New bike free service period and costs

open topic, for anything cycling related.

New bike free service period and costs

Postby swaz » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:56 am

On the look out for a new or used 29er MTB at the moment so I have visited a few LBS's and the three I have been to have all said the first service on the new bike is free. Subsequent services are $85-$97 depending on the store. I asked what the service includes and it is basically a gear adjustment and bolt tension. If I want to spoke tension checked or the brakes bleed then I would be looking at $150+

Is this standard? In my mind I had thought the first year of servicing would be free.

A Giant dealer told me that unless I had the bike serviced at a Giant dealer it would be very difficult to claim warranty on the frame should it crack or fail in the future.
swaz
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:41 pm

by BNA » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:31 am

BNA
 

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby human909 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:31 am

swaz wrote:In my mind I had thought the first year of servicing would be free.

Very few stores do that.

swaz wrote:A Giant dealer told me that unless I had the bike serviced at a Giant dealer it would be very difficult to claim warranty on the frame should it crack or fail in the future.

That is complete BS.
human909
 
Posts: 4834
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby bychosis » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:53 am

One local here does lifetime free servicing, but it's just a basic service, gear tune and check. If any real work needs doing its time to cough up.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby gdt » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:14 am

You should expect: about 30m spent when you pick up the bike adjusting it to fit you, also 10m training in clipless pedals if you are new to those, a 'free service' some weeks later to correct for the stretch in new cables and make sure the bike has no warranty issues, a discount on accessories purchased at the same time as the bike, information about insurances, cycling associations, cycling clubs, shop ride, etc.

A 'years free service' isn't typical and would be a rare sales promotion.
gdt
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:36 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:35 am

swaz wrote:In my mind I had thought the first year of servicing would be free.

Haha. You don't even get a free service with a new car anymore. :roll:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5334
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:51 am

swaz wrote:On the look out for a new or used 29er MTB at the moment so I have visited a few LBS's and the three I have been to have all said the first service on the new bike is free. Subsequent services are $85-$97 depending on the store. I asked what the service includes and it is basically a gear adjustment and bolt tension. If I want to spoke tension checked or the brakes bleed then I would be looking at $150+

Is this standard? In my mind I had thought the first year of servicing would be free.

Standard.... very much standard. I've never heard of any shop offering a year's free servicing.

swaz wrote:A Giant dealer told me that unless I had the bike serviced at a Giant dealer it would be very difficult to claim warranty on the frame should it crack or fail in the future.

I would make very certain NOT to buy from that LBS. They are quite obviously looking to minimize their liabilities by dodging their basic (and legal) obligations under consumer law,
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18372
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby nezumi » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:05 am

I know of at least two stores in Melbourne who give a years free servicing in terms of cables etc.
Peak Cycles in Heidelberg
Brunswick Bikes (and possibly their affiliate, St Kilda Bikes)
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Heidelberg, Melbourne

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:26 am

nezumi wrote:I know of at least two stores in Melbourne who give a years free servicing in terms of cables etc.
Peak Cycles in Heidelberg
Brunswick Bikes (and possibly their affiliate, St Kilda Bikes)

You should be very careful to understand precisely what is being offered for "free". Not just bike shops, but many service industries make such offers as a way of finding chargeable work. So whilst they may provide some very minor service at no charge (such as a free inspection), any actual work done will be at your expense.

For that matter, anytime you take a bike in for a "service", free or otherwise, you need to understand precisely what that service includes. We've seen plenty of threads here complaining when assumptions have been made about what is actually covered.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5334
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:42 am

nezumi wrote:I know of at least two stores in Melbourne who give a years free servicing in terms of cables etc.

How many cables do you go through in a year ?

I'd value their offer at about $1.50 :roll:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18372
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby nezumi » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:52 am

RonK wrote:You should be very careful to understand precisely what is being offered for "free". Not just bike shops, but many service industries make such offers as a way of finding chargeable work. So whilst they may provide some very minor service at no charge (such as a free inspection), any actual work done will be at your expense.

For that matter, anytime you take a bike in for a "service", free or otherwise, you need to understand precisely what that service includes. We've seen plenty of threads here complaining when assumptions have been made about what is actually covered.


I didn't end up buying a bike from either shop, and I am aware of the potential for finding other things that need fixing while conducting a free service.

If I were to buy from either I would be clear on what constitutes a service - my understanding from general enquiries is that it is checking cable tensions etc - clean and eas shifting, safe braking.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Heidelberg, Melbourne

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:05 am

My advice - learn how to do all that yourself, you'll be a far more competent cyclist as a result.

The free service really is for the numpty buyer. Really basic stuff mostly.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18372
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby swaz » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:15 pm

il padrone wrote:My advice - learn how to do all that yourself, you'll be a far more competent cyclist as a result.

The free service really is for the numpty buyer. Really basic stuff mostly.


I used to work as a bike mechanic whilst I was at uni so I am confident I can do the basics very well and I can learn how to do brake bleeds etc. I do them on my cars and they don't seem that dissimilar.
Was interested in what the wider cycling community thought. This bike shop in particular has given me less than ok service in the past so I will be giving them a miss for a new bike. I just found it odd that somehow bike shops are charging as much if not more per hour than a qualified motor mechanic. It doesn't take an hour to do the once over a bike and adjust the gears.
swaz
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby RonK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:50 pm

swaz wrote:I just found it odd that somehow bike shops are charging as much if not more per hour than a qualified motor mechanic.

I doubt that - I recently had the first service done on my VW. Cost was $500.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5334
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby briztoon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:26 am

swaz wrote:I used to work as a bike mechanic whilst I was at uni so I am confident I can do the basics very well and I can learn how to do brake bleeds etc. I do them on my cars and they don't seem that dissimilar.


Excuse my ignorance, but what type of brakes need to bled on a bike?

Here's a link to my LBS services and charges. At least they tell you what you get at each price point. I would imagine most LBS will have something similar on their web sites.

http://www.bicycleriders.com.au/wp-cont ... etable.pdf
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby briztoon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:26 am

:oops: DP
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:46 am

briztoon wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but what type of brakes need to bled on a bike?


Hydraulic disk brakes.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20140
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby briztoon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:58 am

I've seen disc brakes, but not hydraulic disc brakes. Do they make the bike much heavier? I don't normally look at mountain bikes, apart from walking past them and thinking, "that's a beast, think can I do without throwing myself down hill trying to dodge trees and rocks."
Last edited by briztoon on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:04 am

Magura has offered hydraulic rim brakes for quite a few years.

Sram introduced hydraulic road brakes this year and Shimano will follow by the end of the year.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5334
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby il padrone » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:17 am

briztoon wrote:I've seen disc brakes, but not hydraulic disc brakes. Do they make the bike much heavier?

Mountainbikes have been using hydraulic brakes as standard kit for the past 13-14 years. Any minor weight increase is more than made up for in the braking improvements.

There are now some kits coming out to use hydraulics for road/cyclocross bikes.

TRP parabox uses cabes from the brake levers to convert to hydraulics. Shimano has a hydraulic brake coming out that works with their Di2 levers.

Image


I do wonder about the value of these for road bikes though. Most serious road racers don't really use their brakes all that much. They certainly don't get the useage that downhill MTB racers would put them through. I'd reckon the greatest market for these brakes may well be the classsic road touring rider, who is often descending mountain roads at speed with a heavy load of gear.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18372
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:50 pm

Pretty sure my LBS (Graceville) offer 12 months free servicing. I bought an ex demo bike from them 8 months ago and it's been in a couple of times for little things (noises I couldn't trace). Haven't paid them any labour for that. I did need new BB bearings a while back after riding in heaps of wet weather. I paid for the bearings but they didn't charge me labour to fit them...
Image

Just Riding Along
User avatar
GeoffInBrisbane
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:31 pm

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby Dragster1 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:23 pm

human909 wrote:
swaz wrote:A Giant dealer told me that unless I had the bike serviced at a Giant dealer it would be very difficult to claim warranty on the frame should it crack or fail in the future.

That is complete BS.
Yes it is BS its against the trade practice act to even say this but might also add they have to follow Giants servicing scheldule
User avatar
Dragster1
 
Posts: 982
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:46 pm
Location: Eluding motorist in Brisbane

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:41 pm

il padrone wrote:My advice - learn how to do all that yourself, you'll be a far more competent cyclist as a result.

The free service really is for the numpty buyer. Really basic stuff mostly.


You sound like one of those old MG codgers who have time to burn so reckon rethreading spark plugs and polishing dipsticks should be a national pastime.
The thing is, there are a lot of bicycle oweners who have neither the time nor inclination to service their bikes and don't get (as I don't) why being able to do so will make you a more competent cyclist.

I work on my cars and bikes but I am no better a rider or driver than anyone else.

As for free servicing, it means that bikes go in a couple of times a year to be checked-over if nothing else and that's a good thing. Civic Bikes in Newcastle gives free servicing for the life of the bike (with the original owner) if it is taken-in on a regular basis.

Good for the owners of the shop for ongoing sales, certainly but also good for owners who neither know nor care about the finer points of maintenance.
Some days you are a big, strutting rooster, some days you are a bit chicken and some days you are just a complete cocque. Roger Ramjet: 2009 Giant CRX3 Spockette: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 (WSD, property of Mrs Monsoon) Lady Penelope: 2011 Avanti Cadent 1.0 TdF
User avatar
gorilla monsoon
 
Posts: 2870
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 am
Location: Central Coast/Lake Macquarie

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby il padrone » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:13 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:You sound like one of those old MG codgers who have time to burn so reckon rethreading spark plugs and polishing dipsticks should be a national pastime.

Bejeebus!! Youfataday! Hopeless.... :P

Since when were fitting/tensioning a gear cable, tweaking derailleur limit screws, or adjusting brake pads prime examples of codgerism?? Not at all equivalent to motor-heads :roll:

As a parallel I actually do virtually no DIY work on the car.

gorilla monsoon wrote:don't get (as I don't) why being able to do so will make you a more competent cyclist.

I work on my cars and bikes but I am no better a rider or driver than anyone else.

Doesn't affect the actual riding, just your self-sufficiency. Simply a little bit of understanding of the condition and basic repair of your bike helps you when you've got a mechanical problem out in the bush, and helps to prevent them happening. With the car I can rely on RACV to get help to me. Currently there is no meaningful roadside service for cyclists (and I doubt there ever will be).

gorilla monsoon wrote:Good for the owners of the shop for ongoing sales, certainly but also good for owners who neither know nor care about the finer points of maintenance.

Like I said, good for the numpty bike owners; GREAT marketing strategy for the bike shop..... a captive market! I don't partake of that ideal however.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18372
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby OnTrackZeD » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:21 am

il padrone wrote:My advice - learn how to do all that yourself,



That's good advice.

A free service is all well and good, if you're new to biking, but the 5 or 10 minutes it's going to take you to adjust gears or 2 minutes to adjust a brake. It will take this long walking into your LBS and telling them what you need doing, let alone loading up the bike and driving there and if you need to leave it and return later, well personally I have no time for that.

Two days ago my rear derailleur needed low end adjusting and it took 1 minute to rise the bike, 2 minutes to remember which way to turn the limit screw since it's being over a year that I've done it and a minute to make the adjustment. Even if it was free at my LBS it would of been counter productive to get them to make the adjustment.
User avatar
OnTrackZeD
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby human909 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:50 am

il padrone wrote:I do wonder about the value of these for road bikes though. Most serious road racers don't really use their brakes all that much. They certainly don't get the useage that downhill MTB racers would put them through. I'd reckon the greatest market for these brakes may well be the classsic road touring rider, who is often descending mountain roads at speed with a heavy load of gear.


I agree. But I think DI2 has proven that there is no end to the technology that roadies will lap up in the chase for marginal improvements even if they aren't needed.
human909
 
Posts: 4834
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Next

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jesmol, Lukeyboy, pauls51, reefer, rodneycc



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit