Good alternative to Energy gels?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Good alternative to Energy gels?

Postby thearthurdog » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Oh man - why would you poison your body with that stuff? have you tried to eating high calorie AND wholesome food?
Cervelo s5
Giant Trinity Composite 1
http://www.crosswindmissile.blogspot.com.au
thearthurdog

by BNA » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:47 pm

BNA

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:47 pm

thearthurdog wrote:Oh man - why would you poison your body with that stuff? have you tried to eating high calorie AND wholesome food?

It doesn't matter what you eat when it's all going to be burned before the end of the day.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:54 pm

Nothing like a pile of fat to sit in your gut all day while your trying to ride... Think I will stick to carbs. can understand that in the Australian country side on a 300km ride crap take aways might be the only thing on the menu.
Gels are the only non natural thing that I eat all week... Everything else comes in its natural wrapper. I can live with that.
Last edited by toolonglegs on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toolonglegs

Postby thearthurdog » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:56 pm

RonK wrote:
thearthurdog wrote:Oh man - why would you poison your body with that stuff? have you tried to eating high calorie AND wholesome food?

It doesn't matter what you eat when it's all going to be burned before the end of the day.

Disagree. Different foods digest differently. Tell me that a crumbed sausage is as good as a banana and a wholegrain bread roll.
Cervelo s5
thearthurdog

Good alternative to Energy gels?

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:01 pm

thearthurdog wrote:
RonK wrote:

Disagree. Different foods digest differently. Tell me that a crumbed sausage is as good as a banana and a wholegrain bread roll.

OK - I will tell you. A crumbed sausage is as good as if not better than a banana or bread roll when you are on a 200km ride such as Lachy mentioned.

Not every ride requires food that provides an instant sugar hit. In fact you will hit the wall even harder just as soon as the sugar is burnt.

Mike Denniss, who has just completed running around the world, apparently prefers pies:-

"When he was crossing the Nullarbor, a team of committed friends would thaw out frozen pies at night. In the morning, they'd deposit the pies at markers along the route and cover them with rocks until he arrived. Tom Denniss would finish off the meat pie diet with a couple of glasses of red wine at night."
Last edited by RonK on Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonK

Postby thearthurdog » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:11 pm

You don't get an instant sugar hit from a banana and a wholegrain bread roll.

You're seriously advocating eating a bag of deep fried and crumbed rubbish that Doris from the Caltex made when she finished her shift 7 hours ago? Gimme a break. No one is saying to live on power bars and gels but there are a million things you can eat that taste good and have high energy and nutritional value.
Cervelo s5
thearthurdog

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:23 pm

thearthurdog wrote:You don't get an instant sugar hit from a banana and a wholegrain bread roll.

You're seriously advocating eating a bag of deep fried and crumbed rubbish that Doris from the Caltex made when she finished her shift 7 hours ago? Gimme a break. No one is saying to live on power bars and gels but there are a million things you can eat that taste good and have high energy and nutritional value.

I'm not "advocating" anything - you are doing the advocating. I'm saying you eat whatever food is available and palatable and gives you the energy you need.

On my last tour I ate whatever I wanted during the day, usually two breakfasts, two lunches and several snacks in between of what ever I could get along the road. Eggs and bacon, burgers, chips, chip and chips, muffins, cakes, Mars bars. I finished most days with a steak and a couple of pints, and still had to tighten my belt by two holes in a month. There are times when you just can't cram enough food into your body.

PS. Forgot to mention the pies...
RonK

Postby thearthurdog » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:35 pm

Please yourself I guess.
Cervelo s5
thearthurdog

Postby Leiothrix » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:42 pm

I'm just wondering at calling energy gels processed crap.

They're sugar, maltodextrin, salt and some flavoring.

If you get "citrus" flavor then that is just citric acid.

I'd certainly call a hot dog or chicko roll processed crap, but what's wrong with a gel?
Leiothrix

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:48 pm

thearthurdog wrote:Please yourself I guess.

I did - do.
RonK

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Oh god yes ldrcycles. I just love digging into good old fatty foods mid ride on a 170+ ride (none of that maccas/kfc stuff but traditional food like meat pies, sausage rolls, fish and chips, hot dogs, chicko rolls, beef burgers etc). Its not the end of the world and youre not stuffing your face with it but its great to just grab something like that to eat on the longer rides. I stopped into that little corner store at the bottom of Mt Mee on the way to Woodford one day just as I started to bonk/get the chocolate bar-coke sugar fix and I saw written down Hot Dog + meat works or something. It had cheese, bacon, bbq sauce and a couple other goodies that just tasted sooo bloody good after having been in the saddle for 3-4 hours. After that I just powered on and then back to Brissie like a machine. That was a good ride that day :lol:
Lukeyboy

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:21 pm

Two different groups talking here... if you are riding flat out for 150kms you need lots of sugar cause it is all over in under 4 hours. If you are taking all day to ride 150kms then you can eat all of Doris' pies that you desire... gels are not really on the menu.
toolonglegs

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:24 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Two different groups talking here... if you are riding flat out for 150kms you need lots of sugar cause it is all over in under 4 hours. If you are taking all day to ride 150kms then you can eat all of Doris' pies that you desire... gels are not really on the menu.

That's sorted that out I reckon :)
warthog1

Postby Paul B » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:48 pm

My initial response to the idea of energy gels was processed crap... avoid and eat dates instead.. However, this article has some interesting info and having read it, MAYBE I will give the gels a try. Can't hurt I guess :-)
http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/sportsgels.htm
Paul B

Postby Paul B » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:52 pm

Paul B

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:57 pm

RonK wrote:On my last tour I ate whatever I wanted during the day, usually two breakfasts, two lunches and several snacks in between of what ever I could get along the road. Eggs and bacon, burgers, chips, chip and chips, muffins, cakes, Mars bars. I finished most days with a steak and a couple of pints, and still had to tighten my belt by two holes in a month. There are times when you just can't cram enough food into your body.

Seems like the only food group missing from that days intake is spam :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:08 pm

thearthurdog wrote:You don't get an instant sugar hit from a banana and a wholegrain bread roll.

Two Mars Bars before a steep climb has stood me in good stead in the past :wink:

These days I am more choosy - Cherry Ripes power me along very nicely.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby thearthurdog » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Now you're talking !
Cervelo s5
thearthurdog

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:30 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
RonK wrote:On my last tour I ate whatever I wanted during the day, usually two breakfasts, two lunches and several snacks in between of what ever I could get along the road. Eggs and bacon, burgers, chips, chip and chips, muffins, cakes, Mars bars. I finished most days with a steak and a couple of pints, and still had to tighten my belt by two holes in a month. There are times when you just can't cram enough food into your body.

Seems like a good enough opportunity to remind you all that Ron is still leading the dodgy retro jersey comp, and on track for a prize can of Spam....

the retro jersey thread
Dan

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:48 pm

RonK wrote:I finished most days with a steak and a couple of pints, and still had to tighten my belt by two holes in a month.

More beer, more beer, more beer, more beer, more beer.........more beer, more beer!
We found a couple of pints at the end of the day was great rehydration that saw us all the way from Melbourne to Oodnadatta

RonK wrote:There are times when you just can't cram enough food into your body.

Mmmm. Great pies from the Stone Hut Pie Shop in Stone Hut, SA; and the Quandong Café at Copley, SA :wink:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:28 pm

Dan wrote:Seems like a good enough opportunity to remind you all that Ron is still leading the dodgy retro jersey comp, and on track for a prize can of Spam....

the retro jersey thread

Hehe - I've posted a new entry just to make sure...
RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:30 pm

Mulger bill wrote:

Well, I didn't say that this was an exhaustive list... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by RonK on Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonK

Postby clackers » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:34 pm

I love my chocolate and pies. One of the purposes of eating is enjoyment, and I've got that one covered. ;)

But the grams of fat in them won't be processed for a Saturday ride ... they're liable to end up adding to the waistline in the days that follow.

Sugar, in minutes, and starches, in hours, have same day benefits.

For repeated activity like a tour, fats are fine, though.

The double calorific value means that polar explorers could carry tins of vegetable oil with them to drink raw. :shock:
clackers

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Oh yea I forgot to mention meat pies, they're great too.

I won't get into an argument about what people like to eat, you can eat whatever works for you and it's no skin off my nose, but 315kms with a number of 40kmh+ flat segments would suggest that my body doesn't consider those foods "poison" :) .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby kb » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:50 am

ldrcycles wrote:Oh yea I forgot to mention meat pies, they're great too.

I won't get into an argument about what people like to eat, you can eat whatever works for you and it's no skin off my nose, but 315kms with a number of 40kmh+ flat segments would suggest that my body doesn't consider those foods "poison" :) .

Yet... ;-)
kb

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion