Your best adventure on a bike

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Postby marnie&matt » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:05 am

I thought this might be inspiring for the people like me who like to dream and plan. So here goes.

Think about your best cycling adventure tell us all about it and inspire us to do it. Add a picture. No Cheats!!!! Only your own experience and photos.

I cannot add one yet as I've only done motorbike adventures, but I will be doing the Otago Rail Trail as an introduction soon. My list is long of adventures I wish to do but that isn't the thread.

Sometimes one persons experiences can lead us in a direction not yet travelled. :lol: I'm too young to stop living, and too old not to take every opportunity to have fun.

Marnie
marnie&matt

by BNA » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:32 pm

BNA

Re: Your best adventure on a bike

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:32 pm

A charity ride from Ipswich to Cairns (2000klm) for Cancer research.:)

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby RonK » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:37 pm

marnie&matt wrote:I thought this might be inspiring for the people like me who like to dream and plan.

There is a community of cyclists who regularly take their adventure on a bike. Sounds like you should take a little time to read some of the threads on the touring sub-forum.

If that whets your appetite have a look at my touring journals, and then go to crazyguyonabike.com for more.

Here is a picture from the Otago Central Rail Trail. For you it will probably be the end of the ride. For me, it was the start of a month long adventure through Otago and the Southland.

Last edited by RonK on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:28 pm

Does a one day ride count as an adventure? Riding in the Adelaide Hills with a mate we came across a touring cyclist who just happened to be riding around the world :shock:
Spent a couple of hours riding with him with a screaming tailwind that saw us effortlessly sitting on 35+kph in perfect sunshine. When we said our goodbyes to him we jumped in a car and were driven home and never had to contend with the headwind. It was a perfect day on the bike.

http://www.jamesketchell.net/
Scott CR1
you cannot be sirrus

Postby TraceyG » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:43 pm

To date it was the Lions Ride for Sight, 480km in four and a half days where we (as a group) raised $50,000 for research into preventable sight loss.

But it WILL be superceded by the Great Victorian Bike Ride which starts this Saturday. The GVBR has been on my bucket list for many years and I started but failed last year due to a crash on day three.
This year I will finish and enjoy every moment of the experience. Plus I get to enjoy the Great Ocean Road.
TraceyG

Postby spirito » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:51 pm

l'Eroica this year. The Mrs. & I had a wonderful time, still feels like a dream ...

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=69430
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.
spirito

Postby kb » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:52 pm

So many extraordinary times - some planned, some spur of the moment. This is probably my most adventurous - stupid, rather than best. It was an ill-advised shortcut down a closed road from near Bilpin back to Mount Wilson in the Blue Mountains. Turned out the road was closed for good reason and was definitely not road bike friendly... Serves me right using the GPS instead of asking the locals.

http://www.strava.com/activities/23528374
kb

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:56 pm

Three months and over 3000kms touring in Italy and Corsica with my wife. We basically circumnavigated the Tyrrhenian Sea, by bike, train and ferry to volcanc isles, Greek temples ruins, mountain heights, the most amazing villages and towns, coastal scenery and rural delights. Loved every minute of it.

Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:43 pm

The ride the sticks in my my mind the most is this one http://www.strava.com/activities/4013779 ( well strava only shows half of it as the phone died at the halfway point )... should have been a 4 hour ride in normal conditions.
It wasn't enjoyable in the slightest, it was the most painful horrible ride I have ever done, whatever to possessed me to go out the door in -15C!, I stopped after about 10kms to warm up, I stopped halfway up the climb for 15 minutes to try and find some feeling in my hands... but I still carried on :roll: . The last 4 kms were on ice / slush but managed to ride them. Stopped at the top to take a photo but my phone promptly died which did worry me. If I had had a problem, even something as simple as a puncture I would have been in really big trouble. Rode down as fast as I could with out crying. The wind chill on the way down from a 1000m was horrendous. Stopped at the bottom for 15minutes trying not to vomit from the pain. Carried on another 15kms till I found a boulangerie open, went in and had a coffee and sat on their heater, the girl behind the counter had to get the plastic bag with the money out of my pocket because my fingers wouldn't work. Didn't really warm up as I was too damp... but had to get home to get the kids from school. I had lost all feeling from the knees down, by the time I got home I was definitely suffering from hypothermia. The pain didn't end there... thawing out frozen hand,legs and privates is never nice... if you have never experienced it before it is really something special. The pain builds up really quickly to a huge crescendo over a minute or two and then suddenly passes.
BUT... 15 minutes later picking up the kids from school I was already laughing inside, wondering how I can improve on it!. Suffice to say that was nearly two years ago and I haven't come close to repeating it again!.
toolonglegs

Postby Sepoy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:45 pm

Not a tour, and I lost all my photos when my phone died, but my best adventure had to be exploring the network of country roads around Jenolan Caves and Rydal. I was living in the Blue Mountains at the time and the lack of options there (Megalong valley or try your luck with the semi trailers on the highway) led me to drive out West whenever I wanted an extended ride. I have not had better riding before or since then. The countryside was beautiful, the roads were in decent condition and almost always empty, and there was an enormous number of different routes to explore.
In particular, this hill http://goo.gl/maps/fEgZk was a dream to ride up an down; one of those hills that takes so much effort to ride up that all your problems and thoughts fade into the background.

Bit hard to re adjust to Sydney riding after that actually.
Trek 1.7 2009
Cell MTX-O 2010
Sepoy

Postby elantra » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:19 pm

This would come close, in my list of riding experiences.
This is the Strava route. http://www.strava.com/segments/4958118

Did it about 5 years ago with a friend who really believes in rule number 5.

We had only a vague idea of what the road conditions would be like.
Fortunately we were both on mountain bikes.
the logical direction for this loop is clockwise, start and finish at the National Park visitor information centre.
A few km before the finish there is a vineyard with cellar door.
We stopped there and had a few red tastings with the host, who was quite impressed by our acheivement.
Copped a massive thunderstorm just as we left the winery.
Finished the loop soaking wet.
Awesome fun. :D

P.S. At no stage did we have to ride on the highway Wallangarra north. there is an unsealed side road parallel but the old bridge is full of holes so care is needed
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby Dai » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:30 pm

I've got three!

Even though I generally prefer riding my road bike, all my adventures have been on my mountain bike.

1. 400km over 3 days from Vientiane to Phonsavane in Laos. I loved this because it's the longest single journey I've ever completed on a bike. Plus the environment was so different to the places I was used to riding.

2. Central Otago Rail Trail. What's not to like about 4 days of riding with no cars and amazing scenery. It's hard not to love this ride. Just for extra achievement value, we kept going all the way to Queenstown. The track from Arrowtown to Queenstown is well worth doing. The ride from Clyde to Bannockburn on the Hawksburn road with a 25% section is also pretty good for a sense of achievement.

3. Mt Kosciusko. I did this a few weeks ago, with the goal of making my son the highest 1 year old in Australia on his first birthday. Unfortunately the leftover snow drifts stopped us going all the way to the top. But we made it to Rawson's Pass (~2100m), so I'm pretty sure he was definitely the highest 1 year old in the land for a day.

Enjoy the Otago Rail Trail. It's a great ride.
Dai

Postby jules21 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:26 pm

i only have a long road ride. we set out with a few mates - only 2 of us were 'cyclists' - up towards king lake. the other 2 guys dropped off, so pete and i continued together. we'd never done a long distance ride and pete kept forcing the pace, overtaking other riders on the way to KL and acting real pleased with himself. i was a bit less sure about our pace but i was trying to hang on. we pressed on - to toolangi and down to healesville. by then we were starting to feel a bit sluggish. by the time we'd gotten back to Main Road in eltham i had to lie down. after about 10 minutes we pressed on, both labouring over every pedal stroke. i could have fallen asleep there and then. but we still had 25km to go. the rest of the ride was just pain for both of us as we dragged ourselves home - so close, yet so far. i got back home eventually and sat in a chair - breathing heavily for another 1/2 hour and feeling nauseous. i think i stretched myself about as far as i could go. the only other time i felt like that was last year's alpine classic, but that 150km ride will remain with me forever. these days i could do that ride more easily.
jules21

Postby Timbo1 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:53 pm

Did a 4wd track on my roadie once. I was exploring new routes and found this ridiculous climb on hard clay. When I got to the top I thought I would just go back down but once I got there I realised that would be rather suicidal. So trekked on through deep sand on 23mm tyres which was very sketchy, through deep ruts, over boulders although some were unridable so had to unclip and carry my steed, past stunned people in 4wd until eventually about 2 hours later I stumbled across a sealed road. Haven't complained about bumpy roads ever since then.
Timbo1

Postby Chuck » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:01 pm

Eight of us (I think ?), all semi regular posters on this site, set out early one November morning to do this....

http://app.strava.com/activities/2217405

Here's a link to the thread that was started for pictures which start on page 6....

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=45615&start=125

My favourite day on the bike, shared with some good mates. Still makes me smile when I think of it.
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby baghwan » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Just finished a solo 7 months/8000km cycling tour around Europe, was very nervous to start, first time overseas and first cycle tour, eventually fell in love with the cycling, highlights climbing though in the Alpes to watch the Tour on Alpe d'Huez.

baghwan

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:29 am

My best adventure was definitely riding across America with PACTour from San Diego across to Charleston, South Carolina. 23 days, 4,700km, no rest days.
You make great friendships and push yourself further than you thought you could.
I liked it so much I went back 2 yrs later and did Panama City Beach, Florida along the ridge of the Appalachians to Portland, Maine - a spectacular trip.
Andrew
gabrielle260

Postby marnie&matt » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:11 pm

Now for the update for myself….

I've now ridden the Otago Rail Trail I want to cycle the world… 8)

Okay it's an easy trail and it's not long…. but on a windy day it can be one hell of a hard days cycling. I recommend any beginner to enjoy the ride and adventure of a cycling holiday. Spent 2 days in Queenstown beforehand and cycled to Jacks point and we loved it. We will be going back to New Zealand to cycle many of their other trails.

Now to take the mickey out of myself and say I'm soft, I only like cycling on a sunny day, not too hot, and not too much wind. I've learned a lot from other cyclists over a cider or 2, that I need to toughen up and get out more. So my new stance for 2014 is ride in the wind :D and to be adventurist and cycle in the rain. It's all training…..

To do list of rail trails and epic rides in Australia…
Great Victorian Rail Trail
Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail
East Gippsland Rail Trail
The Munda Biddi Trail
The Morson Trail
Murray River Trail
and the Tasmanian Trail

I think thats a good list of to do's in Australia for starters.
marnie&matt

Postby cancan64 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:14 am

My last adventure on a bike was cycling Bulgaria, Turkey, Greece, Italy and France in the late 90's...I had read about the valley of roses in Bulgaria where 95% of the worlds rose oil came from...I timed the ride it to align with the rose festivals but as I was putting the bike together at the airport in Sophia I discovered that most of the roses had been ripped out ...instead of cycling the valley of roses it was cycling the valley of diesel fumes whilst dodging pot holes and Lada Niva's...still a great trip and the festivals were still running.

Other rides I liked was cycling the romantic road in Germany and cycling in Tuscany was always a hit although the first time I hit school holidays so I learnt to avoid the tourist spots quickly
cancan64

Postby mjg9001 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:34 am

London to Sydney 2012/2013. No idea how to upload a picture. http://www.canvasandwheels.com for a (interesting only to our families) blog of it...
mjg9001

Postby rider007 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:00 pm

One day bike trip in Hvar island, Croatia with my wife. It was on e-bikes, not sure if this counts :) I don't think we could of done it on normal bikes, ~75-80 km in 35 degrees with big hills etc. Beautiful scenery!

I liked it so much that after the trip I've switched from car to bike commuting to work!

rider007

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:05 pm

Not my longest, or highest, or fastest ride, but definitely the most adventurous day I've had on the bike http://www.strava.com/activities/98415963/ .

190km on a steel 10 speed on horrific dirt/rock roads through incredibly remote country. At one point the 'road' was just two tyre tracks heading off into the scrub :D .
Crossing an insignificant dried up creek bed signed 'Brisbane River' was an experience i'll not soon forget.

When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby Scott2468 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:19 pm

In September 2012, three mates & myself did a self arranged tour of the French Alps. We only stayed in and focused on rides in the Les Rhone-Alpes and Provence (for Ventoux). We used three “base” towns, Saint Jean de Maurienne, Bourg-d’Oisans & Sault. This was most cost & time efficient allowing us to focus on all the rides the area had on offer. Along with cycling we obviously took in the local cuisine, culture, sights, country side and routine life because we were staying in self contained chalets.

Each day we managed to scale several Grande Montagnes to Le Sommets and Le Cols. They included most of the famous, signature climbs. Some were Madeleine, Chaussey, Alpe d’Huez, Sarenne, Notre Dame, Croix de Fer x 2, L’Iseran, Cenis, Glandon, Mallard, Duex Alpes, Telegraphe, Col du Galibier x 2, Lautaret & Mont Ventoux x 3. An average day was about 60km, climbing about 2000m.
It really was a fantastic trip. Everything went perfectly. The weather, company, food, accommodation, the scenery and the riding! Words really can not describe it. Maybe I am getting old but it really felt like ticking one off the bucket list.

Kissing the Iron Cross for good luck. Croix de Fer.

The quiet road to Notre Dame. An epic ride with great views and cliff faces & tunnels, not to be missed. Climb the back side and descent down Ornon.

Every rider must get photos climbing Alpe d'Huez.

Looking back from Sarenne. Many people believe Alpe d'Huez is a dead end. It is not. You can do a circuit up over and around Sarenne. They did this in the Tour last year. I can not believe they raced on that poor road surface, unbelievable!

Looking down at the moonscape of Mont Ventoux.

The township of Bourg d-Oisans. Many yummy, local delicacies to try.

After shopping, dinner with a bottle of local red. After a days cycling such wonderful hills, life doesnt get much better.

Our "chalets" in both towns. They are basic but comfortable and clean. They had everything, including the kitchen sink, but most importantly, the fridge.

We have planned another trip this coming August to Italy. We have arranged bungalows in Corvara (Dolomites). We plan to ride Gardenia, Gaiu, Pordoi, Sella, Valparola & Rina etc. Then we will travel west and stay in Bormio (Ortler Alps) to do Selvio x 3, Mortirolo x 2 & Gavia etc.
Again, I am just busting. It is exciting typing this. I can’t wait.
It really is not that expensive. Flights are $1650, bungalows & apartments are $34/night average (four share). Car rental is $300 each (all $AU). The rest is simply sending & drinking money! Living in the units, you can also save more if you wish by cooking at home. Nothing like getting home after a hard mountain ride and knocking a few frosties back that were bought at Carrefore for €12 a case.
If you have the chance and inclination, just do it!
Scott2468

Return to General discussion