Ay-Up Lights - customer service

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Ay-Up Lights - customer service

Postby acb » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:27 pm

Just like to give these guys a massive wrap after a recent customer service experience. I recently managed to smash my lights after swapping them over to another bike and not strapping them down properly - entirely my own fault, but they ended up coming off and promptly going through my front wheel. Bugger.

Emailed the Ay Up guys with a stab in the dark query about whether they might be repairable. An hour or so later I get a reply - "sure, send them back and we'll repair them - no cost to you". Was obviously over the moon at this point but it only got better a day or so later when after receiving them I get another email "we've received your damage lights for repair, decided just to replace them for you with a new set - have them in the post for you tomorrow". I insisted the least I could do was cover postage but they wouldn't have a bar of that either and sent them to me (by courier) free of charge. Pretty impressive.
acb

by BNA » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:32 pm

BNA

Re: Ay-Up Lights - customer service

Postby jcjordan » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:32 pm

I am happy to back this up.

Had a battery go bad and when I contacted them there was not eve a question on their part that the problem existed. They just sent a replacement battery right away even before I had sent mine back.

They are not the cheapest lights on the market but in terms of build quality they are the best value on the market

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home
jcjordan

Postby beanspropulsion » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:39 pm

I have had my Ayups since 2010, have been perfect ever since.

Brilliant lights and brilliant design.
beanspropulsion

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:05 am

Now that's what you call customer focused! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Spiza » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I've had my set for around 5 years and use them regularly. Definitely the best bike related purchase I've ever made. They just work.
I too have found them great to deal with and have heard stories similar to the previous posts.
Spiza

Postby beanspropulsion » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:49 pm

The only way they could improve the Ayups would be having a way to integrate the battery in to the frame or handlebar or stem or something.

I reckon it would be brilliant.
beanspropulsion

Postby isabella24 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:24 pm

Ayups are brilliant in more ways than one! Not cheap but I'm more than happy to pay for the high quality and fantastic service that they provide.
isabella24

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:33 pm

I feel left out. Never needed to sample their after sales service on my Gen2 units :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I feel left out. Never needed to sample their after sales service on my Gen2 units :(

Same. I bought mine in 2010 and use them for lots of cycling and non-cycling uses. They have been mostly cared for but have had a few "incidents" that I thought may have damaged them... but no harm so far. Even the batteries are going strong.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Mine are pushing 10+ years and there up for replacement. They were the first real set of mtb lights I ever owned and I have done 100's if not 1000's of hours of night riding and commuting with them. The light units themselves have been great but the battery cable has always been their achillies heel with many a broken wire and connector. I'm now on the lookout for an al in one unit with a more controlled output of light.
singlespeedscott

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:20 pm

I bought my Ayups in 2008 to do the Lake Taupo Enduro. I took advantage of the refurbishment program last year but only to get the better lenses and brighter LED's. I am still really impressed with them and use them every day through winter.
Yes, there are brighter lights but Ayups are not dim by any means. During Taupo I was doing descents at 60+kph that I had never ridden before with only the Ayups to see the way.
I have been very impressed with every aspect of the company and just can't understand why they get marked down in reviews for needing zip ties to mount them.... I find that a real positive!
Andrew
gabrielle260

Postby pagey » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Love mine. Had them since 2008 and upgrade to the new LEDs. It would be nice to know their road map for the future
cheers
Pagey

pagey

Postby queequeg » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:57 am

Likewise, I have been using the lights since 2009. I started with one set on my hybrid, then bought a twin set when I got a road bike. I was just going to buy an extra head unit and battery, but it worked out more economical just to buy the whole kit!
I know these lights are not the brightest out there, but really, how much light do you need when the road is already lit up? What wins me over is the reliability, even in torrential rain. They actually operate underwater! The head units are just about indestructible, and if you happen to somehow break one, they say to send it back to them and they'll replace it.

I'd say many commuters agree with me. They are by far the most common light I see on bikes. The only weak spot is the battery cable, which on my original battery has developed a loose connection. This is probably an issue mostly for commuters who are charging the lights every other day, but having said that I only have the issue on one of my four batteries.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby rangersac » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:48 am

I've had two sets since 2007 and they have been rock solid, and still smash out enough lumens for me on the trails. Only issue I had was one of the half epic batteries died within the warranty period and I contacted them about a replacement. Two days later a full size Epic battery arrived in the post. Hard to beat that service.
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Claud Butler Sovereign
rangersac

Postby handle » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:27 pm

+1, had a similar experience to rangersac and jcjordan.
Had a faulty battery a few years ago, still had 5 good ones, Ayup sent me a replacement immediately, no questions asked. Never had any other issues.
handle

Postby eeksll » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:21 pm

I had a faulty light connector and they fixed that under warranty asap no quibbles.

it would be handy if they released some sort of accessory that would make it using around the house easier, like some sort of torch like baton or wrist strap or anything like that.
eeksll

Postby jcjordan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:48 pm

eeksll wrote:I had a faulty light connector and they fixed that under warranty asap no quibbles.

it would be handy if they released some sort of accessory that would make it using around the house easier, like some sort of torch like baton or wrist strap or anything like that.

My kit came with a head band mount. I use it all the time when working on stuff around my house and the bike.

James
jcjordan

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:56 am

eeksll wrote:I had a faulty light connector and they fixed that under warranty asap no quibbles.

We too have the headband and this is where mine get the most use. You can also use the helmet mount velcroed to the battery to make a simple hand held light. I've no complaints with their customer service either. I too am intrigued about their lights for the future given the high intensity light units that have come into the market - hard to see how the current form factor can cope with the heat dissolution required.

As an aside...anyone figured a solution for centre mounting Ay-Ups on the bars of a roadie that doesn't get obscured by an out front Garmin mount?
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
silentbutdeadly

Postby jcjordan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:13 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:

We too have the headband and this is where mine get the most use. You can also use the helmet mount velcroed to the battery to make a simple hand held light. I've no complaints with their customer service either. I too am intrigued about their lights for the future given the high intensity light units that have come into the market - hard to see how the current form factor can cope with the heat dissolution required.

As an aside...anyone figured a solution for centre mounting Ay-Ups on the bars of a roadie that doesn't get obscured by an out front Garmin mount?

James
jcjordan

Postby eeksll » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:40 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:

mount it underneath?

I have the headband, have used it running and around the house, just seems a bit finicky for those 2 min pop outs to the shed.
eeksll

Postby queequeg » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:19 pm

eeksll wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:

mount it underneath?

I have the headband, have used it running and around the house, just seems a bit finicky for those 2 min pop outs to the shed.

+1

I have one set up top, and a second underneath. Plenty of space if you had the Garmin out front.

'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby acb » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:21 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:
eeksll wrote:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/742225/g ... mount.html
acb

Postby am50em » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:13 pm

acb wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:
eeksll wrote:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/742225/g ... mount.html

Ideal but cannot buy as far as I can see.
am50em

Postby Causidicus » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:20 pm

queequeg wrote:Image

With them pointed that far down you must be travelling at 5km/h for them to be of any benefit.
Causidicus

Postby bychosis » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:08 pm

am50em wrote:
acb wrote:

Ideal but cannot buy as far as I can see.

looks like you are meant to print it yourself. only problem is buying a 3D printer will up the cost a fair bit.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Next

Return to General discussion