Question re Amy's Gran Fondo- Lorne

hybridbellbasket

Question re Amy's Gran Fondo- Lorne

Postby hybridbellbasket » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:42 pm

Anyone know what the total elevation gain is on this ride?

Looking at the elevation profile shows that most of the climbing is done on the big Skene's Creek climb, (I think this should be "do-able") but has anyone "garminned" the whole course?

Thanks!

clackers

Re: Question re Amy's Gran Fondo- Lorne

Postby clackers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:44 pm

hybridbellbasket wrote:Anyone know what the total elevation gain is on this ride?

Looking at the elevation profile shows that most of the climbing is done on the big Skene's Creek climb, (I think this should be "do-able") but has anyone "garminned" the whole course?

Thanks!
My prep for the Skenes Creek climb in the Rainforest Ride last year was Monbulk to Olinda. This has in fact steeper pinches, so it made the Lorne ride very 'doable'.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:53 pm

If you head to the 'Climbing Cyclist' website, you'll be able to find a decription of the course, a ride report and all elevation / distance details, as well as a link to the Strava segment which covers the entire loop.

Good luck with the ride.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

nescius

Postby nescius » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:06 pm

hybridbellbasket wrote:Anyone know what the total elevation gain is on this ride?

Thanks!
Last year my garmin said there was about 1,700m of climbing over the 110km course, a large chunk of that was skenes creek but there is also a fair bit of climbing to the finish.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:56 pm

The Climbing Cyclist describes the climb up Skenes Creek and there is also a Strava segment for the Skene's Creek climb.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

alkhoo

Postby alkhoo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:04 pm

Skenes Creek Rd is the major climb of the ride, but Amy's Gran Fondo also finishes at the top of Benwerrin.

I've done the climb to Benwerin as part of last year's Otway Classic. It's not as steep as Skenes. Two sections - first section is steeper than the second half. I remember getting to the top of Benwerrin and going, "Is that it?" Having said that, there were quite a few riders walking.

When you get to the bottom of Skenes, don't look up. I remember looking up where you see tiny cyclists winding along and I went, "Why do I do this to myself?" I made it up to the top of Skenes and got halfway to Benwerrin before having to jump in the SAG wagon. Both thighs and calves were severely cramping up. Unlike the Otway Classic, I wasn't riding enough and I was under prepared.

There's lots of rolling terrain, including along the Great Ocean Road, before and after you get to Skenes.

It's a great ride. I'm planning to give it another go in 2014.

ozmadonepro

Postby ozmadonepro » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:33 am

Link to someone's attempt last year. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/225387777" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;