Road Laws

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Road Laws

Postby pirate_86 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:16 am

Hi guys,
First time im posting on here so I wasnt 100% where to fit this in... im currently in the planning stages of a Brisbane to Melbourne bike ride and was wondering what the rules are in terms of road use ie. Are there any roads where the governments ban cyclists in using. Its my understanding there isnt but wanted to make sure before I started putting pen to paper.... thankyou for your assistance in this matter

regards
peter
pirate_86

by BNA » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:58 am

BNA

Re: Road Laws

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:58 am

Yes, there are. You cannot ride on motorways. This means the main approaches to major cities can be quite difficult for cyclists to navigate.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:00 pm

RonK wrote:Yes, there are. You cannot ride on motorways.* This means the main approaches to major cities can be quite difficult for cyclists to navigate.

*Some exceptions may apply in outer urban areas, check potential routes before travel. Poor surfaces and road litter may be experienced.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby warthog1 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:30 am

Motorways are great roads to avoid by bicycle regardless of legality. As MB mentioned bits of truck tyre, timber, glass and debris builds up in the texting lane, sorry emergency stopping lane :x . The passing speeds are high and the traffic density is also high. Unfortunately the mentality of some of the drivers travelling on those roads is correspondingly low. More drivers = more idiots and you will find that some/many of the drivers will regard the motorway as hallowed turf for cars and consider bicycles to be at best interlopers there. I dont expect you will get much consideration from our world leading arrogant pig bogans. :evil:
I'd stick to quieter roads, do some research beforehand.
warthog1

Postby hunch » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:03 am

RonK wrote:Yes, there are. You cannot ride on motorways. This means the main approaches to major cities can be quite difficult for cyclists to navigate.

Funny, distinctly remember riding on a motorway last week with marked cycling symbols.....although there are several nearby that have no edges and bikes are prohibited.

As ever, States vary - and absolutes often aren't!
hunch

Postby skull » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:06 am

Yeah IIRC the m5 is accessible from Beverly Hills to Liverpool.

You use to be able to ride it all the way through to cambelltown. With the road works after Liverpool that access is denied.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
skull

Postby Kev365428 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:49 am

I'm pretty sure you can't ride on Qld motorways, but I stand to be corrected.

With regards to the M5 heading south of Sydney, you can get on at Bexley Rd and continue all the way to Casula. The breakdown lane can be narrow in parts due to the roadwork in progress, but I ride it 2-4 times per week and find it considerably safer than any of the sidestreet options going the same direction. Punctures can be an issue at times though.
As mentioned above, take the Beech Rd exit and join back onto the M5(Hume Hwy) via Campbelltown Rd. The shoulder on the M5 at the M7 merge point is non-existent, so avoid it by all means.

I often drive to Goulburn and occasionally to Canberra. There are a few narrow bridges along the way to Canberra that you need to take care on. The shoulder, whilst tarred and generally wide, is also quite rough in places. I think it would be a pretty boring ride to do the whole thing on the Hume though.
Take some time and map a route that takes you through some of the Southern Highlands country. The scenery is amazing and it will make it a much more memorable trip, although slightly longer and with more ascending that the Hume.

Good luck with it.

Kev.
Kev365428

Postby hannos » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:51 pm

This is the route I will be taking in February for my Sydney 2 Canberraride.
This route was chosen by the organisers and I haven't ever ridden most of it before so cannot vouch for it.

Last edited by hannos on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby skull » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Particular reason your avoiding the main hwy for a couple of sections.

I just rode straight thru. It is boring tho.

skull

Postby hannos » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:10 pm

Is that directed to me Skull?

If so, the event organisers chose the route, not me. I think they cited safety as the main reason. I've ridden as far as Mittagong and have no bicycle-raelated knowledge of the roads further south, although I have driven them numerous times.
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby skull » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Ahh ok. That route will be more enjoyable too.

skull

Postby hannos » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:22 pm

Hopefully. more picturesque and a lot less traffic ( I hope)

We are also 80 riders strong, in 4 separate pelotons so there's also that to take into account.
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Return to General discussion