Bike Lights

kenwstr

Re: Bike Lights

Postby kenwstr » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:27 pm

softy wrote:
kenwstr wrote:Well I don't think the answer is more lumens. I have noticed while fishing at night, I can often navigate around the dams with no lights on. Ambient moonlight, starlight or that reflected from cloud is usually (except for complete darkness) sufficient to recognize all the terrain and obstacles around me and see the water edge. It is surprising how little light is actually needed once you are accustomed to it but with a light I am completely blind to everything outside the torch beam. There is a similar effect on the bike. My current light has a focusing ability so I can set it anywhere between a wide angle or a pencil thin spot. On the spot setting, I can usually see the path and road edges outside the beam from residual ambient light as the intensity of the spot beam at distance is not overwhelming but sufficient for adequate visibility though not wide enough. On the wide angle setting, the intensity of light returned from the road immediately in front of the bike blinds me to everything I need to see at distance even though the output intensity is even across the whole beam. The light is however bright enough to be a problem for other road users. So I think the issue here is light dispersion rather than intensity. What is needed is to focus most of the light out to a wide flat beam at distance while gradually reducing the amount of light put down to the road nearer the bike. The aim is to have an even intensity of light returned from the road surface to the rider regardless of distance within a reasonable range. This is not the same as an even intensity returned from say a wall. But one of the most crucial points is stray light, that is light dispersed above the horizontal plane of the light source. This is wasted light of little use to the cyclist and extremely annoying to other road users. Light dispersion needs to be controlled so that stray light is only sufficient for visibility to other road users and no more than this. Intense stray light blinds us in fog and targets motorists attention causing them to veer toward us which is a documented prominent factor in some cycling accidents.

Regards,
Ken
I seriously had to read this post twice.....

What has fishing got to do with cycling? Ken, can you please open my mind here.

As far as I'm aware you are required to have a light capable of being seen from 200metres (this is a minimum requirement) after a storm or during a windy stormy night you need to see debris such as branches twigs floods etc. Please don't tell me a fishing flashlight is apropiate. Travelling between 20 and 30 klicks with wet brake surfaces, lower lumen lights just don't cut it.

Also you want to be able to be seen in traffic at night. If your lights are significantly lower than motor vehicles you disappear into the background of all the vehicles lights.
As cyclists we need to deal with headlights of cars, as long as our headlights are not brighter, what is the difference?

The fishing analogy is just a way to explain the roll that light intensity contrast has to play in what you can and can't see. In very low light conditions, I can see quite well provided that light is distributed fairly evenly. I can for example locate my position in the terrain and navigate by that however, turn on a torch and I'm blind to everything outside that beam and therefore loose my position because I can't see enough of what's around me. The point is you don't actually need a whole lot of light to see where your are and what's going on around you but strong contrast will mess this up.

A similar thing happens while cycling because light intensity immediately in front of the bike is so great, my irises closes down to the extent I can no longer see to a sufficient distance ahead. This is not a question of lumens, it is a question of how the lumens you have are focused and dispersed at varying distances from the bike. You don't need a lot of lumens to be seen from 200m but if you go too bright, drivers will become targeted on your light. I for one wish to avoid being killed this way. The problem is most bike lights are designed as a torch, not as vehicular head lights; there is a fundamental difference in the light dispersion pattern. Stray light is a big issue for other road users and in fog. Badly designed lights waste 50% of the light as stray light going up into the air, this will just light up fog so it's impossible to see properly ahead. Well designed lights put all the light down on the road and do not light up as much fog so it's easier to see through it. If that was done, you would't need thousands of lumens. It would be far better if the manufacturers designed bicycle lights properly. Focusing the light into a broad flat beam, greatly increasing intensity toward the top cut off line of the beam. This would return light more evenly at all distances maintaining better visibility through the entire range with less energy output. The advantages of doing so include better visibility, less danger from targeting, longer battery life, fewer high beaming incidents. Regarding light dispersion, there are a few better designed lights around but very few that I have found.

There are sites on the web discussing attention targeting, it's a real thing where bright lights on bicycles have resulted in fatalities Google it if your interested.

Ken
Last edited by kenwstr on Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:05 pm

Tl:dr... Just buy a Philips Saferide.

justalf

Postby justalf » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:10 pm

Ross wrote:How about 12,000Lm/! :shock: :roll:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Trustfire-12 ... 3a8d640682" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Two of these strapped together might be a good start, but I really want to be seen.
Yep, I have some bike.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:45 pm

justalf wrote:
Ross wrote:How about 12,000Lm/! :shock: :roll:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Trustfire-12 ... 3a8d640682" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Two of these strapped together might be a good start, but I really want to be seen.
Surely something like that needs a bull bar and lift kit to carry it off...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:19 pm

I could see this lasting 10 minutes per charge lol.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:47 pm

find_bruce wrote:I can't imagine why Marnie was confused - 29 replies with at least 30 different opinions :D

Have you been able to figure out what features etc are important to you yet Marnie ?
Well, except for the nine posters who recommended a Supernova Airstream. Yes, I own one.
You have officially become your parents.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:38 pm

MattyK wrote:Tl:dr... Just buy a Philips Saferide.
Ta MattyK, The Saferide looks rather good to me.
There is an 80 lux version as well, about $200 is the cheapest I found for that.

While obviously not as good, the new version of This one appears to do a pretty fair job with the dispersion for the money though I haven't seen it in the flesh yet.

Ken

softy

Postby softy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:46 pm

kenwstr wrote:
There is an 80 lux version as well, about $200 is the cheapest I found for that.

While obviously not as good, the new version of This one appears to do a pretty fair job with the dispersion for the money though I haven't seen it in the flesh yet.

Ken
Maybe I'm getting my wires crossed, but isn't the phillips a germany approved light that has a special beam shaped lens which dips the light apropiately?
The "This"link is a chinese cheapy?

So how are these alike? :?

Jalit

Postby Jalit » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:09 pm

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here already but check out the "Fly6". It is a successful kickstarter project which combines a tail light and a camera.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:14 am

kenwstr wrote:

Ken
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/phil ... aid:642260" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:55 am

I have those super bright unusable in a civil manner lights. Cree million lumens torch spread rubbish, I found this in Amazon http://amzn.com/B004WLCLQY do you think they will work as described, they certainly read up well.
Side note: I have to say I wish we would adapt some German style light etiquette and some proper rules. This morning at 5am I felt sorry for anyone coming towards us it was pathetic, WW2 spotlight design lights all facing forwards. With my retina burners I have taped the top of the lens up and they are aimed to the road. Oh and if you ride in a bunch please switch your flaming rear lights to steady. Hold a wheel, I would if I could flipping see it. Rant over!!! :shock: :D

paule11

Postby paule11 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:26 pm

Got this light as it is more flood than throw and does not have a defined hotspot. http://www.lightmalls.com/2xcree-xm-l2- ... attery-set" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It has low, medium, high and flash it can be set up through 10 different levels for those settings . I have set up the flash for the 4th level, low is now the 2nd level . If there are cars around the highest level is too bright for the road . I compared the light output on high to my wifes Falcon on low beam the bike light is brighter than the car and overpowers the cars low beam.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:25 pm

softy wrote:
kenwstr wrote:

Ken
Maybe I'm getting my wires crossed, but isn't the phillips a germany approved light that has a special beam shaped lens which dips the light apropiately?
The "This"link is a chinese cheapy?

So how are these alike? :?
They are only alike in the fact they both make an attempt at controlling the light dispersion (which is the whole point I have been making all along). The more expensive one does a better job of it as might be expected. I never pretended they are equals, only suggested the cheaper option as some people will be unwilling to pay $200+ for a bicycle light.

Sigh,
Ken

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:22 pm

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 79&alt=web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keen to add one of these to the collection for a helmet light to go with my Gemini Duo.

simonr23

Postby simonr23 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:39 am

Are the Phillips saferide lights still the best/only option for controlled beam headlights?

warthog1

Bike Lights

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:47 am

Still the best effective beam pattern afaik but discontinued. Trelock and supernova are 2 others that are pretty good I believe.
That is for battery powered lights.

Blame tapatalk
Last edited by warthog1 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:03 pm

.....and B&M IQ Cyo, Luxos B, or Luxos U. Also Schmidt Edelux II.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:24 pm

il padrone wrote:.....and B&M IQ Cyo, Luxos B, or Luxos U. Also Schmidt Edelux II.

I know they are designed to focus the beam down onto the road but I would like a little bit of light at head height.

softy

Postby softy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:21 pm

Wakatuki wrote:I have those super bright unusable in a civil manner lights. Cree million lumens torch spread rubbish, I found this in Amazon http://amzn.com/B004WLCLQY do you think they will work as described, they certainly read up well.
Side note: I have to say I wish we would adapt some German style light etiquette and some proper rules. This morning at 5am I felt sorry for anyone coming towards us it was pathetic, WW2 spotlight design lights all facing forwards. With my retina burners I have taped the top of the lens up and they are aimed to the road. Oh and if you ride in a bunch please switch your flaming rear lights to steady. Hold a wheel, I would if I could flipping see it. Rant over!!! :shock: :D
I have the chinese cheapies 2000 lumens 55 bucks!
Yep they are cheap, but give a whiter light than the moon lights, which almost all of them leak water! Chinese cheapies and good in full on wet!

If you mount your cheapies upside down under the handlebar, you can just rotate your hand over the light when cyclists came the other way. Like dippping your headlight. Because they are underneath, the light is shaded from the top and can be controlled.

Try it it works perfectly.