POLL: Car ownership among cyclists

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Do you also have a car and a drivers licence?

Yes, both
88%
Only a car (no licence)
No votes
Only a licence (no car)
9%
Neither, that's why I ride
4%

Total votes : 136

POLL: Car ownership among cyclists

Postby The_Eggman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:49 pm

I'm kinda fed up with drivers whinging about cyclists being on the road. For 1, our taxes pay for roads not rego fees, and 2, my guess is most cyclists also have a car which they indeed pay rego on. I'm curious about #2, hence the poll. Occasonally you also get the no licence chestnut, so I though I'd ask that at the same time.

Just curious, and keen to have some stats to back my point of view
(and by car, I also include 4WDs, motorbikes and vans)
Last edited by The_Eggman on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Eggman

by BNA » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:12 pm

BNA

Re: Car ownership among cyclists

Postby human909 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:12 pm

I believe you might find a similar poll here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=56396

:wink:
human909

Re: Car ownership among cyclists

Postby albertgaleano » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:22 pm

I live close to the city, no car and a learners for ID sake. :)
albertgaleano

Re: POLL: Car ownership among cyclists

Postby briztoon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:11 pm

No car, no licence. Never owned either.
briztoon

Postby Slowcoach » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Pretty hard to get through life when you live in the burbs and have kids
Goal:ride to work >2times per week for next 6 months - starting September 23rd2013
Slowcoach

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:47 pm

I have a car that sees a lot of use (more than double the average annual kms) but it hasn't moved in the last 2 days, used the bike to commute instead to save money on fuel :) .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby human909 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:05 pm

All the more reason not to live in the burbs. You can save tens of thousands on car expenses. :wink:
human909

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:18 pm

Car and motorbike. The bike gets used only twice a week if the weathers good so I feel all warm and fluffy subsidizing the general motoring public.
I want a refund!
BianchiCam

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:08 pm

I voted both although technically not correct. Car is a leased tool of the trade vehicle with full private use, and much like LDR does well above average k's. Between this one and the last one I've put 227000 on them in 6 years.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby queequeg » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:22 am

We have one car. I used to have my own car and my gf had hers as well. My car sat in the garage 95% of the time so I sold it. We later upgraded the gf's car when it got written off while we waited at a red light (and got ploughed into by an out of control car jumping a median strip and t-boning us).
With two young kids we can't do without it, but it is only used for local trips and has low km. I only use the car on weekends. I ride 12,000km a year on the bike. The car has averaged about 8,000km a year, but that includes a few Syd-Sunshine Coast round trips.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:44 am

Last time I heard the 'Cars pay for the roads" argument I informed the yob that at that time I owned or paid rego on 5 cars and 3 trailers for business and personal use. :evil:
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus

Postby rjk » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:27 am

last time i checked we had 5 personal cars and one work vehicle for a family of 4 , i guess i more than qualify :)
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane
rjk

Postby barefoot » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:50 am

My family has a car.

We used to have two cars. But I have no use for a car during the week (bike commute), and we rarely use more than one car on the weekend. So I washed the moss and lichen off the second car (literally - it grew moss and lichen on the window rubbers), and got rid of it.

Our one car does below average milage per year. About 12k km. So pretending for a moment that rego fees are in any way related to road funding... I demand a refund from all those bastards out there who do 20k km/year or more, driving to work every day, wearing out my roads and not paying extra.

tim
barefoot

Postby westab » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:51 am

im_no_pro wrote:I voted both although technically not correct. Car is a leased tool of the trade vehicle with full private use, and much like LDR does well above average k's. Between this one and the last one I've put 227000 on them in 6 years.

Gee mate - you better not hear some people say that: NOT ONLY YOU DON'T PAY REGO FOR YOUR BIKE YOU DON'T ON YOUR CAR AS WELL - HOW DO YOU LIVE WITH THE SHAME OF IT ALL :D :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh and technically I don't own a car either - it is leased through work and driven mostly by wife. :oops: :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby djw47 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:09 am

human909 wrote:All the more reason not to live in the burbs. You can save tens of thousands on car expenses. :wink:

Sounds good in theory but you save tens (if not hundreds) of thousands on a house in the burbs.
djw47

Postby briztoon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:11 am

For the record.

I don't believe the argument, "but I own and pay rego on a car to" is valid when you're riding your bike to work. Whether you own and pay rego on one family car or a fleet of cars, you pay rego to be allowed to use those vehicles, not to use your bike.

If you want to argue, "but I contribute to road costs by paying registration on a/multiple motor vehicle/s", then you have to agree with the argument that registration fees help pay for the roads.

http://www.ptua.org.au/myths/petroltax.shtml

Otherwise I don't understand what this poll is for.
briztoon

Postby rangersac » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:44 am

One car family, but low usage as both adults bike commute for work, and kids get walked/ ride to childcare/ kinder.

briztoon wrote: don't believe the argument, "but I own and pay rego on a car to" is valid when you're riding your bike to work. Whether you own and pay rego on one family car or a fleet of cars, you pay rego to be allowed to use those vehicles, not to use your bike.

I would happily pay rego on my bikes granted the following conditions applied:

1. The cost of rego for any vehicles was worked out on the basis of damage caused to roads due to gross weight of vehicle, and pollution emitted (much like the road tax system in the UK).
2. The total take from bike rego was supplemented as per current road funding by the equivalent shortfall difference from general taxation.
3. The take from bike rego + general taxation supplement was used directly to fund bike lane/ path improvements.

However given point 1, the cost of registering a bike would be so low it undoubtedly wouldn't cover the administration costs for the system, rendering the whole exercise pointless.
Last edited by rangersac on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Gemini Steelie
rangersac

Postby briztoon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:49 am

rangersac wrote:However given point 1, the cost of registering a bike would be so low it undoubtedly wouldn't cover the administration costs for the system, rendering the whole exercise pointless.

:wink:
briztoon

Postby outnabike » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:06 am

briztoon wrote:For the record.

I don't believe the argument, "but I own and pay rego on a car to" is valid when you're riding your bike to work. Whether you own and pay rego on one family car or a fleet of cars, you pay rego to be allowed to use those vehicles, not to use your bike.

If you want to argue, "but I contribute to road costs by paying registration on a/multiple motor vehicle/s", then you have to agree with the argument that registration fees help pay for the roads.

http://www.ptua.org.au/myths/petroltax.shtml

Otherwise I don't understand what this poll is for.

Hi Briztoon, I reckon its to make the self righteous guys who call my car a "smoke box" feel vindicated and to make me want to sell my cars. :D

But If leaving the car at home is a good all around health thing, may be we ought to get a discount for taking the bike and not causing pollution. I read that every bike on the road is a $20-00 saving to the Melbourne city council per day. Of course I can't prove any of that though. :D
outnabike

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:27 am

westab wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:I voted both although technically not correct. Car is a leased tool of the trade vehicle with full private use, and much like LDR does well above average k's. Between this one and the last one I've put 227000 on them in 6 years.

Gee mate - you better not hear some people say that: NOT ONLY YOU DON'T PAY REGO FOR YOUR BIKE YOU DON'T ON YOUR CAR AS WELL - HOW DO YOU LIVE WITH THE SHAME OF IT ALL :D :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh and technically I don't own a car either - it is leased through work and driven mostly by wife. :oops: :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:

GLW has a car as well. We pay the rego on that. As for the car I drive, it still has rego paid for, just not by me :wink:

Me: 1 Haters: 0 :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

In all seriousness though, I would love to bike commute at least some of the time. 65 odd km each way trip working 42 hours with a 1 year old and GLW working full time also means not a chance in hell unfortunately :(
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby barefoot » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:36 am

outnabike wrote:But If leaving the car at home is a good all around health thing, may be we ought to get a discount for taking the bike and not causing pollution.

There's a good idea.

How about we grant all cyclists a 100% discount on their bicycle registration, in recognition of the pollution, congestion, road degradation and lifetime healthcare cost they save by riding instead of driving.

Right then. Case closed. Next argument please.

tim
barefoot

Postby Smithstreet » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:57 am

briztoon wrote:

I would happily pay rego on my bikes granted the following conditions applied:

1. The cost of rego for any vehicles was worked out on the basis of damage caused to roads due to gross weight of vehicle, and pollution emitted (much the the road tax system in the UK).
2. The total take from bike rego was supplemented as per current road funding by the equivalent shortfall difference from general taxation.
3. The take from bike rego + general taxation supplement was used directly to fund bike lane/ path improvements.

[/quote]
You missed one...
4. I would happily pay rego on my bikes if I KNEW it would change the attitude of the cyclist hating 'redneck' that brings the feeble argument up all the time!

And we all know the answer to that.
Smithstreet

Postby rkelsen » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:56 pm

barefoot wrote:My family has a car.

We used to have two cars. But I have no use for a car during the week (bike commute), and we rarely use more than one car on the weekend. So I washed the moss and lichen off the second car (literally - it grew moss and lichen on the window rubbers), and got rid of it.

Same story here, only without the moss and lichen. It did have flat tyres though...

On the rego issue, this is all that needs to be said:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/infrastructure/mcu/urbanpolicy/active_travel/index.aspx

End. Of. Story.
rkelsen

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:34 pm

I guess I technically lied as well. My wife has a car and I drive a variety of company cars so technically (there's that word again) I don't actually own a car.
Some days you are a big, strutting rooster, some days you are a bit chicken and some days you are just a complete cocque. Roger Ramjet: 2009 Giant CRX3 Spockette: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 (WSD, property of Mrs Monsoon) Lady Penelope: 2011 Avanti Cadent 1.0 TdF
gorilla monsoon

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:42 pm

No car for me at the moment as I currently don't have a need for one. Spend the cash saved on rego/ctp/insurance etc on private health care. Trains, buses, shops, restaurants etc are all nearby. Work is only 20 mins away. The local crits is another 20 minute ride. MTB tracks are 10-20 mins away. Bikeways are 10 mins away. Who really needs a car when everything is so close by :)
Lukeyboy

Next

Return to General discussion