Toy Run

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Toy Run

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Yesterday Mrs Monsoon and I had the pleasure of going on the Bikers for Kids Newcastle Toy Run. The premise is simple: bikers of any kind ride about 35km on an organised run and have to have new toys or cash donations to hand-in at the finish. Donations go to the Salvos who get the goodies to underprivileged kiddies and families in time for Christmas.

Yesterday an estimated 5000 motorcycles of all kinds turned-up so maybe 9,000 - 10,000 people. It all went well and, among other things, was a good promotion for bikers in what are otherwise tough times for the leatherclad.

So why don't bikers, as a group, do something similar? I'm willing to have a go at getting something going in the Hunter region but I'll need a bit of a hand if there are a couple of like-minded souls willing to give a hand. Preferably someone with better organisational skills than me.

Anyone? PM me.
Some days you are a big, strutting rooster, some days you are a bit chicken and some days you are just a complete cocque. Roger Ramjet: 2009 Giant CRX3 Spockette: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 (WSD, property of Mrs Monsoon) Lady Penelope: 2011 Avanti Cadent 1.0 TdF
gorilla monsoon

by BNA » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:52 pm

BNA

Re: Toy Run

Postby newie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:52 pm

I didn't know this was on and was on my Sunday morning cycle when I ended up in downtown Newcastle right when the motorbikes rode in. It was a special kind of chaos with the footpath full of Santas (for the Santa fun run) and the roads filled with motorcycles. It was slow and tricky to get through, but it was great to see so many people out having fun and doing their bit. It wasn't clear to me how the toy run was working though, only a few of the bikes seemed to be loaded up with toys. Do some people donate/fund raise instead? How would a bike run work? It is only very tiny kids toys I can fit in my saddle bag! It would also be worth finding out from the Salvos whether more toys etc is what they really need. There are plenty of cycle events that are run for charity, but this is one of the few I know of from motorcycles.

Edit - just reread your first paragraph - I understand how it works now. :oops:
newie

Return to General discussion