Serial number on bikes

vitualis

Serial number on bikes

Postby vitualis » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:13 pm

I wanted to get some people's thoughts here. I've signed up with the national bicycle register so that if my bikes every get stolen, there is a better chance of recovery.

However, one of my bikes does not have a frame serial number. What would be the best way of putting on some form of semi-permanent identifier? Paint on a number? Or are there stickers that you can buy?

Best regards.
Michael Tam
Photos: Michael's bicycle obsession
2009 Pegoretti Responsorium Ciavete Custom :: 1982/3 Colnago Super :: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro :: Late 1980s Repco Superlite

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:23 pm

Saw a bike in a Newtown pawn shop, the stamped SN at the BB was grinded off. So in essence, there's nothing permanent. If you are to stamp it in the metal, then put it on two spots. The thief may take the BB one off (common SN location) but you'll have a second one at a more obscure location eg. Underside of the fork.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:30 pm

Write your details on a piece of paper, put it in a small plastic bag and poke it down your seat tube.

biftek

Postby biftek » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:03 pm

$10 per year , i can't see how this would assist in anyway in getting your bike back , if it was a nationally recognized system it might be worth it , but this being the first time i have ever heard of such a database it seems like the only people that would know about it are the people registering the bike

lets face it if your bike was to get knocked off , the thief would flog it off to anyone for some quick easy cash , i don't even think cash converters would bother looking at such a system

some bog , a slap of paint and the bike has disappeared

the only real effective way of keep track of the bikes , would be via rfid like pet chipping systems , only problem being that the metal tubing will create sheilding for the weak signal , rfid tags held in place using some epoxy , they are waterproof , no batteries needed , but it would be an expensive system and would require alot of co-operation

if you really want to deter bike thefts you need this alarm system
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To- ... mments=all
The Honeybike Project

With a $40 pay-as-you-go cell phone, stun gun, and some basic electronic components, you can teach bike thieves a lesson and, hopefully, foster a small social change through individual action:)

itsaghostcar

Postby itsaghostcar » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:16 pm

The UK and US have a register at http://www.immobilise.com which the police do check. Better still ... it's free and you can pretty much list anything you want.

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:14 pm

biftek wrote:$10 per year , i can't see how this would assist in anyway in getting your bike back
True to a point. But at least the cops can have something to look for and have a picture of the bike. When my last bike was stolen, I was met with distinct lack of interest at the other end of the phone.

I'm willing to pay $10 a year for a small likelihood of getting an expensive bike back... ;)
lets face it if your bike was to get knocked off , the thief would flog it off to anyone for some quick easy cash , i don't even think cash converters would bother looking at such a system
Well, I don't think that I have the sort of bike that gets sold at Cash Converters without the proprietor having a close look. In Sydney, the rumour is that it is professional gangs who are targeting road bikes and shipping them interstate or overseas +/- stripping them down. For example, I think that Cannondale warehouse got broken into last year and some 100 odd bikes were stolen! (and AFAIK, not heard from again).

Cheers.
Michael Tam
2009 Pegoretti Responsorium Ciavete Custom :: 1982/3 Colnago Super :: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro :: Late 1980s Repco Superlite

Chooky78

Postby Chooky78 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:40 pm

How about DataDot??

It's standard on many motorbikes and cars these days, and puts hundred of microscopic dots (etched with a unique ID #) that prove uneconomical to completely remove. Spray it inside your frame, and on a few other areas (forks/hubs/rims/BB/stem) and it's done!

Practically invisible, no weight penalty (Ok.. Maybe a couple of grams), and practically permanent. You can also get a DataDot sticker to put on your bike, which would hopefully deter thieves as well...

More info here: DataDot

I have nothing to do with DataDot, but will be getting a kit (one day :roll: ) for my Motorbike, and will probably do my bicycles with the same kit/ID# (probably not supposed to do multiple items with the one kit, but they'll be able to ID me as the owner, which is all I need it to do).

Mark
2005 Yamaha R6 (R46 Yellow/Black)
2006 Giant Alias MTB (Grey)
2007 Giant XTC C1 - Project MTB (Carbon)
2007 Teschner Euro Pro - Custom Road (Carbon/Red)

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:46 pm

vitualis wrote: I'm willing to pay $10 a year for a small likelihood of getting an expensive bike back... ;)
I'm willing to pay $70 a year for a guarantee of getting (almost) enough money to replace my bike (excess excepted).

Admittedly $70 won't buy you insurance for an expensive bike, but I think that it represents better value than $10 for a small likelihood of getting it back.

YMMV.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:40 pm

I wouldn't write-off the idea of the registry completely. I have had police requests trying to locate owners. The registry doesn't prevent theft however makes it easier to return to the rightful owner if recovered. From what I understand the system is accessible by police officers nationwide in helping them track down bikes and owners.

Good suggestion SoGood. I know that engravings can be machined away however just like in a car, when the number has been removed then you know that something is foul.

MountGower I can picture it now "Please officer, I just want to completely dismantle the bike and I will prove that it is mine" :)

Biftek - I think an RFID system would be good however the cost of implementing such a system is a hurdle. Definately a gap in the market for that - and internationally. I can imagine Police walking around with a portable computer (just like Wireless lan networks) and checking all the bikes.

This thread may also be FAQ worthy.. some good info and ideas for protecting what is yours.
Cycling is in my BNA

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:50 am

jasimon wrote:I'm willing to pay $70 a year for a guarantee of getting (almost) enough money to replace my bike (excess excepted).

Admittedly $70 won't buy you insurance for an expensive bike, but I think that it represents better value than $10 for a small likelihood of getting it back.

YMMV.
The last time I got quotes, it was more like $500-700 per year + $750 excess for a claim (AFAIK, you must get home and contents insurance rather than just bike insurance and I don't need home and contents insurance).

Regards.
Michael Tam

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:01 am

vitualis wrote:AFAIK, you must get home and contents insurance rather than just bike insurance and I don't need home and contents insurance.

Regards.
Yes, I've added it to my contents insurance policy - $100 excess.

biftek

Postby biftek » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:14 am

AUbicycles wrote:I wouldn't write-off the idea of the registry completely. I have had police requests trying to locate owners. The registry doesn't prevent theft however makes it easier to return to the rightful owner if recovered. From what I understand the system is accessible by police officers nationwide in helping them track down bikes and owners.
the problem being in most instances for the police to believe an item is stolen they need to have suspicion first eg: raid a drug dealers house do a check on things found
pull some bloke over for not wearing a helmet they wont do a check
expensive bikes that are stolen are normally an inside job , someone knowing your routines and knowing someone that will buy the bike no questions asked

bikes on the street are impulse thing , these are the sorts of bikes that get flogged off to the kid down the road for dirt cheap prices or taken straight to cashies, as i said some bog and a slap of paint and the bike disappears

AUbicycles wrote: Biftek - I think an RFID system would be good however the cost of implementing such a system is a hurdle. Definately a gap in the market for that - and internationally. I can imagine Police walking around with a portable computer (just like Wireless lan networks) and checking all the bikes.
maybe not that extreme with cops walking around with port computers , but the same system then use for lost pets , police stations have the receiver run it over the bike looking for id tags but in order for that to happen the bike would need to be handed in or found at a house they raided

not only is the cost a hurdle , but also the technology of rfid , a metal frame would create massive shielding making the rfid more or less disappear , carbon fibre might be a different story rfid tags might be found

vitualis

Postby vitualis » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:53 pm

OT, but my understanding of carbon fibre is that it is actually electrically conductive (i.e., not unlike graphite). That means that a CF tube acts effectively like a Faraday cage so you are going to have the same (if not worse) problem of RF shielding from CF tubing.

Regards.
Michael Tam

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:07 am

biftek you are right. The Registry would have it's main use in recoveringbikes.. I have seen a few pictures of recoveries where there are hundreds of bikes and in this case when the Police can run a check, returning a bike can be made somewhat easier. I would be interested in the statistic for the percentage of recovered stolen bikes for which the owner can be found. For most expensive bikes I would expect that the theft is reported and at least registered by the Police.

I agree - random bike checks or stopping cyclists is not a likely scenario. Unless the rumours prove otherwise I was under the impression that in the most cases it is not worth the time and effort to stripe and repaint a bike - at least in the case of professional bike thieves.

Good info regarding RFID shielding on bikes. I was think that if these chips were included in the bike frame then tampering would be obvious however don't know where it could be easily placed without affecting the frame structural strength (ie a position on the outside that is also visible - re tampering proof).

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA