Bike rage on Catalyst 26/9/13

Red Rider

Bike rage on Catalyst 26/9/13

Postby Red Rider » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:29 am

Catalyst on ABC1 are doing a story on rage towards cyclists (also stories about Drones and Gonorrhoea!) next Thursday at 8pm:
As more bikes share the road with cars, a new form of road rage is emerging: bike rage. But why is it that drivers have such ire for cyclists? Is it because they think the two-wheelers are always running reds? Or because they perceive that all cyclists are maniacs? Simon Pampena finds out the real statistics on how cyclists behave on the road and consults researchers about psychological theories to unpack this curious hatred.
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3852543.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Should be quite interesting to hear the scientific theories and stats behind it. It'll no doubt generate a wee bit of discussion.

human909

Re: Bike rage on Catalyst 26/9/13

Postby human909 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:01 am

-Out group (just the same as racism)
-Perception that cyclists are doing something insane

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:12 am

All cyclists are red-light-runners and break the law.

After this morning's tally of red-light-running cyclists in Sydney CBD, I don't think I can counter that argument no matter how much I respect the law myself. :(

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:37 am

Seeing cyclists running red lights annoys me as much as seeing pedestrians run red lights. Not at all. :wink:

Also they fact that cyclists are so poorly mistreated by the authorities and motorists isn't going to endear cyclists to obeying the letter of the law. Again, another 'out group' symptom and result.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:55 am

human909 wrote:Seeing cyclists running red lights annoys me as much as seeing pedestrians run red lights. Not at all. :wink:

Also they fact that cyclists are so poorly mistreated by the authorities and motorists isn't going to endear cyclists to obeying the letter of the law. Again, another 'out group' symptom and result.
Hi Human 909 I understand your position, I just imagine my family trying to cross the road safely.
I reckon when a cyclist narrowly misses pedestrians and weaves through them just to run a light, the cyclist is advocating his freedom, but impinging on the freedom of folk to cross safely with out getting hit by a bike.
Of course I know you aren't advocating that situation though. :D
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:21 am

I yell at them when they do that - if I can catch up with them. And when they grumble, I suggest I'm a cyclist too so I'm allowed to be critical.

Because they are making things worse for those of us who do obey the law.

herzog

Postby herzog » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:36 am

g-boaf wrote:I yell at them when they do that - if I can catch up with them. And when they grumble, I suggest I'm a cyclist too so I'm allowed to be critical.

+1

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:09 pm

herzog wrote:
g-boaf wrote:I yell at them when they do that - if I can catch up with them. And when they grumble, I suggest I'm a cyclist too so I'm allowed to be critical.

+1
I can hear someone winding up the key in the back of H909 :)
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

zero

Postby zero » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:16 pm

outnabike wrote:
human909 wrote:Seeing cyclists running red lights annoys me as much as seeing pedestrians run red lights. Not at all. :wink:

Hi Human 909 I understand your position, I just imagine my family trying to cross the road safely.
I reckon when a cyclist narrowly misses pedestrians and weaves through them just to run a light, the cyclist is advocating his freedom, but impinging on the freedom of folk to cross safely with out getting hit by a bike.
What I find remarkable about this whole issue is that at the exact same time on the exact same pedestrian crossing, cars are typically allowed to turn over the exact same pedestrian crossing during the phase where pedestrians are allowed to cross, and routinely fail to give way to pedestrians crossing and unlike cyclists, who have killed 1 person this decade doing this, motorists rack up mulitple fatalities per year failing to give way to pedestrians on these crossings and pedestrians get annoyed when a cyclist doesn't stop, but don't get annoyed when they are forced to jump out of the way of a device that actually is likely to seriously injure or kill them if they don't jump out of the way.

The whole "its more important that cyclists obey the law than it is that car drivers stop killing people" thing is really, really, really beginning to irk me.

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:20 pm

... and yet, interestingly enough, motorists who run red lights somehow don't make it worse for other motorists. Guess what the difference is? Australians are good at picking on minority groups, that's what.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:37 pm

VRE wrote:... and yet, interestingly enough, motorists who run red lights somehow don't make it worse for other motorists. Guess what the difference is? PEOPLE are good at picking on minority groups, that's what.
FTFY!!

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:45 pm

outnabike wrote:Hi Human 909 I understand your position, I just imagine my family trying to cross the road safely.
:D As you say I don't advocate riding dangerously around vulnerable road users. Also I personally don't see much bad behaviour amongst cyclists nor much cyclist and pedestrian conflict. Maybe it is just the media, but it seems to be more common in Sydney. In Melbourne I don't observe much conflict at all. (except for on Swanston St).

That said I, and hundreds of other cyclists daily routinely flout the "letter of the law" by riding through the pedestrian crossing at the southern end of Princess Park Drive. All I ever see is cyclists giving a sensible and wide berth to pedestrians. Ending a bike lane at a pedestrian crossing without bike lanterns is a recipe for innocuous law breaking. :wink:
The 2nd Womble wrote:I can hear someone winding up the key in the back of H909 :)
Play the ball mate.
zero wrote:What I find remarkable about this whole issue is that at the exact same time on the exact same pedestrian crossing, cars are typically allowed to turn over the exact same pedestrian crossing during the phase where pedestrians are allowed to cross, and routinely fail to give way to pedestrians crossing and unlike cyclists, who have killed 1 person this decade doing this, motorists rack up mulitple fatalities per year failing to give way to pedestrians on these crossings and pedestrians get annoyed when a cyclist doesn't stop, but don't get annoyed when they are forced to jump out of the way of a device that actually is likely to seriously injure or kill them if they don't jump out of the way.

The whole "its more important that cyclists obey the law than it is that car drivers stop killing people" thing is really, really, really beginning to irk me.
I discovered that many motorists don't even know they are required to give way to pedestrians when turning at intersections. It came up in conversation and a few people insisted that pedestrians must always give way to cars on the road. :wink: Pedestrian traffic lights? Oh, thats different was the response. :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:54 pm

They don't care. SMIDGAF. I nearly got wiped out by a bus the other night that refused to stop even though he was required to. Never mind I had the light to go.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:07 pm

zero wrote:The whole "its more important that cyclists obey the law than it is that car drivers stop killing people" thing is really, really, really beginning to irk me.
+ 1,000,000.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:48 pm

zero wrote:What I find remarkable about this whole issue is that at the exact same time on the exact same pedestrian crossing, cars are typically allowed to turn over the exact same pedestrian crossing during the phase where pedestrians are allowed to cross, and routinely fail to give way to pedestrians crossing and unlike cyclists, who have killed 1 person this decade doing this, motorists rack up mulitple fatalities per year failing to give way to pedestrians on these crossings and pedestrians get annoyed when a cyclist doesn't stop, but don't get annoyed when they are forced to jump out of the way of a device that actually is likely to seriously injure or kill them if they don't jump out of the way.
Don't worry about the pedestrian crossings, it happens on every major and minor street intersection where turning vehicles are always required to give way to parallel pedestrians. Virtually none ever do, so much so that often when I do stop to give way to a pedestrian they impatiently wave me to go through, despite the fact that I am following my obligations to give way. Every intersecion, pedestrians are deferring to the might of the automobile. But those damn crazy cyclists........... :x

:roll:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:56 pm

rkelsen wrote:
zero wrote:The whole "its more important that cyclists obey the law than it is that car drivers stop killing people" thing is really, really, really beginning to irk me.
+ 1,00insert two more zeros HERE.0,000.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:18 pm

rkelsen wrote:
+ 1,000,000.
I disagreee that cyclists being seen to be riding legally is more important, but it is IMO still important.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:23 pm

I find all this sort of furore so ironic, in view of Australia's alleged "she'll be right mate" philosophy.

Surely, if everybody gets about safely, no-one is unreasonably delayed, and due care is given to others, then it should all be right :?
Mandatory helmet law?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:21 pm

il padrone wrote:I find all this sort of furore so ironic, in view of Australia's alleged "she'll be right mate" philosophy.

Surely, if everybody gets about safely, no-one is unreasonably delayed, and due care is given to others, then it should all be right :?
She'll be right only applies to one's self. Any body else, it's cries of bloody murder.

Rules are king in Oz. We're one of the most rules-obsessed societies in the world. We love applying them ... to other people. I suppose it helps us feel better abut ourselves.

Ironic, considering our society's convict roots.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:45 pm

trailgumby wrote:Ironic, considering our society's convict roots.
Nothing wrong with the convict heritage but the plurry Poms HAD to send the gaolers too. Seems they've outbred the rest :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:28 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Ironic, considering our society's convict roots.
Nothing wrong with the convict heritage but the plurry Poms HAD to send the gaolers too. Seems they've outbred the rest :(
Actually the population quadrupled in only a few years when there was gold to be had...

Cheers,

Cameron

Laidlaym

Postby Laidlaym » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:24 pm

Is this rage related to jealousy? Here I am in my expensive car getting passed and having to give space to and being delayed by someone who is getting some exercise, not paying for fuel or parking. I wish I could get my self motivated enough to do the same thing.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:14 pm

Absolutely, compare any car commercial to the reality of the peak hour trudge.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:33 pm

Yep.The fantasy.....

(looks like such a joyous relief)

...and the reality....

Smell the stress and frustration :P
Mandatory helmet law?

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:21 pm

C'mon, at least use some footage of Australian grid lock. I know some members have footage of themselves passing cars crawling along while they zip by on there bikes.