Highly Tuned Athletes business - after feedback

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Postby gretaboy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:59 am

I am thinking about dropping some coin with Highly Tuned Athletes but before I do I was just wondering if anyone has had interactions with them...good or bad :)
gretaboy

by BNA » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:08 am

BNA

Re: Highly Tuned Athletes business - after feedback

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:08 am

I had excellent service from them, and good prices too. I would buy my next Garmin (or similar) through them.
bigfriendlyvegan

Postby warthog1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:09 am

Got my Garmin from them as did a mate. No problems, wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
warthog1

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:04 pm

I went from a fan boy to never deal with them again :(

This is a quick post on my experiences with a Garmin Oregon 600 on a recent bicycle tour along the Munda Biddi Trail through the South-west of Western Australia, and the response from Mr Rob Grinter of Highly Tuned Athletes who until now I had never hesitated in recommending and was happy to have brought two Garmin GPS units from and a GoPro Hero 3 camera from. Regretfully I can no longer recommend dealing with Highly Tuned Athletes and personally will not buy from them again.

Experienced summarised in my Oregon 600 post.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby TimW » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:10 pm

used them twice, wife has used them once, great service,prompt delivery.Tim
TimW

Postby Ross » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:21 pm

Bought a new Edge 500 from them a few months ago, price was within $1 of cheapest price I could find o/s online. I received it within 2 days of placing my order.

Also sent them an email about repairing my old one and received a reply within 1/2 an hour. Unfortunately the answer was no, but they gave me some options including buying an exchange factory refurbished unit.
Ross

Postby macca33 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:39 pm

Good sevice and reasonably competitive pricing.

cheers
'dale CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800 & CAAD10 Team Ult6800

macca33

Postby Toolish » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:46 pm

Delt with them multiple times for Garmin head unit, garmin swim, heart rate straps and speed/cadence sensor. My go to place for anything Garmin.
Toolish

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:12 am

Aushiker wrote:I went from a fan boy to never deal with them again :(

This is a quick post on my experiences with a Garmin Oregon 600 on a recent bicycle tour along the Munda Biddi Trail through the South-west of Western Australia, and the response from Mr Rob Grinter of Highly Tuned Athletes who until now I had never hesitated in recommending and was happy to have brought two Garmin GPS units from and a GoPro Hero 3 camera from. Regretfully I can no longer recommend dealing with Highly Tuned Athletes and personally will not buy from them again.

Experienced summarised in my Oregon 600 post.

Andrew

Seems like HTAs have great service, til something doesn't work right, and providing decent support is beyond either their interest, or their capabilities...
Dr_Mutley

Postby paulz » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:43 am

I had good service when buying my garmin. Can't comment on the after sales service as I haven't had any issues to date with the GPS.
paulz

Postby gretaboy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:11 am

Appreciate the responses. I guess first and main priority is actually getting the item delivered, especially when you drop a lot of coin on something...seems HTA does this well.

I dont know if personally I would hold them responsible for a faulty item, such as a garmin, but I would expect them to pursue the claim back to Garmin on my behalf, since I bought through them. Lets hope that I never have to experience that scenario.
gretaboy

Postby Xplora » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 am

I am guessing this is partly a garmin issue rather than HTA. He is unlikely to be grey importing, so is restricted by what garmin will do. Which, from various things I have seen online seems to "if it your garmin goes wrong, you're goin to have a bad time."
Xplora

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Xplora wrote:I am guessing this is partly a garmin issue rather than HTA. He is unlikely to be grey importing, so is restricted by what garmin will do. Which, from various things I have seen online seems to "if it your garmin goes wrong, you're goin to have a bad time."

I agree, it seems like a faulty garmin unit... If it was mine I would just RMA it back thru garmin Australia saying it frequently reboots itself despite all the usual troubleshooting steps (ie reloading FW, hard reboots etc)... At least u know u will get a replacement (albeit maybe a refurb)... Then u cut (clearly a disinterested) HTA out of the equation...

That's the advantage of buying thru wiggle & the larger companies, as they will look at it for 5 seconds to rule out abuse, then send u a new one, and the old one off to garmin... Not have monkeys test it for "16 hours" then spend 2 hours assaulting your credibility in an email..,

Just remember, Garmin Aust honours the warranty on UK bought devices so there's no hassles there...
Dr_Mutley

Postby Xplora » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:33 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:I am guessing this is partly a garmin issue rather than HTA.
Just remember, Garmin Aust honours the warranty on UK bought devices so there's no hassles there...

HTA wasn't responsible for the Garmin bonking, but rather the crappy customer service afterwards. Rob isn't going to tell you he can fix the unit within an acceptable guideline according to trailgumby if Garmin Aust won't support him... hence my blaming of Garmin Aust for part of the bad experience.
You're right about Garmin Aust honouring warranty on UK devices, but this is related to the Australian Consumer Law - NOT goodwill on their part. :lol:
Xplora

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:46 pm

Xplora wrote:

HTA wasn't responsible for the Garmin bonking, but rather the crappy customer service afterwards. Rob isn't going to tell you he can fix the unit within an acceptable guideline according to trailgumby if Garmin Aust won't support him... hence my blaming of Garmin Aust for part of the bad experience.
You're right about Garmin Aust honouring warranty on UK devices, but this is related to the Australian Consumer Law - NOT goodwill on their part. :lol:

My point was, HTA could've simply shipped the device back to Garmin, stating it was frequently crashing & rebooting, and Garmin would've replaced the device without question. It would have seemed a better option than arguing & belittling the customer, and wasting time on the device, and gaining significant bad exposure along the way... A replacement unit may have appeased the customer more than the unsatisfactory responses, and angst he's endured to date. If Aushiker chose to, I'm sure he could lodge an RMA with Garmin now, and have the unit replaced. (Feel free to correct me is I'm wrong AH)...

Are we surprised that we are hearing about a shoddy garmin device? Well, no, as all you have to do is read the garmin forums to work out that it takes Garmin many many months for them to work out the basic bugs in their devices.
Last edited by Dr_Mutley on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr_Mutley

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:17 pm

gretaboy wrote:Appreciate the responses. I guess first and main priority is actually getting the item delivered, especially when you drop a lot of coin on something...seems HTA does this well.

I dont know if personally I would hold them responsible for a faulty item, such as a garmin, but I would expect them to pursue the claim back to Garmin on my behalf, since I bought through them. Lets hope that I never have to experience that scenario.

I had a dodgy firmware upgrade render my Garmin FR60 unusable. It is a brilliant watch/HRM but completely useless with that firmware. Fortunately I have fixed it through a bizarre, undocumented sequence of settings and resets. I think it was a bit of a fluke really.

Bad firmware is not the fault of the seller but it is often difficult to determine if faults are hardware or firmware. Apart from that, I have heard mostly good things about HTA and I will be buying a Garmin 500 from them.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby Xplora » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:35 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:
Xplora wrote:

My point was, HTA could've simply shipped the device back to Garmin, stating it was frequently crashing & rebooting, and Garmin would've replaced the device without question. It would have seemed a better option than arguing & belittling the customer, and wasting time on the device, and warning significant bad exposure along the way... A replacement unit may have appeased the customer more than the unsatisfactory responses, and angst he's endured to date. If Aushiker chose to, I'm sure he could lodge an RMA with Garmin now, and have the unit replaced. (Feel free to correct me is I'm wrong AH)...

Are we surprised that we are hearing about a shoddy garmin device? Well, no, as all you have to do is read the garmin forums to work out that it takes Garmin many many months for them to work out the basic bugs in their devices.

Bold... coulda shoulda woulda :| I haven't spent my money on a Garmin, and probably won't bother, because the only value add they seem to have is Strava uploads. Would rather just use a NaviCoach, a Joule or just my humble Bryton 35 because they don't have the enormous baggage that Garmin devices carry.
Xplora

Postby JulMass » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:19 pm

Anyone who has a problem with goods bought in Australia needs to visit the ACCC website for info on their
rights as consumers under the Australian Consumer Law. Businesses are required to provide a refund if goods tank and not send you off to the manufacturer. Unfortunately a lot of small businesses still don't know about the ACL or how to deal with consumers complaints properly. Its there in black & white. Don't accept that the manufacturer has to decide if it is faulty. If it dies then you choose a refund or replacement. Pretty simple really.
JulMass

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:21 pm

JulMass wrote:Anyone who has a problem with goods bought in Australia needs to visit the ACCC website for info on their
rights as consumers under the Australian Consumer Law. Businesses are required to provide a refund if goods tank and not send you off to the manufacturer. Unfortunately a lot of small businesses still don't know about the ACL or how to deal with consumers complaints properly. Its there in black & white. Don't accept that the manufacturer has to decide if it is faulty. If it dies then you choose a refund or replacement. Pretty simple really.

Not entirely correct, e.g. You only have the right to replace in the even of a major fault, otherwise the retailer has the right to repair the unit. Dont hold me to the actual wording, but there is more to it than you have specified, and its far from simple.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:22 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
JulMass wrote:Anyone who has a problem with goods bought in Australia needs to visit the ACCC website for info on their

Not entirely correct, e.g. You only have the right to request replacement in the event of a major fault, otherwise the retailer has the right to repair the unit. Dont hold me to the actual wording, but there is more to it than you have specified, and its far from simple.

master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:45 pm

Xplora wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:
Xplora wrote:[quote="Dr_Mutley"]I am guessing this is partly a garmin issue rather than HTA.

My point was, HTA could've simply shipped the device back to Garmin, stating it was frequently crashing & rebooting, and Garmin would've replaced the device without question. It would have seemed a better option than arguing & belittling the customer, and wasting time on the device, and warning significant bad exposure along the way... A replacement unit may have appeased the customer more than the unsatisfactory responses, and angst he's endured to date. If Aushiker chose to, I'm sure he could lodge an RMA with Garmin now, and have the unit replaced. (Feel free to correct me is I'm wrong AH)...

Bold... coulda shoulda woulda :| I haven't spent my money on a Garmin, and probably won't bother, because the only value add they seem to have is Strava uploads. Would rather just use a NaviCoach, a Joule or just my humble Bryton 35 because they don't have the enormous baggage that Garmin devices carry.[/quote]

But your choice in buying or not buying a garmin isn't the topic here. The OP is asking for experiences consumers have with HTA. Unfortunately we have kinda dragged it off the topic now so ill but out! Anyway, carry on guys...
Dr_Mutley

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:02 am

im_no_pro wrote:

Not entirely correct, e.g. You only have the right to replace in the even of a major fault, otherwise the retailer has the right to repair the unit. Dont hold me to the actual wording, but there is more to it than you have specified, and its far from simple.

^^^ this. I have a tv that has broken twice. The manufacturer deals directly with customers... not through the seller and has the option to repair which they have done so far. However, if I am not happy with their service I will be taking it up with the retailer.

I have also had goods repaired out of warranty by a manufacturer who was informed of my rights under consumer law. It can be done.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:58 am

Depends on what warranty you are talking about. Your statutory warranty (ACL) is between consumer & retailer and has absolutely zero to do with manufacturer/wholesaler/distributor/etc. Under ACL the retailer cannot refuse to deal with it and palm you off to their supplier. Manufacturer warranties are always in addition to the statutory warranty and often have little to nothing to do with the retailer. Although any half decent retailer should offer to liaise with the manufacturer on your behalf, they are not legally obliged to. The provision of such warranties is referred to in ACL, but only to point out that it cannot exclude any rights you have under statutory warranty.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Xplora » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:39 am

Just in case you are vaguely interested (I was since I had to for an assignment and my textbooks were five years old BWAHAHAAA) the Austlii reference to the legislation is very easy to understand, and easy to navigate. Just search for the word remedy and you will be on the right section. Can't find it on iPod. :roll:

You can ignore your relationship to the supplier if you bought in Australia. My comments were simply that HTA would know what support they could get from Garmin, and without knowing the details, could be hard to work out what went wrong for aushiker. The retailer isnt responsible for all issues. It seems weird that HTA is so well regarded yet gave an appalling experience to one of our experienced members. That's all.
Xplora

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:06 am

Surely it is possible for the customer to avoid dealer and go directly to Garmin? For my cameras, I don't deal with the dealer, but directly with the manufacturer for repairs and the like. That at least cuts out dealing with undesirable dealers (I'm not making any refererence to HTA)

Xplora wrote:Bold... coulda shoulda woulda :| I haven't spent my money on a Garmin, and probably won't bother, because the only value add they seem to have is Strava uploads. Would rather just use a NaviCoach, a Joule or just my humble Bryton 35 because they don't have the enormous baggage that Garmin devices carry.

I'd have to say that the Garmin devices are a bit dodgy at the best of times. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to repair a ride in Dreamweaver because the Garmin reckoned I went to California.

Surprised you haven't ditched strava and gone for something like PerfPRO Analyzer.
Last edited by g-boaf on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
g-boaf

Next

Return to General discussion