Bike Registration

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Bike Registration

Postby Creakyknees » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:41 am

No, Not not that type of registration.

Some scumbag ran off with my bike a few weeks ago.
I have now replaced it and was wondering if Australia has a bike registration and identification system like the UK?
This is where you can register you bike with the police on a national data base to help identify the bike if it is recoverd.
WA Police do not have such a system, but is there any where else to log my new bike details other than my insursnce company?
Cheers
Creakyknees

by BNA » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:38 pm

BNA

Re: Bike Registration

Postby V17L » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi knees,
I don't know the specifics in WA, but here in the NT the Police actively encourage you to have your car license number scribed on the underside of the bottom bracket. The Police have open days where you take your bike along and they will do it for you. They don't register the bike, but they do check the recovered bikes for this number.

I thought SA did the same thing, so I am surprised WA doesn't.
cheers
steve
2011 Trek FX7.5
V17L

Postby Sith1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:13 pm

One of my work mates had his LOOK 695 SR taken and given DATA DOT .... cost him a bit but has tracking even on all parts
Sith1

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:56 am

V17L wrote:Hi knees,
I don't know the specifics in WA, but here in the NT the Police actively encourage you to have your car license number scribed on the underside of the bottom bracket. The Police have open days where you take your bike along and they will do it for you. They don't register the bike, but they do check the recovered bikes for this number.

I thought SA did the same thing, so I am surprised WA doesn't.
cheers
steve

Not sure if local plods still do this, got me commuter done at Ride To Work day a few years back but haven't heard much since. Silly if they don't still do it.

Doesn't hurt to put a label with "Property of..." on the steerer too. Maybe a slim chance but most lowlife, coprophagous scumbag bike thieves aren'g gonna drop the fork looking for identifiers.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Summernight » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:29 am

Mulger bill wrote:Not sure if local plods still do this, got me commuter done at Ride To Work day a few years back but haven't heard much since. Silly if they don't still do it.

Doesn't hurt to put a label with "Property of..." on the steerer too. Maybe a slim chance but most lowlife, coprophagous scumbag bike thieves aren'g gonna drop the fork looking for identifiers.

They do still engrave (and were doing so at this year's RTW in Melbourne CBD) but with your driver's licence details, not car registration (as that can change).
Summernight

Return to General discussion