Great Service!...

toolonglegs

Great Service!...

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:40 pm

I sent a email off to Steve Hogg via cycling news last night asking about the pain I am getting in my heal.Started about 10 days ago and has had me limping a bit of late.I had a fitting with him 3 years ago and have not needed to talk with him again as I have been so happy with my position. Even thou as he says it will not be indentical 4 bikes down the line.But I think the upping of k's from 300 to 6-700 a week may have been a bit much for my dodgy ankle...compound fracture as a teenager.He got straight back to me and has answered all my questions in a couple of follow up emails.Last night I turned around 20k into my ride as I was feeling pain in my heel.My foot felt like I was getting too much leverage onto it and it was tearing at my heel.Not nice.
I asked if I should move my cleats back to reduce the leverage affect on my ankle and he agreed.So I am going to move the cleats al the way back...not sure how far that is as I dont have a screwdriver yet!...but probably 5-7mm.Also to drop the seat that amount.Then to see how I go...and if it dosent fix it to try a 3mm shim under the cleat on that leg.
Hopefully that will do the trick!.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:52 pm

Well I managed to move them back about 4mm,that was as far as they would go.Had a bit of a heart attack moment when I thought the thread inserts in the shoe where spining as they are not accessiable on these shoes...had to go and buy a new screw driver!...only got ten of them on the boat..grr.
But anyway had to try it out,probably should rest ...but i didnt :lol: .I didn't have to much trouble clipping in to the new position and instantly felt the difference.In and especially out of the saddle the pressure was taken away from my heal...less leverage I suppose.I remembered to drop my seat about 1k into the ride and carried on for another 22.Felt good,might take a while to get used to but hopefully my heal will come right.
I will play around with my position a bit as I felt cramped after dropping my seat 4mm so might go half way and see how it goes.I have heard putting cleats way back knocks a bit off the sprinting power but it is much good been a good sprinter if you cant get to the finish!.
2 months till my first french race so fingers crossed!.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:06 am

Also had the same email service from Steve. VERY knowledgable guy. You really have to concentrate when he talks as there is so much info.

Watched part of a DVD (some of sitting pretty that came with a magazine), and it just seems like common sense, but he backs it up with facts and knowledge.

Good luck !!!