Cycling related signs - good/bad/ugly

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Cycling related signs - good/bad/ugly

Postby DuncanS » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:13 pm

wellington_street wrote:Looking on the Gateway WA site, they have actually posted a handy detour map:
(did not embed as it is huge). I hope that helps

Thanks, with a bit of Google maps deciphering it might have helped. Except that the detour map starts a road or two beyond where the no cycles sign was. But beggars can't be choosers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
DuncanS

by BNA » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:15 pm

BNA

Postby rangersac » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:15 pm

I've got a roundabout almost exactly like that on my commute, although it doesn't have the hashed out area between the traffic lane and the bike lane. I go absolutely nowhere near the bike lane, instead I Get in the middle of the traffic and make the turn. One thing i would recommend is to get a mirror, in situations like these they give you much more confidence as you know what you've got coming up behind you without having to do an awkward head check whilst maneuvering.
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Claud Butler Sovereign
rangersac

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:37 pm

I like this one.

Last edited by trailgumby on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby DuncanS » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:51 pm

Bottom right is going to end well.

DuncanS

Postby wellington_street » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:52 pm

DuncanS wrote:
wellington_street wrote:Looking on the Gateway WA site, they have actually posted a handy detour map:
(did not embed as it is huge). I hope that helps

Thanks, with a bit of Google maps deciphering it might have helped. Except that the detour map starts a road or two beyond where the no cycles sign was. But beggars can't be choosers.

It's really not clear but I am guessing you are meant to head up the Roe Highway off-ramp and then down the on-ramp before branching off to Daddow Road? As you say that contradicts the sign. It's worth reporting to [email protected] to get the situation clarified.
wellington_street

Postby DuncanS » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:06 pm

My wife logged it through blackspot. Hopefully it gets routed the right way. Cheers.

DuncanS

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:31 pm

trailgumby wrote:I like this one.

They need to be placed at regular intervals on all shared paths.
warthog1

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:29 pm

DuncanS wrote:Can anyone explain this?

Heading north on Tonkin Hwy from Hale Rd in on-road bike lane. Bike symbol printed on road; sign on the left says no bikes on Tonkin Hwy.

My best guess is that it is temporary and related to the gateway project. The project managers probably think it's not safe to ride through.

Yep:
With ongoing works along Tonkin Highway and Leach Highway, the current lane widths are unable to safely accommodate both motorists and cyclists. For this reason, all cyclist and pedestrian access points to these roads are now closed and users are being diverted off Tonkin Highway and onto the local streets instead. These diversions will remain in place until the project is completed in 2017.

http://gatewaywa.com.au/cyclist-and-pedestrian-access/

In better news, it looks like we might be getting some much needed new PSPs out of this!

http://gatewaywa.com.au/files/2013/09/2 ... SP-Map.pdf
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby antigee » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:06 pm

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........saw these signs on the Gardiners Creek trail today (Melbourne)

not my regular route into the CBD so might have been there a while - there was some work going on just at the start of the elevated section but it was well off to the side and no need for a limit all the way along

quick maths would say if this is for construction then in a 60km/h zone motorised vehicles would have to reduce to 10km/h
will dig out Melways and work out which council this section comes under
antigee

Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:14 pm

Welcome to cycling in Brisbane

http://instagram.com/p/mJqSTvR1P8/
Lukeyboy

Postby antigee » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:25 pm

from over on the commuting section and possibly correct :)

"Surely an April Fools joke."
antigee

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:29 pm

From Reddit

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby antigee » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:07 pm

not an April fool

Yarra council are doing some great stuff - think these road markings are fantastic - believe I read somewhere that VicRoads have refused to recognise them and so other councils not adopting :( (but I might be wrong)
antigee

Postby human909 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:54 pm

antigee wrote:Yarra council are doing some great stuff - think these road markings are fantastic - believe I read somewhere that VicRoads have refused to recognise them and so other councils not adopting :( (but I might be wrong)

Yes these are "sharrows" if you were not aware of the name. They have been discussed here and on bv forums.

Yarra claimed to be trialing these but they seem to have proliferated and even spread north to Moreland Council. I think these are much better than narrow bike lanes. They also teach motorists that sometimes they just need to wait and be patient. Whereas bike lanes teaches them "that is your lane, this is MINE" which gives problems when a safe bike lane is not available.

They currently have no legal standing in the road rules, but they really don't need any.
human909

Postby antigee » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:00 am

wasn't 100% sure called "sharrows" but 110% agree with your comments, my local council is Boroondara - found the bit about not using them - looks more like: might like to use but are concerned that at some point Vicroads may come out against, then I guess its potential wasted installation and removal costs or having to move 2cm to ensure comply with a standard

from Boroondara Councils Bicycle Advisory Group's Dec 2013 minutes

Action from previous minutes: Officers to resolve whether Council is willing to accept the risk of installing sharrows at locations in Boroondara.
Sharrows are still not approved or publically supported by VicRoads, with conflicting support and opposition within the organisation. There will likely be a standard developed in the future.

ACTION: Issue to be raised again with VicRoads, with the aim of seeking approval for trial.
antigee

Postby wellington_street » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:41 am

antigee wrote:not an April fool

Yarra council are doing some great stuff - think these road markings are fantastic - believe I read somewhere that VicRoads have refused to recognise them and so other councils not adopting :( (but I might be wrong)

Fantastic!

What street is this on? I'd love to find it on Nearmap.
Last edited by wellington_street on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
wellington_street

Postby human909 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:44 am

Further discussion here:
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/forum ... 11&t=16111

Wiki here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_lane_marking

I hoped they proliferate. I first rode them in New York 8 years ago, I'm glad they have moved here and hope they continue to spread.

In the case of the photo they only are there to encourage and made aware that cyclists should not hug the gutter in the roundabout. On other streets they continue for the length of the street. :mrgreen:
human909

Postby antigee » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:54 pm

What street is this on? I'd love to find it on Nearmap.

there's quite a few on streets north of Bridge Rd, Richmond, think pic taken in Gardner Street

(Melbourne - just in case)......and I'll have a read of those links
antigee

Postby wellington_street » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:34 pm

Thanks antigee, great stuff.
wellington_street

Postby human909 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:50 pm

Commonly found on the backstreets through Parkville, Lower Brunswick, Collingwood, Fitzroy, Richmond.
human909

Postby warthog1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:06 pm

Are there any on vicroads routes? From my brief dealings with them, I get the feeling they are not keen on using them.

Blame tapatalk
warthog1

Postby piledhigher » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:11 pm

Vicroads 'own' the major roads these would seem to be best suited to local councils 40 and 50km/hr streets, the best outcome for VicRoads roads would be the roundabout cycle lanes or off road parallels.
piledhigher

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:12 pm

antigee wrote:wasn't 100% sure called "sharrows" but 110% agree with your comments, my local council is Boroondara - found the bit about not using them - looks more like: might like to use but are concerned that at some point Vicroads may come out against, then I guess its potential wasted installation and removal costs or having to move 2cm to ensure comply with a standard

from Boroondara Councils Bicycle Advisory Group's Dec 2013 minutes

Action from previous minutes: Officers to resolve whether Council is willing to accept the risk of installing sharrows at locations in Boroondara.
Sharrows are still not approved or publically supported by VicRoads, with conflicting support and opposition within the organisation. There will likely be a standard developed in the future.

ACTION: Issue to be raised again with VicRoads, with the aim of seeking approval for trial.

If your council is so worried about not meeting Vicroads design standards then just ask them why they so often do not meet the Vicroads design standards for bicycle lanes, which is that they should have an absolute minimum width of 1.2m, and preferably 1.5m ???

The risk of having to pull up, repaint or otherwise modify sub-standard bike lanes doesn't seem to be a bother :? :roll:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:18 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Welcome to cycling in Brisbane

http://instagram.com/p/mJqSTvR1P8/

Hope you reported to council.

looks like someone has turned one sign around (the one on the right probably). If that is the case where are you expected to go when in the other direction? If it hasn't been turned around whoever placed the signs must have had their eyes closed and should be derided on social media (the new stockade).
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby warthog1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:57 am

piledhigher wrote:Vicroads 'own' the major roads these would seem to be best suited to local councils 40 and 50km/hr streets, the best outcome for VicRoads roads would be the roundabout cycle lanes or off road parallels.

I sent an email to vicRoads suggesting their use on a busy thoroughfare where the speed limit is 50 and the "bike lane" is a door zone.
Their response was pretty uninterested and dismissive.

Blame tapatalk
warthog1

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion