Australian Cyclists Party Launched!

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Australian Cyclists Party Launched!

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:24 am

Big news for Cycling Advocacy in Australia - a political party has launched to get Cycling Issues on the agenda.
The first steps is to get 750 registered (NSW) members for to take in the New South Wales state election in March 2015 and 500 registered Victorian members for the Victorian Elections.

Australian politics is dominated by two political parties but the minor parties are important to provide direction and they impact the popular and middleground views. They are now inviting people to join as party members: http://www.australian-cyclists-party.org/

--
Please note Bicycles Network Australia remains independent and respects each individuals political preference. This means discussion is fine in the context of this announcement however please be aware that this thread should not become a session of parliament.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

by BNA » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:55 am

BNA

Re: Austalian Cyclists Party Launched!

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:55 am

Hmmm... Organised by who? I know Omar is involved.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:50 am

Great idea and all but there is no information on their website as to specific policies, and there is no way I would sign up without knowing that first.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby trailgumby » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:49 am

You can resign later if their policies are not to your liking. It's not for life ... like a bikie gang.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:44 am

Joined.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:45 am

On policies, it is really early days and first step is to get member numbers to be able to take part. It also means that the roles such as leadership are not settled and require members to agree and also agree on the party constitution.

Omar is involved as well as a group of individuals who have been active in promoting cycling issues - however I am not certain of each persons role or capacity at this stage so will let them announce thisl themselves.

For readers in Melbourne, the Australian Cycling Party have their first engagement this weekend at Ausbike in Melbourne. They have a stand there so will be chatting with visitors to the show.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:58 am

I can't see it taking off in Qld but but I'd love to he proven completely and utterly wrong.

The 2nd Womble

Postby Aushiker » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:29 am

ldrcycles wrote:Great idea and all but there is no information on their website as to specific policies, and there is no way I would sign up without knowing that first.

Agree. There should be details at least about the people behind this ... being secretive from the start just smacks of treating everyone with contempt. It is not that hard to put up brief bios of the organising committee members. Why are the hiding?

Clearly haven't learnt anything from the current or pass parties or what has happened in the past few days and weeks it seems. Also if they think they are going emulate the micro parties successes of late, I suspect they will be disappointed.

Also it seems one must join ... cannot even get on the mailing list without joining :(

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:36 am

The Australian Sports Party, the Australian Sex Party, and the Australian Motoring Enthusiasts Party are all minor parties with potentially major sector support.

Am Australian Cyclists Party is a minor party with very much minor support. I just cannot see it getting enough votes to get in. And then there is all the insane impications of such loopy minors and their potential actions (witness the coalition around Clive Palmer FFS :roll:)
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:37 am

Aushiker wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:Great idea and all but there is no information on their website as to specific policies, and there is no way I would sign up without knowing that first.

Agree. There should be details at least about the people behind this ... being secretive from the start just smacks of treating everyone with contempt. It is not that hard to put up brief bios of the organising committee members. Why are the hiding?

Clearly haven't learnt anything from the current or pass parties or what has happened in the past few days and weeks it seems. Also if they think they are going emulate the micro parties successes of late, I suspect that will not happen again.

Also it seems one must join ... cannot even get on the mailing list without joining :(

Andrew

I do agree that this does seem half arsed now that I've read your post Aus.
It was only Wednesday that Omar was supposedly only kickng the idea around on Sydney Cyclist, and now hey presto.
There's been no apparent consultatiin with anyone and yes, to onlookers it seems very secretive. Is this a move by BNSW/BNV? It seems like the next logical strp for a state org, and If so they can crawl back into their hole right now. Where's me shovel?

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:48 am

I just joined up. Let's see where this goes.

The 2nd Womble

Postby Aushiker » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:06 pm

Shouldn't there also be a privacy policy on the website?

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:07 pm

I also just emailed them.
"At the outset I would like to tentatively raise my hand for consideration should Queensland require Party candidates.
I am awaiting further progress before fully committing, but given my ccommitment to Queensland's and Australia's cycling community I am hopeful of taking out a premium membership once I have a full understanding of what the Australian Cyclists Party is committed to achieving. I wish everyone the very best of luck."

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:09 pm

:mrgreen:
Aushiker wrote:Shouldn't there also be a privacy policy on the website?

Andrew

I can take a look at my previous political party's in's and out's to look more closely at how the establishment recruits it's membership later today if someone here doesn't beat me to it.

The 2nd Womble

Postby find_bruce » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:26 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Is this a move by BNSW/BNV? It seems like the next logical strp for a state org, and If so they can crawl back into their hole right now. Where's me shovel?

I asked a BNSW spokesmuppet for comment & he said "wha, mumble grumble", rolled over & went back to sleep.

If this looks anything like action, I think we can safely assume that illustrious organisation has nothing to do with it.
find_bruce

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Not gonna ask the obvious question Bruce... :wink:

More looking into this before an informed decision can be made methinks.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:39 pm

find_bruce wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:Is this a move by BNSW/BNV? It seems like the next logical strp for a state org, and If so they can crawl back into their hole right now. Where's me shovel?

I asked a BNSW spokesmuppet for comment & he said "wha, mumble grumble", rolled over & went back to sleep.

If this looks anything like action, I think we can safely assume that illustrious organisation has nothing to do with it.

I'm going to ask the obvious question Bruce you harlot. What were you thinking not making him breakfast first?

The 2nd Womble

Postby winstonw » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:09 pm

I wonder how the party expects to influence issues at LGA level.
winstonw

Postby find_bruce » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:20 pm

Eeeewwww. Just eeewww. I felt dirty enough just typing the made-up quote. Was about to say I am off for a stiff drink but you mongrels will probably misinterpret that as well :shock:
find_bruce

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:40 pm

*giggle[*]

The 2nd Womble

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:19 pm

I am assuming more information is to come soon.

Perhaps using the word LAUNCHED had some people, judging by discussion, feeling that everything is finalised and set in stone - perhaps it is better viewed as being the first step on the road to formalisation.

While not intending to push a political objective, most of us here are cyclists and this party intends to operate in our favour so worth considering what type of reception they are given.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:35 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:*giggle[*]

+Lots :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby nezumi » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:14 pm

This can't have been *too* quickly put together, as they have a stand at Ausbike (that said, i have no idea how much lead time Ausbike require).
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby sogood » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:39 pm

A good spot on the ballot paper and a good preference deal are all that's needed! :)

Otherwise I agree that there need to be some faces. It's not reasonable to expect people to submit a signed form to a web site.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby find_bruce » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:23 am

More in todays SMH Australian Cyclists Party plans Senate bids in Victoria, NSW

Here is a teaser
The fledgling party intends to register for the state elections in Victoria next November, and in NSW in 2015, and is signing up members via its website, IcycleIvote.com.

Party policies would be determined by members, but Mr Khalifa expected every aspect of cycling would be incorporated.

“We're trying to seek broad-based support for cycling in all its forms – whether it's recreational, it's commuting, it's mountain biking, it's for tourist cycling,” he said. “But we think … that if we accommodate cyclists, it actually affects a lot of things around it. It talks to the liveability of cities and the transport issues many of them have.”
find_bruce

Next

Return to General discussion