Think blind spot when riding on the road...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Think blind spot when riding on the road...

Postby sogood » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:29 am

Here's a good video that I think would be worth watching for all those of us who ride on the road. Irrespective of how right one is in terms of road rules, just remember there are blind spots out there that you won't want to place yourself in.

http://www.wimp.com/blindspot/

Mod: Whilst this post can be placed in cycling safety sub-forum, but I think it also has value as a general reminder to all.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

by BNA » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:39 am

BNA

Re: Think blind spot when riding on the road...

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:39 am

Been done here before Sogood but always worthy of redoing as roadcraft lesson 1 for newer riders. (If you can't see their eyes then they will never see you.)

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:46 am

In the future, all cars and other similar motor-vehicles may be able to override the driver and take care of this blind-spot problem themselves:

Some interesting technology there. I wonder if the blind-spot warning also detects bicycles as well as cars? It's interesting how it will prevent the driver from making a lane change if another vehicle is in the blind-spot zone. (it uses the brakes to pull the car back into the original lane).
g-boaf

Postby sogood » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:57 am

Thanks Shaun. I should have done a search. But given what I see on Sydney CBD streets, the number of cyclists who filter themselves into dangerous corners, I also think this message needs to repeated again and again.

G-boaf: Yes, those technologies are pretty amazing. Certainly just referencing with the ultrasonic reverse sensors on my car, they really are very good. Always picking up even the most minor object in their field. I'd be surprised if they aren't tuned to bicycles and pedestrians.
sogood

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Been done here before Sogood but always worthy of redoing as roadcraft lesson 1 for newer riders. (If you can't see their eyes then they will never see you.)

I had a situation where a driver was reversing and his entire head was blocked. Definitely safe to assume he could not see me and I took evasive action.

Another situation where I made eye contact but didn't see any recognition on the drivers face. Again evasive action... he hadn't seen me. Eyes wide open, brain switched off. Never assume a driver has seen you.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby marnie&matt » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Truly an OMGosh moment. Would not have known that trucks would not of been able to see at least one of the riders. Unbelievable. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Marnie
marnie&matt

Postby Wakatuki » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:55 am

G-boaf: Yes, those technologies are pretty amazing. Certainly just referencing with the ultrasonic reverse sensors on my car, they really are very good. Always picking up even the most minor object in their field. I'd be surprised if they aren't tuned to bicycles and pedestrians.

Sorry, but nope. They do not detect cyclists. I think it will come but right now the tech only detects 50cc motorbikes and above. It does however, annoyingly, detect walls and concrete highway central barriers. But it’s like all tech, people can turn it off. My old VW had auto lights and wipers if it was raining during the day and you were travelling over 60kph it would turn the lights on too, genius. Do you ever wonder why these cars with auto lights travel around at dusk, dawn or night with lights off, even though they have autolights feature as standard. MM at the wheel folks!
This is based on my personal knowledge and working with Toyota, Mercedes Benz and Lexus. The Lexus certainly has BSM but does not detect cyclists. I have frequent use of all models and at tech launch we were told to watch out for cyclists and small mopeds. I
Wakatuki

Postby sogood » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:00 am

Thanks Wakatuki. Again, defensive riding remains the only rational attitude.
sogood

Postby Wakatuki » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:26 am

sogood wrote:Thanks Wakatuki. Again, defensive riding remains the only rational attitude.

+1
Wakatuki

Postby outnabike » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:30 pm

I know its just a setup.... but....
I am just wondering what all those cyclists are doing in the left lane with the truck turning left; and they have both gone over the line as well.

Not trying to start an argument here.
outnabike

Postby simonn » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:23 am

outnabike wrote:I know its just a setup.... but....
I am just wondering what all those cyclists are doing in the left lane with the truck turning left; and they have both gone over the line as well.

Cyclists and motorcyclists filter to the front all of the time, every time, in the UK, particularly London. They rarely wait in line like it is common to here. Seems pretty manic when you first get in a car after having not driven there for a few years, or get on a bike for that matter.

They usually have what is defined in the Australian road rules as a "Bicycle Storage Area" at most junctions so bicycles should be at the front "over the line". This is encouraged so cyclists are more visible (as it should be here - rather than being whiny little female dogs about "some one got in front of me! Not fair! Tell him mum! Tell him mum!" like ti is here). However, not many people realise that they are invisible to truck drivers in certain positions, thus the video.
simonn

Postby eeksll » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:45 am

simonn wrote:

Cyclists and motorcyclists filter to the front all of the time, every time, in the UK, particularly London. They rarely wait in line like it is common to here. Seems pretty manic when you first get in a car after having not driven there for a few years, or get on a bike for that matter.

They usually have what is defined in the Australian road rules as a "Bicycle Storage Area" at most junctions so bicycles should be at the front "over the line". This is encouraged so cyclists are more visible (as it should be here - rather than being whiny little female dogs about "some one got in front of me! Not fair! Tell him mum! Tell him mum!" like ti is here). However, not many people realise that they are invisible to truck drivers in certain positions, thus the video.

another safe place to wait is behind the truck. Cyclist don't HAVE to filter to the front.
eeksll

Postby sogood » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:49 am

eeksll wrote:another safe place to wait is behind the truck. Cyclist don't HAVE to filter to the front.

It's basic human psychology, one that's commonly expressed on cyclists as well as motor vehicle drivers. Training and self-control to reverse.
sogood

Postby eeksll » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:10 am

sogood wrote:
eeksll wrote:another safe place to wait is behind the truck. Cyclist don't HAVE to filter to the front.

It's basic human psychology, one that's commonly expressed on cyclists as well as motor vehicle drivers. Training and self-control to reverse.

and self preservation. But training/understanding is probably key, which is what the vid is about I guess.

I do filter to the front, but I won't do it unless I can see that I can wait in front of the vehicle. Same goes for normal cars not just trucks. If i end up next to a car, Ill always let it go first.

In the vid above even if the cyclist(s) decide not to move they will probably be taken out by the back of the truck as it swings around.
eeksll

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:00 pm

sogood wrote:

I assess each intersection to determine if I will filter or not. Going to work, there is one where if there is a bus at the front, I go behind the bus. I rarely filter at that intersection. Going home, there is an intersection where cars can't turn left when the light first goes green. I always filter at that one. I don't think it takes that much self control.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:49 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:I assess each intersection to determine if I will filter or not. Going to work, there is one where if there is a bus at the front, I go behind the bus. I rarely filter at that intersection. Going home, there is an intersection where cars can't turn left when the light first goes green. I always filter at that one. I don't think it takes that much self control.

This. Know the route and traffic patterns and you'll know where and when it's safe enough to take liberties, when in doubt, queue up.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby il padrone » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:00 pm

Of course the other question may be "what is that truck doing passing all those cyclists to give them a left hook?"
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Return to General discussion