shop ride - the shop that I support through participation in their ride AND through purchasing goods therein, because I don't have the conceptual understanding of manners.....ah, okay then...

Maybe if my local shop-kit needs a wash - because I wore it out on any day other than shop ride day (thus providing free advertising for the shop) - I should also drop it down to them to ensure it will be laundered and ready for their weekly shop-sanctioned ride...

It seems some are sucked in and others are not....last time I checked, we live in a democratic country.
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:28 pm

Why not just ride on your own like me if what other says bothers you.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:57 pm

Ignoto wrote:Curious question, for those pro shop colours on the ride, how much is the shop charging you to buy and wear their Kit? From what I've seen, the LBS's near me in Brisbane want Assos/Rapha prices on their shop kit!

My LBS is a Specialized store, so their kit is made by Specialized with the shop brand on it. It's a bit cheaper than Specialized sponsored team kit, and of the same standard. I have a good relationship with my LBS so receive a 10% discount on most purchases, or they price match items on special elsewhere, etc.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:00 pm

norman99 wrote: However, I have been thinking about joining the weekly group ride in my area, and know that some staff from a couple LBS's participate.
So it's not a proper shop ride? Wear what ever you want.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:03 pm

World Champion jerseys make you stand out more than Wiggle jerseys... better for catching the eye of the rainbow loving fairies. Trop class! :mrgreen: .
I haven't seen a shop ride in 5 years :| .

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:13 pm

Just buy a Pink Floyd jersey.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:35 pm

toolonglegs wrote:World Champion jerseys make you stand out more than Wiggle jerseys... better for catching the eye of the rainbow loving fairies. Trop class! :mrgreen: .
I haven't seen a shop ride in 5 years :| .
National kit

Or national road champion team branded kit

is so uncool in many cycling circles. Or it could just be the person wearing it.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:38 pm

Punaise! ... regarde la touriste :P .
What happens on tour... will be plastered over the internet for ever :mrgreen: .

roller

Postby roller » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:46 pm

there seem to be a lot of threads discussing cycling fashion dos and don'ts.

i wonder if other passtimes experience this.
inflammatory statement or idea

Grog

Postby Grog » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:56 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Just buy a Pink Floyd jersey.
I did. 8)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:53 am

Grog wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Just buy a Pink Floyd jersey.
I did. 8)
Expect a lot of friendly honks, thumbs up and wide berths from most truckers :P

djw47

Postby djw47 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:46 pm

norman99 wrote:Hi All, I understand that there can be some strong opinions about wearing team/sponsor kits unless you belong to the team. I personally think you can wear whatever you like and usually leave it at that. However, I have been thinking about joining the weekly group ride in my area, and know that some staff from a couple LBS's participate.

What are peoples thoughts on wearing jersey & bibs from a well known online shop? Normally I don't worry to much what others think, but believe sometimes a little restraint and respect for those already in the group seams appropriate.

Am I just over thinking things, or have others seen anything that would suggest wearing something else is a better option? I only ask as this kit is my newest/most comfortable and therefore first choice when going for a ride. I just don't want to waltz in and stir someone up the wrong way.
If the members of the group feel they can criticise your clothes when they almost certainly don't know you, I think you might want to give them a wide berth. Wear whatever you want.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:30 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
munga wrote:i bet that lbs employee's also shop online, but don't tell anyone.
Have you seen the price of products at cost!. Plus some importers offer shop staff an extra discount on top of cost. Depends on the shop though... I know a few shops that charge staff cost + 10 or 20 % :| .

IIRC, the reason behind charging staff cost + 10% (GST) avoids any issues for both employer and employee with fringe benefits tax (which is precisely why my employer has cost + 10 as the lowest an employee price can be). If suppliers offer a direct sale to employees that is treated differently from memory.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:18 pm

What a funny discussion. I think the smart move is this - No brand on the first week, maybe a team kit or club kit on the second week, and your wiggle-hail our demonic UK overlords kit on the third week. I don't think anyone will begrudge you a cheap kit if it is one of your options. I have a fluoro yellow "my eyes are burning here" torpedo 7 shirt and arms which I often break out midweek because I ride enough that my nicer Trek kit is dirty. I bought a trek MTb kit from the Lbs and yes it is the right colour and I want to support my lbs.

If you only have one kit you need to start riding more. I think having crappy kit is a sign you are doing the kms. Make sure it's worn out. Everyone has a kit they got on special and sometimes you need the last fresh kit left. Just remember that you have to pull some brutal serious turns when you have the poor mans kit on. Prove their kit is simply a pose. Make them suffer!!!!!!

Abby

Postby Abby » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:42 am

Yeah, I think this is one of those things you can seriously over-think... :wink:

If its an LBS-organised shop ride - I don't wear jerseys from a competitor or online store. But I'll wear my club jersey, blank jerseys, or Euro team kit, or whatever else. But that's just me, and I couldn't give two proverbials what others wear.

If its a club ride, I'll wear my club's kit. Any other ride (bunch or solo), I'll wear whatever I'm in the mood to wear that day (or whatever's clean!).

Don't lose sleep over it. While we all joke about 'the rules', there are only a few that actually seriously give a rat's you-know-what about them... :)

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:19 pm

if you bought a bike from the LBS, you should feel free to turn up in whatever kit you like to their shop ride and they should treat you like the customer you are.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:53 pm

So what happened?

What did you wear and how was the ride?

arkle

Postby arkle » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:45 pm

I have never understood the obsession with paying laughably inflated prices for clothing emblazoned with a brand name. You are basically paying a company a heap of money for the privilege of advertising the company! What a joke it is! They must be laughing their socks off. If any company wants me to wear clothing with their emblem on it and become their walking/riding advert they are going to have to pay ME.

Same goes for glossy magazines - 75% of the magazines are always adverts! So the advertisers pay the magazines to print and distribute their adverts, and the readers pay the magazines for the privilege of reading the adverts. It's a con!

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork