Swooping magpie pix

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Swooping magpie pix

Postby TraceyG » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:51 pm

And here is the video. I am still learning to use the editing software so it's a bit rough. After the first runthrough I have put some of the swoops in on slow mo.

[url]http://youtu.be/xcKA1debTQM/[url]
TraceyG

by BNA » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:58 pm

BNA

Postby briztoon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:58 pm

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Nice how the white 4WD or what ever pulled up to watch the attack.
briztoon

Swooping magpie pix

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:57 am

briztoon wrote:Nice how the white 4WD or what ever pulled up to watch the attack.

It's always funny when its not you but your riding partners. :laugh:
singlespeedscott

Postby Cossie Phil » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:50 am

Has anyone developed a laser guided anti aircraft gun for helmets?! One that utilises a Gopro mount would sell by the crate load!!
Cossie Phil

Postby briztoon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:33 am

I was also surprised how far it chased you.
briztoon

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:46 am

One chased me for about 5min when I was climbing up Oceanview Rd on Mt Mee the other day. The bloody road must of looped along his boundary line.
singlespeedscott

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:52 am

That Maggie has been watching ww2 fighter aircraft films :) Diving out of the sun to fall on his blindsided prey.
warthog1

Postby Bah77 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:01 pm

Not as exciting as the above, but just me daydreaming notice a shadow think "oh a bird.. hey i wonder if itll swoo.."

It only went once, maybe it was tired from all the other riverloopers before me?
Bah77

Postby TraceyG » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:13 pm

The white four wheel drive was actually the Australia Post rural delivery contractor so he wasn't really hanging back to watch the action. Actually, he was very considerate and aware of me on the road as we repeatedly passed each other.

Mr Magpie was out again this morning but he zoned in on one of my riding mates this time.
TraceyG

Postby kimmie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:04 pm

Got swooped on my morning ride in Knox this morning... As a result I had a nasty fall too as I was panicked and frantically try to keep it away... Thank goodness my bike's OK, but my body's not... as I rolled over and my body took the most bump with the bitumen (hence my bike's escape without a single scratch)....

Tracey, whereabout was those picture taken? I am planning to ride from Ringwood to Drouin next week, and what happened this morning really gave me an ill feeling...

Was about to tie some cable ties on my helmet, but someone posted a video showing those ties won't help...

That darn bird.... Hmmmph....
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"
kimmie

Postby kimmie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:12 pm

TraceyG wrote:The white four wheel drive was actually the Australia Post rural delivery contractor so he wasn't really hanging back to watch the action. Actually, he was very considerate and aware of me on the road as we repeatedly passed each other.

Mr Magpie was out again this morning but he zoned in on one of my riding mates this time.

Tracey,

Will I ride that path if I am riding from Pakenham to Drouin? I am planning to take some members' suggestion and take the road parallel to railway through Longwarry-Drouin rd....

Any tips of how to avoid a nasty fall like what I had today? Just ignore it and keep riding?

Cheers
kimmie

Postby trailgumby » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:22 pm

Stay focussed on what you're doing. Normally they just zoom by and maybe brush a wingtip, just presenting a scare rather than a physical threat.

I do know of one near me on a popular mountain bike trail that will draw blood from your nose, but that's a butcher bird rather than a maggie. However, that bird is exceptional in its aggression and I've only encountered one other like it.

I have a couple that swoop me on my route. I'm always focussed on the bigger potential threat, which is other traffic. If you don;t do so already, I'd invest in a pair of cycling glasses for eye protection... not only from bird beaks and the like, but bugs and road grime as well.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby kimmie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:40 pm

trailgumby wrote:Stay focussed on what you're doing. Normally they just zoom by and maybe brush a wingtip, just presenting a scare rather than a physical threat.

I do know of one near me on a popular mountain bike trail that will draw blood from your nose, but that's a butcher bird rather than a maggie. However, that bird is exceptional in its aggression and I've only encountered one other like it.

I have a couple that swoop me on my route. I'm always focussed on the bigger potential threat, which is other traffic. If you don;t do so already, I'd invest in a pair of cycling glasses for eye protection... not only from bird beaks and the like, but bugs and road grime as well.

Thanks for the tips, trailgumby. Half of the reason why I went over the bar today was because it was my first time, so I was panicked and didn't know what to do... have heard about that darn birg swooping cyclist, but never experIence one until this morning... I will keep well away from that Knox trail until November ish....
kimmie

Postby mattwilkinson » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:40 pm

Theres an aggresive one on the O'keefe Rail Trail in Bendigo,

I got swooped on the way out and on the way back...
First time it scratched my helmet a few times, Then scratched the side of my face and grabbed my shoulder.
On the way back I got swooped a few times but I put the foot down going 41k up a hill, And got away only being hit once..
mattwilkinson

Postby TraceyG » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:43 pm

kimmie wrote:Got swooped on my morning ride in Knox this morning... As a result I had a nasty fall too as I was panicked and frantically try to keep it away... Thank goodness my bike's OK, but my body's not... as I rolled over and my body took the most bump with the bitumen (hence my bike's escape without a single scratch)....

Tracey, whereabout was those picture taken? I am planning to ride from Ringwood to Drouin next week, and what happened this morning really gave me an ill feeling...

Was about to tie some cable ties on my helmet, but someone posted a video showing those ties won't help...

That darn bird.... Hmmmph....

Hi Kimmie,

Sorry to hear about your fall. As you can see on the video, I didn't try to swerve or get away from the magpie and he never actually hit me. I have found it best to just keep on riding and get out of their territory as quickly as possible.

I know lots of riders who swear by cable ties, and others who stick pictures of a pair of eyes on their helmet. At the moment i have neither and only get swooped when I am riding alone. Who knows?

Anyway, you won't encounter this particular bird on your planned ride as Trafalgar is further easr than Drouin.

Good luck and enjoy.
TraceyG

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:12 pm

mattwilkinson wrote:Theres an aggresive one on the O'keefe Rail Trail in Bendigo,

I got swooped on the way out and on the way back...
First time it scratched my helmet a few times, Then scratched the side of my face and grabbed my shoulder.
On the way back I got swooped a few times but I put the foot down going 41k up a hill, And got away only being hit once..

Bum, was thinking of doing it again next long weekend. How far out of Bendigo was it?

Oh yeah, have they fixed the cable bridge yet? Detour last time was a pain.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:39 am

When I lived in Canberra there used to be one that would land on your back and actually go you while it hung on :shock:
singlespeedscott

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:45 am

Kimmie,
As TrailGumby mentioned, the most important thing is to stay focussed on the road and what you are doing.

It is VERY easy to become distracted and try to look back to see where the bird is however this can easily and quickly see you on the wrong side of the road and should there be oncoming traffic - well, you can imagine the rest.

Depending on if the sun is out and the direction you are heading, you may be able to keep an eye on your shadow which will (somewhat) alert you when the bird is incoming.....and if it all gets too much, or the bird is too aggressive and it feels too dangerous to keep riding - STOP and get off your bike.

The bird may retreat into a nearby tree however once you start off again and should you still be in the birds perceived territory, it will resume it's attack until you have crossed its boundary....so be careful (or walk your bike down the road).

If you feel safe enough to keep on riding I often find waving one hand across the top of my helmet can deter them from making contact - and the other hand stays firmly on the top bars where I have more control of the bike. Otherwise I may get down into the drops and assume an aero position.
Not only can I tuck down low and protect my face if needed but with my hands in the drops I can hit the brakes with more stopping power, should I need to.

Cable ties can deter them from making contact but it "can" also provole the more aggressive birds to instead perch on your shoulder and attack your ear/face/etc.
I'd much prefer a tap on the top of the helmet than have one land on me....

Best of all, try to avoid known areas where aggressive birds are and enjoy your riding.

They are a nuisance whilst riding this time of year, but I'm sure the birds get sick of flying out of the trees all the time to protect their nesting area as well.
I wonder if the birds have a forum where they can bitch and moan about how they had to swoop x number of cyclists today??? LOL

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S
DoogleDave

Postby warthog1 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:47 am

There used to be a really aggressive one on cureton ave mildura. Only ever hit the helmet, though my old bell helmet had the rear part well and truly pock marked by its beak.
Once you get used to it and as long as the road is free of traffic it's actually fun to watch the shadow approach and try and snatch it out of the air with your hand.
I gave that magpie as good as I got in the end I reckon. Never managed to actually get hold of it but certainly brushed its feathers a few times.
warthog1

Postby VRE » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:52 am

I just want to know when we can expect more pictures like those earlier in this thread :) . A short magpie swooping video would be even better :D , complete with a slow-motion replay of the final approach.
VRE

Postby skull » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:19 am

singlespeedscott wrote:When I lived in Canberra there used to be one that would land on your back and actually go you while it hung on :shock:

The one on brindabella rd did that. Haven't seen hin this year, yet...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
skull

Swooping magpie pix

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:59 am

skull wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:When I lived in Canberra there used to be one that would land on your back and actually go you while it hung on :shock:

The one on brindabella rd did that. Haven't seen hin this year, yet...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

This one was at the intersection of Kingsford Smith and Ginninderra drives.
Last edited by singlespeedscott on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
singlespeedscott

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:19 am

Great pics! Hope you don't mind me pinching the first one for my FB profile pic... Seemed an apt summary of cycling in the Aussie spring, a nice explanation for my friends back in pommyland of what I spend September whinging about!

Just Riding Along
GeoffInBrisbane

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:03 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
DaveOZ wrote:Great pics. I actually love magpies and try my best to talk to them while they attack. I think it helps.....

Yea I often "talk" to magpies when I encounter them. You'll understand if I don't post a video of such "talking", this is a family forum after all :lol: .

I do as well. You'll all understand that a discreet curtain will be drawn over the contents of said discussion. Most expletive laden!

I saw the pest of a bird flying abeam me going the opposite direction, it saw me watching it too as it started its U turn to go after me. It only did the one swoop and pulled away thank god.

DoogleDave wrote:They are a nuisance whilst riding this time of year, but I'm sure the birds get sick of flying out of the trees all the time to protect their nesting area as well.

Fortunately birds that overstep their mark and get too aggressive can be dealt with under the law by the appropriate authorities. Conservation is one thing, but when they are a threat to our safety and do more than just harmless swooping, then it is time.

I generally watch the shadow, tuck down and sprint where it is safe to do so. I'm not going to make it easy for the magpie to chase me, that's for certain. I can only manage about 52-55km/h on the flat and not for too long - but's it's enough usually to get me out of there with 1-2 swoops. Otherwise I just walk through the area - without my helmet on. Has anyone tried riding through a magpie area without a helmet (maybe just a cycling cap)?

As others have said, don't try to look behind you for the bird - it's a recipe for a crash.

Cossie Phil wrote:Has anyone developed a laser guided anti aircraft gun for helmets?! One that utilises a Gopro mount would sell by the crate load!!

A mini phalanx system for our helmets with automatic target mode would make us considerably safer. :) If someone can develop such a system, they will be rich.
g-boaf

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion