Xmas gift ideas

marnie&matt

Xmas gift ideas

Postby marnie&matt » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:16 pm

So it's almost the HOHOHO season and I'm thinking about putting some bike gifts under the tree. My first thought was some bike lights. My second thought was a, 'how to' or '101' handbook on bike maintenance, plus a tool kit of some description.

Suggestions? Something funny would be good. My bike maintenance book might not be received with all smiles. Although I think it's humorous. :lol:

Cheers
Marnie

MattyK

Re: Xmas gift ideas

Postby MattyK » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:49 pm

Who for? (Matt presumably, but what is he in to?)

Maybe one of the books by bikesnobNYC, or Just Ride by Grant Petersen (sp?) of Rivbike if we're talking about a non-competitive cyclist.

marnie&matt

Postby marnie&matt » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:46 pm

MattyK wrote:Who for? (Matt presumably, but what is he in to?)

Maybe one of the books by bikesnobNYC, or Just Ride by Grant Petersen (sp?) of Rivbike if we're talking about a non-competitive cyclist.
Matt is into MTBing. Having just taken it back up, any and all suggestions could be great gift ideas.

As I'm not much of a shopper or browser I run the risk of buying something useless just because the sales person says it would make a great gift. So if you or any reader on here had one thing they would like under the tree, what would it be? Please don't say a new bike…….. I will subscribe to the N + 1 factor, but not this year. 8)

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:56 pm

If you're not sure, and/or he hasn't said "hey honey, I'd love a ...(insert specific item here)" then maybe get him a gift voucher to one of the lovely site sponsors at the right of the page, and let him choose.

My wife for example would be extremely unlikely to pick out the exact set of (say) pedals that I'd want (how romantic!), but the free rein for me to buy them would be awesome :)

marnie&matt

Postby marnie&matt » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:12 pm

MattyK wrote:If you're not sure, and/or he hasn't said "hey honey, I'd love a ...(insert specific item here)" then maybe get him a gift voucher to one of the lovely site sponsors at the right of the page, and let him choose.

My wife for example would be extremely unlikely to pick out the exact set of (say) pedals that I'd want (how romantic!), but the free rein for me to buy them would be awesome :)
Just quietly I know he would be stoked with a Garmin GPS, but considering he doesn't have one for his motorbike yet it gets a little tricky. Back to the drawing board. A voucher might be good but I like to think that I could surprise. *Perhaps a can of chain lube :shock: kikiki

william

Postby william » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:44 pm

I always find that buying your own gift is best. Mine is a new bike.

GreyhoundCycle

Postby GreyhoundCycle » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:06 pm

Has he got an action camera? Very hot item lately.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:22 pm

marnie&matt wrote:

Matt is into MTBing. Having just taken it back up, any and all suggestions could be great gift ideas.
Buy him a road bike.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:38 pm

djw47 wrote:
marnie&matt wrote:

Buy him a road bike.
A Fixed road bike :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

marnie&matt

Postby marnie&matt » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Would you all believe us cycling all started with me wanting to buy him a road bike so he can cycle with a group any day that suits him. He pushed to buy us both a lesser model mountain bike and do it together. Yay for him as I have found a passion for simple pleasures and being active rather.

djw47 & Mulgar Bill - I know he is already thinking of N + 1 ….. and in the 2000 - 3500 range. He has only had this one 5 months. It's an addiction I can see that.

Greyhound cycle. Great suggestion. He currently has a go pro but I have thought about a front and rear camera - less expensive ones for safety when on the roads. Deadly practical.

But I now am thinking perhaps it should be "buy yourself a gift honey".

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:32 pm

marnie&matt wrote: He pushed to buy us both a lesser model mountain bike and do it together. Yay for him as I have found a passion for simple pleasures and being active rather.
awesome - money can't buy time together
what about buy him a ticket to a cycling event next year?. i.e. give him a challenge to aim for?

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:47 pm

marnie&matt wrote: Greyhound cycle. Great suggestion. He currently has a go pro but I have thought about a front and rear camera - less expensive ones for safety when on the roads. Deadly practical.
If you have a look at the GoPro video-of-the-week, it's pretty clear you can never have enough GoPro camera's and associated mounting accessories.

Not sure though where you find the time to keep all the batteries charged when you're in the backblocks of the himalayas, then edit all the footage and set musical scores etc.,. Could easily wind up with head in the computer for way too long if you encourage him too much in that direction.

Even if they're strictly for "safety"/evidence reasons, you still need time to test every now and then that the recordings are retrievable and useful. If you buy
a different brand camera for the rear ones, he's going to have all the hassle of learning how to do everything twice (settings, charging, retrieving files etc..,),
and even more time to do it.

If he's really into cycling, maybe you could buy him a trip to the TDF (with you, of course - you'd have to take a hit for the team :) ). Might be somewhat more expensive
than the bike he's got in mind, but the memories will last a lifetime. JasonC suggested the same thing as I was writing this up, so it must be a good idea.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:54 pm

wombatK wrote:If he's really into cycling, maybe you could buy him a trip to the TDF (with you, of course - you'd have to take a hit for the team :) ). Might be somewhat more expensive than the bike he's got in mind, but the memories will last a lifetime. JasonC suggested the same thing as I was writing this up, so it must be a good idea.
I was thinking more like Around The Bay, Brissy to GC, Coot-tha challenge style, but sure that works too

btw - none of my ideas are good. just ask my wife

marnie&matt

Postby marnie&matt » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:33 pm

We are going to have our first mountain bike holiday in NZ. We will be doing the Otago Rail Trail. :-) I'm sooooo excited. I'm already thinking of lots of different adventures, but I guess thats another post.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:41 pm

marnie&matt wrote:We are going to have our first mountain bike holiday in NZ. We will be doing the Otago Rail Trail. :-) I'm sooooo excited. I'm already thinking of lots of different adventures, but I guess thats another post.
Marnie, I rode the Middlemarch to Ranfurly section of the Otago Rail Trail on the first day of my tour of NZ last year. Here's a link to my journal page for the day. I had not considered it before as it's really too short for a tour. But I was so impressed I wanted to take my wife over this year for a short break and ride the entire trail, renting bikes and getting our luggage carried and accommodation organised. Unfortunately I left it too late into autumn and most of the services had closed down, so we just did several rides on the Queenstown Trail instead. We will return to do the rail trail next year.

I couldn't think of a nicer xmas present.

Assuming you are starting at Clyde or Alexandra, be sure to take the Taieri Gorge train for the last leg into Dunedin. It's a spectacular ride. I recommend you get this pocket guide book. It's an information goldmine and very easy to carry.

Happy to help with any questions if I can.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

marnie&matt

Postby marnie&matt » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:55 pm

Ronk yes we are cycling two days around Queenstown. Wine tour on the way to Clyde. Cycle Clyde to Middlemarch. Train to Dunedin. Thats the short version.

By the way Ronk I wish I could say that's our Xmas presents to each other. ;-)

marnie&matt

Postby marnie&matt » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:16 am

:cry: Whaaaa

Looks like we are going to be poor forever. :roll: 2 new bikes coming for xmas, another set of MTB's with better specs. Those of you that voted for the new bike definitely know a man's mind.

Marnie :D

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:00 am

Aww, what a cop-out. Guess the TDF will have to wait for next Xmas. Or his birthday :wink:
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

marnie&matt

Postby marnie&matt » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:33 am

wombatK wrote:Aww, what a cop-out. Guess the TDF will have to wait for next Xmas. Or his birthday :wink:
We were meant to do a motorbike tour through Poland, Slovenia, Slovakia, Czeck Hunry Tour. Didn't work out with a young one doing year 12. So I'm pushing for anything on bicycles for 1015. I think the TDF would be hard going on MTB's I might have to be a support vehicle, eating cheese and drinking wine. 8)

I would love to ….. Nope not to on this post.

Anyone else getting something under the tree???

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:36 am

marnie&matt wrote::cry: Whaaaa

Looks like we are going to be poor forever. :roll: 2 new bikes coming for xmas, another set of MTB's with better specs. Those of you that voted for the new bike definitely know a man's mind.

If your keeping your old ones put town tyres on them for local path cruising and tarmac rides, that or buy a spare wheel set and cassette for your new ones, you will be amazed at your speed difference.

marnie&matt

Postby marnie&matt » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:52 am

Wakatuki wrote:
marnie&matt wrote::cry: Whaaaa

If your keeping your old ones put town tyres on them for local path cruising and tarmac rides, that or buy a spare wheel set and cassette for your new ones, you will be amazed at your speed difference.
You are all over it. It's a great idea too.