Today I joined the 100 klm Club

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Today I joined the 100 klm Club

Postby Postman Pat » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:44 pm

unfortunately that is the only ride I have been able to do as it has rained every day I had planned a 120 ride on Sunday but it was to wet (yes I know I need to HTFU) but I ride for fun and as I am self employed I can't really have extended time of due to avoidable illnesses we had nearly 50 mm in the 3 days after Friday :mrgreen: so not complaining about the rain though
Postman Pat

by BNA » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:20 pm

BNA

Postby 3rdKogCruiser » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:20 pm

I rode 1300km in one day a few years back,...Oh, that was with a motor! :lol:
- Ciao; 3rd Kog.("I'm not racing, just trying to catch the dude up ahead")
Now: Avanti Monza (to keep up with Pinarello riders), Shogun Metro (+ tag-along)
B4: Phillips Multi-track (really bad, but got me back into riding)
3rdKogCruiser

Postby wombatK » Sun May 17, 2009 8:56 pm

Figured I needed to get serious about joining 100km club if I was going to have a crack at this years GVBR which has a pretty tough 75km then 100km pair of days. So yesterday, I did my second 105 k ride on this route: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Co ... 7-Cycleway .

Westerly wind wasn't too friendly yesterday (very few cyclists on M7 cycleway - none at all on M5), but I figured I've got to take on all weathers if I'm serious about avoiding the sag-waggon. Av speed was nothing flash, but my aim is to finish GVBR not set any speed records.

Amazingly, the M5 puncture demons plaguing Kev did not get a strike against me. Given the amount of glass and other rubbish all over the shoulders, I think I'll have to buy a lottery ticket while my lucks on a good run. :D

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby casual_cyclist » Sun May 17, 2009 9:09 pm

wombatK wrote:Figured I needed to get serious about joining 100km club if I was going to have a crack at this years GVBR which has a pretty tough 75km then 100km pair of days. So yesterday, I did my second 105 k ride on this route: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Co ... 7-Cycleway .

Westerly wind wasn't too friendly yesterday (very few cyclists on M7 cycleway - none at all on M5), but I figured I've got to take on all weathers if I'm serious about avoiding the sag-waggon. Av speed was nothing flash, but my aim is to finish GVBR not set any speed records.

Amazingly, the M5 puncture demons plaguing Kev did not get a strike against me. Given the amount of glass and other rubbish all over the shoulders, I think I'll have to buy a lottery ticket while my lucks on a good run. :D

Cheers

Great effort! Well done.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 18, 2009 11:20 am

wombatK wrote:Figured I needed to get serious about joining 100km club if I was going to have a crack at this years GVBR which has a pretty tough 75km then 100km pair of days. So yesterday, I did my second 105 k ride on this route: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Co ... 7-Cycleway .

Well done WombatK on the century. Bring on the imperial :)

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby wombatK » Mon May 18, 2009 9:38 pm

Aushiker wrote:Well done WombatK on the century. Bring on the imperial :)
Andrew

Thanks for the encouragement fellas, but I don't know about the imperial. I'll be happy if I can get a regular 100 k in every fortnight or two. Then build up to doing a longish ride the day before, to match the GVBR scenario.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon May 18, 2009 9:54 pm

wombatK wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Well done WombatK on the century. Bring on the imperial :)
Andrew

Thanks for the encouragement fellas, but I don't know about the imperial. I'll be happy if I can get a regular 100 k in every fortnight or two. Then build up to doing a longish ride the day before, to match the GVBR scenario.

Cheers

I have completed three 100km rides and one 200km ride. I actually found the 200km easier than two of the 100's. Probably because there were practically no hills on the 200km but the other rides had hills.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby wombatK » Mon May 18, 2009 10:14 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I have completed three 100km rides and one 200km ride. I actually found the 200km easier than two of the 100's. Probably because there were practically no hills on the 200km but the other rides had hills.

Hills could well explain it - although one man's hill is just a pimple on a baby's backside to another :)

My M5/M7 cycleway route had about 900 m climbing and similar descending (according to Edge 705), plus a 35 kph wind with gusts to 45 kph. The Port Campbell to Apollo bay leg of GVBR 2009 has about 2500 m climbing/descending (rougher calc with gpsvisualizer data); So I'm probably only about one third of the way to avoiding the sag waggon - and six months to do something about the other 2/3.

What sort of time-spacing did you have between your > 100 k rides ?
WombatK

wombatK

Previous

Return to General discussion