First crash

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: First crash

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:29 pm

richbee wrote:There are two types of cyclist,
those who have yet to fall

And those who have yet to fall again

Don't say that!! :shock: :lol: :shock: Might jinx me. :shock:

Paul B wrote:Continental ultra race. Both times the road was wet and I was cornering... so I blame me... not the tyres.

Don't blame yourself - wet conditions can be tricky. I'm ultra cautious in the wet. But I don't think you can ever be too cautious. Painted lines freak me out.

I tend to agree with some of the people above, I love the GP4000s I have. Lovely tyres. I hope you mend quickly and the bike isn't too bad.
g-boaf

by BNA » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:08 am

BNA

Postby rangersac » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:08 am

Vittoria Rubino Pros here, and I've had no dramas in the wet. I do back off the tyre pressure when the rains come though, I tend to run around 80/90 F/R for that extra bit of traction.
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Gemini Steelie
rangersac

Postby Paul B » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:04 pm

Based on the advice here I am going to reduce my tyre pressure. Got bike back from LBS... $68.00 and running like new :-)
Paul B

Postby biker jk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:31 pm

Paul B wrote:Based on the advice here I am going to reduce my tyre pressure. Got bike back from LBS... $68.00 and running like new :-)

Good idea. Perhaps reduce your speed taking wet corners to below almost 50kmh?
biker jk

Postby Paul B » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:28 pm

biker jk wrote:. Perhaps reduce your speed taking wet corners to below almost 50kmh?

Yea... well I had just done 60km, some distance in the rain and on wet roads. I guess I let my guard down and I was near home, the road at this point looked pretty dry and it is a bend I know and usually go around quicker than that. I made a mental decision to take it easy but for some reason that translated to 48kmh. Idiot.
Paul B

Postby rodneycc » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:51 pm

Chalk another victim to the conti ultra race. Do yourself a molly meldrum and replace them

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk
--
2012 Giant Defy Composite 1
2013 Giant Talon 0 29er
2013 Flight Podium 1
2013/14 Bianchi Infinito CV
rodneycc

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:12 pm

Paul B wrote:
biker jk wrote:. Perhaps reduce your speed taking wet corners to below almost 50kmh?

Yea... well I had just done 60km, some distance in the rain and on wet roads. I guess I let my guard down and I was near home, the road at this point looked pretty dry and it is a bend I know and usually go around quicker than that. I made a mental decision to take it easy but for some reason that translated to 48kmh. Idiot.

Well, that IS interesting. Being within 5km of home is apparently a major risk factor for bike crashes, and I think you put your finger on why: letting your guard down.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby Paul B » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:14 pm

Paul B

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:20 am

trailgumby wrote:I love my Conti GP4000s Black Chillis

I ride the same in 25's being a clydesdale. They also match the colours of some of your bruises Paul B. Ouch.... :shock:
Speedy recovery.
Wakatuki

Postby Xplora » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:03 am

trailgumby wrote:letting your guard down.

Arguable that all accidents that aren't caused by mechanical failure are caused by this or lack of experience. Sadly, cornering isn't something you can really practice easily at the limits of traction much. I was crawling around a corner durin a race recently, others charging past. Just too fast to find out the hard way, no thanks. :lol:
Xplora

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:15 am

I can't believe how rude some people here are. Let me just say "Welcome to the club!" :lol: :lol:

rangersac wrote:Vittoria Rubino Pros here, and I've had no dramas in the wet. I do back off the tyre pressure when the rains come though, I tend to run around 80/90 F/R for that extra bit of traction.

I'm personally not a fan of those. And yes I have used them before and yes I have slid along the pavement doing 30kph+ with a set of them on the front :P
Lukeyboy

Postby petie » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:26 pm

Paul B wrote:Image

Nice wound, but you need to upgrade your jeans...;)

Bugger about the crashes, as others have said maybe try lower tyre pressures?
petie

Previous

Return to General discussion