Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

richbee
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby richbee » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:01 am

burger wrote:Maybe that Pinarello is named after a Hilton . . .
*sorry*

I ride Paris

Oops, I mean a Paris

Baldy
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby Baldy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:17 am

You can imagine me wearing a cool T-shirt while you read this if you like.

More than a few people have been questioning Specialized right to patent a place name. But when it turns out someone else owns it, not a peep. Well if there was a peep you could not hear it over the backslapping.

Some people are talking like Specialized is a LBS. Calling for worldwide boycott of the entire brand just seems vindictive. I wonder if whoever hatched this genius plan to begin with ran it past Spec-Australia? Its not like they contacted all staff and contractors worldwide and a majority vote said yep, lets shaft this guy. Heads should indeed roll. I don't think we need to nuke the whole town but just get rid of the dead wood that is poisoning the water.

Storm in a social media teacup.

User avatar
kx315
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:51 pm
Location: Perth NOR

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby kx315 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Well according to Café Roubaix Bicycle Studio's Facebook page this morning the have all kissed and made up!! after a personal visit by Mike Sinyard.
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

Tank1252
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:00 pm
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby Tank1252 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:01 pm


jasonc
Posts: 8696
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby jasonc » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:01 pm

Baldy wrote:But when it turns out someone else owns it, not a peep. Well if there was a peep you could not hear it over the backslapping.


The patent owner isn't the one trying to do a smackdown.

djw47
Posts: 341
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 am
Location: The Dandenongs

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby djw47 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:43 pm

It's all settled now, there is a video doing the rounds with the shop owner and Mike Sinyard having a mutual love-in. In fairness to Specialized, chances are this would have been done by a legal team that is paid to look out for potential breaches of copyright and go in heavy to scare the real copyright breachers - ie the guys selling counterfeit goods or deliberately misleading products that trade off the confusion between cheap rip offs and Specialized's brand reputation.
Image

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 8240
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby RonK » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:11 pm

djw47 wrote:In fairness to Specialized, chances are this would have been done by a legal team that is paid to look out for potential breaches of copyright and go in heavy to scare the real copyright breachers - ie the guys selling counterfeit goods or deliberately misleading products that trade off the confusion between cheap rip offs and Specialized's brand reputation.

Fairness to Specialized? :lol: It doesn't matter who did it, even if it was the janitor. It's still Specialized bullying a small business which is clearly not selling counterfeit or deliberately misleading products, and is using a trademark for which Specialized doesn't have the rights.

Mike Sinyard has been forced into damage control - big time, but the excuses he is offering are no more than weasel words. No doubt it has been a humiliating backdown for him. I bet that Cafe Roubaix t-shirt will be relegated to cleaning bike chains as soon as he gets home.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
The 2nd Womble
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane
Contact:

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:11 pm

Baldy wrote:You can imagine me wearing a cool T-shirt while you read this if you like.

More than a few people have been questioning Specialized right to patent a place name. But when it turns out someone else owns it, not a peep. Well if there was a peep you could not hear it over the backslapping.

Some people are talking like Specialized is a LBS. Calling for worldwide boycott of the entire brand just seems vindictive. I wonder if whoever hatched this genius plan to begin with ran it past Spec-Australia? Its not like they contacted all staff and contractors worldwide and a majority vote said yep, lets shaft this guy. Heads should indeed roll. I don't think we need to nuke the whole town but just get rid of the dead wood that is poisoning the water.

Storm in a social media teacup.

The company has a long litigious history and many alrready knew it before this. If not for the worldwide social media frenzy and ASI's position there is no doubt in my mind that Specialized would have pursued this further.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

cobba
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:36 am

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby cobba » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:50 pm

Another company gets a letter from Specialized: https://www.facebook.com/epixgear/posts/10152089763882505#

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 28308
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:35 pm

cobba wrote:Another company gets a letter from Specialized: https://www.facebook.com/epixgear/posts/10152089763882505#

Must be easy to shoot themself in the foot when their shysters wear clownshoes...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

User avatar
The 2nd Womble
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane
Contact:

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:54 pm

They need less lawyers on their payroll and alot more cyclists. And no, lawyers who ride don't count.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

User avatar
RobertFrith
Posts: 1623
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Perth
Contact:

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby RobertFrith » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:13 am

Pratty petty Yank litigious behaviour. Sinyard seems by turns uncomfortable and sincere in the video. He apologises a number of times, and manfully shoulders the blame but continually offers excuses as well. I don't think he's really had time to come to terms with what bunch of bumholes he's put in charge of his legal team. Can we please see the video of his last encounter with those tossers?
Glove tan line visible, nice to see he still rides. (or are those engineered??)
Image

User avatar
find_bruce
Posts: 6026
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:48 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:They need less lawyers on their payroll and alot more cyclists. And no, lawyers who ride don't count.

You're just mean
Image . . . . . Image

User avatar
The 2nd Womble
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane
Contact:

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:24 am

find_bruce wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:They need less lawyers on their payroll and alot more cyclists. And no, lawyers who ride don't count.

You're just mean

Rofl
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Baalzamon
Posts: 5122
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:57 am

Epic vs Epix hmmm
What is in a letter hey

Those lawyer clowns are doing a heap of damage to specialized and I wonder if they know it
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image

User avatar
skull
Posts: 1965
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby skull » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:34 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Epic vs Epix hmmm
What is in a letter hey

Those lawyer clowns are doing a heap of damage to specialized and I wonder if they know it


So on the page there is a number of requests for epix to post the letter. Yet conveniently it has not been.

Call me skeptical but I think this is a sham

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

User avatar
kx315
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:51 pm
Location: Perth NOR

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby kx315 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:41 pm

skull wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Epic vs Epix hmmm
What is in a letter hey

Those lawyer clowns are doing a heap of damage to specialized and I wonder if they know it


So on the page there is a number of requests for epix to post the letter. Yet conveniently it has not been.

Call me skeptical but I think this is a sham

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk


Exactly my thoughts also........will watch with interest!
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

Baalzamon
Posts: 5122
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:44 pm

skull wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Epic vs Epix hmmm
What is in a letter hey

Those lawyer clowns are doing a heap of damage to specialized and I wonder if they know it


So on the page there is a number of requests for epix to post the letter. Yet conveniently it has not been.

Call me skeptical but I think this is a sham

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk


yes it was posted, I read it
Specialized letter to Epix
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image

User avatar
kx315
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:51 pm
Location: Perth NOR

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby kx315 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Ok so they have I will watch with even more interest now :twisted:
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 28308
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Specialized forces owner to change bike shop’s name

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:02 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Those lawyer clowns are doing a heap of damage to specialized and I wonder if they know it

I might be being nasty to our resident legal practioners (*waves*) here, but do you think they give much of a damn as long as the paycheque is there?
Thanks to the power of the interwebz, I have been able to ascertain the identity of the shysters in question...
Image
Image
Image
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]