FIXIE: What's the deal

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: FIXIE: What's the deal

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:15 pm

As long as the hill isn't steep or long enough to stall the bike then a FG will beat a gear bike up a hill with most riders aboard.

No place to hide.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25553
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

by BNA » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:24 am

BNA
 

Re: FIXIE: What's the deal

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:24 am

AP81 wrote:
trailgumby wrote:A guy at work who lived near me used to commute on a fixie sometimes.

I remember flying past him as he was spinning out down the hill to Spit Bridge thinking that was the last I'd see of him.

The bugger caught and passed me at the top of Battle Bvd. That was the last I saw of him! :oops: :lol:


Just means he's fit!


Or TG isn't ... :wink:
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: FIXIE: What's the deal

Postby trailgumby » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:21 am

Right now, I definitely ain't :lol:

This guy was pretty fit. Like MB said, nowhere to hide.

The couple of times ive ridden single speed 29ers ive caned other riders up intermediate climbs. You simply can't afford to slow down or you're off and walking :lol:

Great for fitness. Not so sure about my knees.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10198
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: FIXIE: What's the deal

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:14 am

andione1983 wrote:
MattyK wrote:...and what is the deal with those tight jeans they wear?

/seinfeld
didn't you know that's Lycra for hippies


I went to buy some jeans last year. The guy in the shop dragged some out - turns out they were skinny leg jeans (the current fashion style). I slithered into them, but then discovered I could not bend down to put on my shoes :shock:

They were not made of any lycra. I don't see how anyone could wear them and be able to throow a leg over the bike.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18161
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: FIXIE: What's the deal

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:19 am

Mulger bill wrote:As long as the hill isn't steep or long enough to stall the bike then a FG will beat a gear bike up a hill with most riders aboard.

No place to hide.


+1

I rode 190kms on my SS with some friends on their derailleur road bikes. My SS has a White Industries double freewheel so I can set it (manually) for either 77" or 65". I started out in 77, because the roads were flat and was dropping my friends. I had to stop and change to the 65. On the flat I rode at the same pace as my friends, but in the hills around Korumburra I dropped them on every hill.

An SS bike is going to be lighter than an equivalent-framed road bike, and it has a straight chain-line with no jockey cage = a good deal lower drive-train losses.

In the urban setting, especially inner suburban Melbourne which is pretty flat, a SS just makes sense. With all the stop-start riding and heavy traffic you hve no faffing around with gear selection, you just ride it and it is a good deal better for maintenance. If the bike is kept fairly humble (no brand name components, plain colour frame) it will be less of a theft target as well.

Some ride fixed and take it to extremes - 2007 PBP.

Image


Then there was this pommie guy who was riding the PBP (1200kms - 96hrs) but he had two-speed. Retrodirect gearing.

Image
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18161
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: FIXIE: What's the deal

Postby backofthebunch » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:23 pm

do hipsters still ride fixed?
backofthebunch
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: FIXIE: What's the deal

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:22 pm

Oh yeah, they do! Was at Sydney Uni last night for the Royal Aeronautical Society event and sure enough, hipster comes riding along on the fixie - riding with no hands on the bars either. Nothing more than showing off! :lol: :roll:
Last edited by g-boaf on Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g-boaf
 
Posts: 3828
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: FIXIE: What's the deal

Postby skull » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:43 pm

Mostly singlespeed rather than fixed.



Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
User avatar
skull
 
Posts: 1657
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: FIXIE: What's the deal

Postby Slvr32gtr » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:22 pm

I ride a single speed to work that i built up. Its only 5km each way and pretty flat so its nice and easy. Being a cheap bitsa bike, i dont care if its raining etc and it means my good bikes dont get destroyed on the crap roads.

I tried flipping the hub to fixed gear for a little while out of curiosity. Apart from suddenly craving skinny soy latte's, i almost killed myself on an average of one in two commutes when i forgot you couldnt freewheel :P Nothing quite as scary as standing up pedalling, then attempting to freewheel and having the pedals nearly throw you over the handlebars!!
User avatar
Slvr32gtr
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: FIXIE: What's the deal

Postby Mike Ayling » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:55 pm

Mulger bill wrote:As long as the hill isn't steep or long enough to stall the bike then a FG will beat a gear bike up a hill with most riders aboard.

No place to hide.


Does tend to raise the heart rate a bit though!

Mike
Mike Ayling
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:26 pm

Re: FIXIE: What's the deal

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:22 pm

Slvr32gtr wrote:I ride a single speed to work that i built up. Its only 5km each way and pretty flat so its nice and easy. Being a cheap bitsa bike, i dont care if its raining etc and it means my good bikes dont get destroyed on the crap roads.

I tried flipping the hub to fixed gear for a little while out of curiosity. Apart from suddenly craving skinny soy latte's, i almost killed myself on an average of one in two commutes when i forgot you couldnt freewheel :P Nothing quite as scary as standing up pedalling, then attempting to freewheel and having the pedals nearly throw you over the handlebars!!


You get over that fairly quick! I was surprised how quickly I got used to it after riding freewheel for a good 30+ years. I was also pleasantly surprised that once I had learned it I could switch between bikes and not screw it up by using the wrong technique on the wrong bike when both styles were used frequently.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: FIXIE: What's the deal

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:47 pm

bychosis wrote:
Slvr32gtr wrote:I ride a single speed to work that i built up. Its only 5km each way and pretty flat so its nice and easy. Being a cheap bitsa bike, i dont care if its raining etc and it means my good bikes dont get destroyed on the crap roads.

I tried flipping the hub to fixed gear for a little while out of curiosity. Apart from suddenly craving skinny soy latte's, i almost killed myself on an average of one in two commutes when i forgot you couldnt freewheel :P Nothing quite as scary as standing up pedalling, then attempting to freewheel and having the pedals nearly throw you over the handlebars!!


You get over that fairly quick! I was surprised how quickly I got used to it after riding freewheel for a good 30+ years. I was also pleasantly surprised that once I had learned it I could switch between bikes and not screw it up by using the wrong technique on the wrong bike when both styles were used frequently.

+1 to this.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25553
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: FIXIE: What's the deal

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:16 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I was a confirmed, dyed in the wool sight unseen mocker of the whole Fixed Gear idea. Then I tried one.

IMO, it's impossible to explain simply because so much of it is a visceral thing. Ignore the fashion side, I run full brakes (and use 'em) and NO spoke cards or any other hipstah gubbins.

I've got two, the Reid Harrier(56cm) will be available for a test run for you or anyone anytime we can make the calendars line up.

Best post here by a mile ! If you haven't tried it, don't think you'll understand. Its not hard, no great esoteric secret . Give it a go. Forget hipster, just do it !

i ride multi gear road, mtb (recently), mammoth cargo, retro - but fixed is something special. I dont ride track, would like to, but even around the hilly streets of Brisbane ... its addictive. I used to ride single speed dragster in the 70s so can zig-zagging a BIG hill easy.

now .. Single speed freewheel ... THAT i dont understand. Whats the deal there... why bother ?
chop wood
User avatar
landscapecadmonkey
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:46 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: FIXIE: What's the deal

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:32 am

landscapecadmonkey wrote:

now .. Single speed freewheel ... THAT i dont understand. Whats the deal there... why bother ?


Easy, it gives you the same sort of workout and simplicity that fixed does, but with the bonus of being able to coast down hills. Win win.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 6350
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: FIXIE: What's the deal

Postby Slvr32gtr » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:22 am

Mulger bill wrote:
bychosis wrote:You get over that fairly quick! I was surprised how quickly I got used to it after riding freewheel for a good 30+ years. I was also pleasantly surprised that once I had learned it I could switch between bikes and not screw it up by using the wrong technique on the wrong bike when both styles were used frequently.

+1 to this.


Well I admire you guys in that regard! I was getting off my roadie after training in the morning, then switching to the fixie to ride to work. I was alright at first as i kept reminding myself what bike i was on, but it was as the mind slipped away during the commute that I would suddenly snap back to reality as i was in the midst of travelling over the handlebars :P

Im sure i gave a few onlookers a laugh anyway as i somehow gathered it up before travelling A over T!

I stuck with it for a few weeks, but in the end decided the freewheel side was better for my health :P
User avatar
Slvr32gtr
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: FIXIE: What's the deal

Postby schroeds » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:40 am

A mate said to me single speed is for people who can't make up their mind, fixed is for people who haven't got one to make up :lol:

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Buy my Look 595 frame/complete bike...just ask me!
User avatar
schroeds
 
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: FIXIE: What's the deal

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:39 pm

schroeds wrote:A mate said to me single speed is for people who can't make up their mind, fixed is for people who haven't got one to make up :lol:

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2


And exactly how much Fixed riding has he done?
A fiver says one 5 minute ride or less.

By all means don't ride Fixed if it isn't for you but why mock those who do?

Deeper insecurities bubbling up perhaps?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25553
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: FIXIE: What's the deal

Postby rustychisel » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:52 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
And exactly how much Fixed riding has he done?
A fiver says one 5 minute ride or less.

By all means don't ride Fixed if it isn't for you but why mock those who do?

Deeper insecurities bubbling up perhaps?




Ah, now spoken like a true defender of the faith
rustychisel
 
Posts: 3344
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Previous

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AdsPear, DavidS, Google Feedfetcher, Mulger bill, piledhigher, rumble11



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter