First ride with clipless shoes

open topic, for anything cycling related.

First ride with clipless shoes

Postby andione1983 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:32 pm

First ride tonight with clipless shoes... Shaved 5 mins off over 26ks..broke 15strava personal records... Thats clear proof riding with proper gear makes a difference :) very happy

Sent from my Galaxy far far away....
Road Bike - 2013 Merida Ride Lite 93
MTB - Boardman Team Pro 2013
andione1983

by BNA » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:32 pm

BNA

Re: First ride with clipless shoes

Postby andione1983 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:32 pm

And no mishaps :)

andione1983

Postby BianchiCam » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:42 pm

Why ride, when you can 'fly'?
BianchiCam

Postby clackers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:03 pm

Easier on your back, too, smoothing out your action instead of just stomping.
clackers

Postby blkmcs » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:58 pm

andione1983 wrote:First ride tonight with clipless shoes... Shaved 5 mins off over 26ks..broke 15strava personal records... Thats clear proof riding with proper gear makes a difference :) very happy

What type of pedal and shoe combination were you using before you changed to clipless?
Sports shoes, sandals, cycle touring shoes, flat pedals, toe clips with or without straps?
Too old to live, too slow to die.
blkmcs

Postby trailgumby » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:20 am

clackers wrote:Easier on your back, too, smoothing out your action instead of just stomping.

Oh yes. Doubt my lower back would cope with anything longer than trips to the shops with flats.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby andione1983 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:22 am

blkmcs wrote:
andione1983 wrote:First ride tonight with clipless shoes... Shaved 5 mins off over 26ks..broke 15strava personal records... Thats clear proof riding with proper gear makes a difference :) very happy

What type of pedal and shoe combination were you using before you changed to clipless?
Sports shoes, sandals, cycle touring shoes, flat pedals, toe clips with or without straps?
just a pair of Nike running shoes and $30 cheap metal pedals

andione1983

Postby blkmcs » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:58 pm

Too old to live, too slow to die.
blkmcs

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:07 pm

Adrenaline and expectation could have been responsible for some of those minutes/ Just sayin'.
Some days you are a big, strutting rooster, some days you are a bit chicken and some days you are just a complete cocque. Roger Ramjet: 2009 Giant CRX3 Spockette: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 (WSD, property of Mrs Monsoon) Lady Penelope: 2011 Avanti Cadent 1.0 TdF
gorilla monsoon

Postby andione1983 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:01 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:

Adrenaline and expectation could have been responsible for some of those minutes/ Just sayin'.
If times stay the same for a the coming rides.. It should prove yay or nay

andione1983

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:35 pm

I found my times did increase slightly over my commute, but that is 100% dependent on the traffic that I encounter (I only compare riding time rather than total time). What I did notice though, is that I can arrive at the same time as when riding in flats, but it takes a whole lot less effort.

My record for clipless on my commute (10km) is 22min 17 seconds (in winter). With flats, 22 minutes 19 seconds (in summer with a screaming tailwind which I've never seen again). The next flats record is 24 min 27 seconds.

While the records are close together, the variance between rides with flats is greater than rides with clipless. and yes, I was only looking at this because I was interested to see what the impact of clipless pedals were over an extended period of time. Not because I've got a bit of OCD :P

anyway, from re-reading what I wrote, I'm now off to re-organise my pen collection........ :lol:
FuzzyDropbear

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:28 pm

you sure its not just a mental thing? :lol:

just becareful of falls...
i personally have found that in falls i would be better off without clipless.

falls can be very very painful (if landed on the wrong surface that is)
DoubleSpeeded

Postby clackers » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:35 pm

DoubleSpeeded wrote:

you sure its not just a mental thing? :lol:

just becareful of falls...
i personally have found that in falls i would be better off without clipless.

falls can be very very painful (if landed on the wrong surface that is)

Clipstacks tend to happen when you're motionless and first learning, though, DS.

Dignity is what's usually damaged. :)
clackers

Postby macca33 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Didn't see this thread Andrew - well done - you're moving along at a great rate mate!

cheers
'dale CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800 & CAAD10 Team Ult6800

macca33

Postby andione1983 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks... :) second go at it this evening... Hard to say results I was quick but it was raining and I was sort of taking it easy times were on par with riding in runners

Last edited by andione1983 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andione1983

Postby lobstermash » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:06 pm

I found going to clipless did little in regard to my average speeds etc, which is within about a 4km/h varience anyway depending on wind, traffic and the number of stops I have to make. But it's lessened the difference between my Monday legs and Friday legs, and I find on longer rides I tend to pull up a bit with my hammies and calves when my quads need a brief break to make it up that last hill of the day (or so my legs think)...

Going to a lighter wheelset also had a similar effect for me. Everything felt better and easier, but my average speed didn't change much.
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

Postby Dimis » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:30 pm

andione1983 wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:

If times stay the same for a the coming rides.. It should prove yay or nay

Simple. It's yay!
You engage more muscles as you cycle rather than just stomp.
End of story!

Congrats, you'll only get faster stronger and last longer from here,
IMHO - it the cheapest and best performance upgrade. Well done.

As for falling, it is inevitable.
But - You won't fall any more frequently than before using clipless.
You just fall if you're going too slow, which is a tad embarrassing, but far less painful than falling at speed as your non clipped foot slips off a pedal.
Dimis

Postby Dimis » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:37 pm

lobstermash wrote:I found going to clipless did little in regard to my average speeds etc, which is within about a 4km/h varience anyway depending on wind, traffic and the number of stops I have to make. But it's lessened the difference between my Monday legs and Friday legs, and I find on longer rides I tend to pull up a bit with my hammies and calves when my quads need a brief break to make it up that last hill of the day (or so my legs think)...

Going to a lighter wheelset also had a similar effect for me. Everything felt better and easier, but my average speed didn't change much.

Help me out here...
You went just as fast, but your perceived effort was less as you felt less tired?
So what would happen if your effort levels were the same?

Just saying
Dimis

Postby Timeonabike » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:38 pm

Nice one. You'll never look back.
I had to do a mid workday errand the other day, and was too lazy to put my proper gear on, so went in my boots (as I used to all the time).
Huge difference in speed and control - it sucked!

Cheers,

Time
Timeonabike

Postby lobstermash » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:55 pm

Dimis wrote:
lobstermash wrote:I found going to clipless did little in regard to my average speeds etc, which is within about a 4km/h varience anyway depending on wind, traffic and the number of stops I have to make. But it's lessened the difference between my Monday legs and Friday legs, and I find on longer rides I tend to pull up a bit with my hammies and calves when my quads need a brief break to make it up that last hill of the day (or so my legs think)...

Help me out here...
You went just as fast, but your perceived effort was less as you felt less tired?
So what would happen if your effort levels were the same?

Just saying

Hypothetically, if I was to plot my various commutes and try to find an equation of best fit, I'd guess that all the other factors (intersections, pedestrians, traffic, wind) that slow me down have a greater impact on the speed of my commute than clipless shoes and lighter wheels. Further evidence for this is that I often get pretty close to my average road bike speeds on my steel, crappy wheelset SS. I don't ride with a trip computer and my phone (running Strava) stays in my wedge bag, so don't worry about me not pedalling my little legs off...
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

Postby Timbo1 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:04 pm

I was taking my brother in laws bike to the shop for a service the other day whilst he was on holidays and could not believe how much harder it was to ride a bike without clipless pedals. Every time I went to put in an effort I was lifting my feet off the pedals and was having trouble keeping feet in the right spot. I didn't think it made all that much of a difference until than. I am so used to pulling my legs up now I could never go back. Truly a wonderful invention. Although I recall when I first got them a couple of embarrassing moments from not unclipping in time at intersections. Or having to stop suddenly and not being experienced enough to unclip fast enough. :oops:
Timbo1

Postby human909 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:42 pm

Placebo is a wonderful thing! :mrgreen:

Lighter wheel-sets? Your playing with seconds in an hour here. Clipless sure some difference but not 5 minutes over 25km! In fact when cyclists are put onto a machine and tested they found no difference in pedalling efficiency and effectiveness.

https://www.thieme-connect.com/ejournal ... 08-1038374

The aim of this study was to determine the influence of different shoe-pedal interfaces and of an active pulling-up action during the upstroke phase on the pedalling technique. Eight elite cyclists (C) and seven non-cyclists (NC) performed three different bouts at 90 rev · min−1 and 60 % of their maximal aerobic power. They pedalled with single pedals (PED), with clipless pedals (CLIP) and with a pedal force feedback (CLIPFBACK) where subjects were asked to pull up on the pedal during the upstroke. There was no significant difference for pedalling effectiveness, net mechanical efficiency (NE) and muscular activity between PED and CLIP. When compared to CLIP, CLIPFBACK resulted in a significant increase in pedalling effectiveness during upstroke (86 % for C and 57 % NC, respectively), as well as higher biceps femoris and tibialis anterior muscle activity (p < 0.001). However, NE was significantly reduced (p < 0.008) with 9 % and 3.3 % reduction for C and NC, respectively. Consequently, shoe-pedal interface (PED vs. CLIP) did not significantly influence cycling technique during submaximal exercise. However, an active pulling-up action on the pedal during upstroke increased the pedalling effectiveness, while reducing net mechanical efficiency.

That said being clipped into a nice light bike is a great feeling. But don't let feelings dominate facts. I ride clipless for my long rides. But most of my riding is commuting in normal clothes so its flats for me then.
human909

Postby Dimis » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:02 am

human909 wrote:Placebo is a wonderful thing! :mrgreen:

Lighter wheel-sets? Your playing with seconds in an hour here. Clipless sure some difference but not 5 minutes over 25km! In fact when cyclists are put onto a machine and tested they found no difference in pedalling efficiency and effectiveness.

https://www.thieme-connect.com/ejournal ... 08-1038374

The aim of this study was to determine the influence of different shoe-pedal interfaces and of an active pulling-up action during the upstroke phase on the pedalling technique. Eight elite cyclists (C) and seven non-cyclists (NC) performed three different bouts at 90 rev · min−1 and 60 % of their maximal aerobic power. They pedalled with single pedals (PED), with clipless pedals (CLIP) and with a pedal force feedback (CLIPFBACK) where subjects were asked to pull up on the pedal during the upstroke. There was no significant difference for pedalling effectiveness, net mechanical efficiency (NE) and muscular activity between PED and CLIP. When compared to CLIP, CLIPFBACK resulted in a significant increase in pedalling effectiveness during upstroke (86 % for C and 57 % NC, respectively), as well as higher biceps femoris and tibialis anterior muscle activity (p < 0.001). However, NE was significantly reduced (p < 0.008) with 9 % and 3.3 % reduction for C and NC, respectively. Consequently, shoe-pedal interface (PED vs. CLIP) did not significantly influence cycling technique during submaximal exercise. However, an active pulling-up action on the pedal during upstroke increased the pedalling effectiveness, while reducing net mechanical efficiency.

That said being clipped into a nice light bike is a great feeling. But don't let feelings dominate facts. I ride clipless for my long rides. But most of my riding is commuting in normal clothes so its flats for me then.

Nice find... But let me know what happens when they actually ride with just a tad more effort than cruising.

60% effort kind of makes this study null and void for me for the purpose of qualifying its "performance" benefit.
Just saying, you're nowhere near TV limit to test its true virtues. So why the findings may be true, I don't yet subscribe to the conclusion.

Do you think they would have the same outcomes if they were at 80% or 90% or even 100% anaerobic power?
Dimis

Postby human909 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:43 am

Dimis wrote:Nice find... But let me know what happens when they actually ride with just a tad more effort than cruising.

60% effort kind of makes this study null and void for me for the purpose of qualifying its "performance" benefit.
Just saying, you're nowhere near TV limit to test its true virtues. So why the findings may be true, I don't yet subscribe to the conclusion.

Do you think they would have the same outcomes if they were at 80% or 90% or even 100% anaerobic power?

Seriously?

What makes you think that pedal efficiency at 60% aerobic performance is different from 100%? Also as far as I am concerned most riders are closer to 60% than 100% when riding, if you can talk then you are not close to 100%.

The 60% figure would have been chosen because it is far more experimentally repeatable than 100%.
human909

Postby Dimis » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:53 am

human909 wrote:
Dimis wrote:Nice find... But let me know what happens when they actually ride with just a tad more effort than cruising.

Seriously?

What makes you think that pedal efficiency at 60% aerobic performance is different from 100%? Also as far as I am concerned most riders are closer to 60% than 100% when riding, if you can talk then you are not close to 100%.

The 60% figure would have been chosen because it is far more experimentally repeatable than 100%.

Yes, quite seriously...

Lets play a hypothetical game.

You and I are casually cycling down the road, talking to each other (60% aerobic) when we happen to see a blonde in a swim suit, holding a briefcase full of cash, with a BIG neon sign that says the "first one here gets to keep me". The money... not the blonde... get your mind out of the gutter... :p

You have clipless :D , I'm without clipless :x All else is equal...
Who do you think will get the cash?

But it doesn't end there, on this one max effort... instead, we discover that periodically, conveniently placed every so often up the road there are more brunettes, and then red heads in swimsuits holding briefcases full of cash and other goodies... who do you think will repeatedly get there first? You with clipless, or me without?

Now, you refer to the terms "pedal efficiency" - what that means exactly in the context of the scientific investigation you linked to, I couldn't care less. Ultimately, "performance" is improved, hence they all wear clipless to win the gold, or wear the yellow, or the green, or the polka dot or pink or the blah blah...

I'll conceed that as a "snap shot" of the cycling motion or pedaling motion, there may be insignificant difference between the two at 60% effort. BUT I'll maintain that the validity of this, relevant to the overall discussion of "clipless vs less clips", is null and void, as it doesn't take into consideration when we jump out of the saddle, accelerate or go max effort... All part of a day in the saddle. Now if I was traveling in town where I had to unclip ever 50m then that's different.

C'mon, don't kid yourself... science (bad or otherwise) can be quoted to prove almost anything. Go on, ask me how I know :wink:

Over to you kind sir, for your response and rebuttal...

Either way, enjoy your ride... with or without clipless :)
Dimis

Next

Return to General discussion