New bike free service period and costs

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: New bike free service period and costs

Postby RRalphy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:38 pm

I agree with learning to do it yourself, well the basic things anyway. after sending my roadie into the shop to get the gears/brakes tuned 2-3 times and shelling out around $80 each time I decided f&%$ this and got on youtube and quickly learnt to do it myself.
Still not game to replace my bottom bracket though and sadly I think its time to do so...
RRalphy

by BNA » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:50 pm

BNA

Postby rangersac » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:50 pm

Bottom brackets are intimidating to think about initially, but the threaded ones are in reality a cinch with a few appropriate tools. Depending on the press fit type these can be a bit more challenging.
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Claud Butler Sovereign
rangersac

Postby swaz » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:22 pm

As an aside. I went into a different bike shop today that many friends have recommended and checked out what they had, had a test ride etc. I asked about their first service and it is a little different to the others in that they do a complete service of the bike.Spoke tensions are checked and adjusted if needed, including if the wheel is not running true. Bolts around the cockpit are removed, greased or Loctited back in place or checked for tension.
This is a lot more than the other bike shops I have been to do. I will have to start reading up about fork servicing, I hear it is expensive!
swaz

Postby Dragster1 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:15 am

I have only bought one bike new , years ago and took it back for the first free service, They retensioned the wheels spokes, checked bolts for looseness and gave the gears a tuneup. A good job was done and the bike was built very well and to last for many years from then on I done all the servicing myself until the bike got stolen many years later. I have since bought 3 secondhand bikes one of which was from a triathlete and was service by a lbs regularly and was in terrible nick on the inside. They decided to degrease the bike all the degreaser ended up in the cables and ruining them and bearings in the wheels were serviced all right but they had the smallest amount of grease on them that you could hardly even see. Know something about the mechanicals of bikes is like having gold, I have pulled over on the side of the road to find some roadies cant even change a tube. One guy in his forties put two tubes in and pinched both
Last edited by Dragster1 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragster1

Postby jamesn184 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:40 pm

The only thing I can't do is true my wheels and service the free hub and for a wheel true there is only $25.. got stuck yesterday in Port melb and took the bike to TFM and got wacked $35 for a true when I popped a nipple on the front wheel @_@
jamesn184

Previous

Return to General discussion