16g v 25g CO2 bottles

open topic, for anything cycling related.

16g v 25g CO2 bottles

Postby bollo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:48 pm

hi all just wondering if anybody has tried a 25g CO2 bottle on there road bike tires & if they know approx what pressure it inflates to ?

i use the 16g CO2 bottles now & find they only inflate to around 80 psi i normally run around 120psi in my road tires & am thinking if these 25g Co2 bottles would inflate to around there ?

cheers Allan
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905
User avatar
bollo
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: St Clair

by BNA » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:43 am

BNA
 

Re: 16g v 25g CO2 bottles

Postby V17L » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:43 am

Hi Allan
your question articulated what I had wondered myself.

A troll on the net found this
http://www.roadbiking.org/Home/biking-r ... n-capacity

Also an interesting article about aircraft pressures and CO2 cartridges.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/03/ ... -ask_88874
cheers
steve
2011 Trek FX7.5
User avatar
V17L
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:22 am
Location: Darwin, NT

Re: 16g v 25g CO2 bottles

Postby warthog1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:36 am

V17L wrote:Hi Allan
your question articulated what I had wondered myself.

A troll on the net found this
http://www.roadbiking.org/Home/biking-r ... n-capacity

Also an interesting article about aircraft pressures and CO2 cartridges.
http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/03/ ... -ask_88874
cheers
steve


Good links thanks. Used a 16gm cartridge for the first time yesterday and it pumped up a 23c tyre hard, felt like well over 100psi. :)

Given cartridges are banned on aircraft, where do people buy them from at a reasonable price?
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2800
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 16g v 25g CO2 bottles

Postby Xplora » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:09 am

bollo, I haven't had tons of experience with the CO2 cartridges, but I'd be shocked if a 23 or 25 wasn't sitting at 110-120psi... I normally run a slightly lower pressure and notice that after a CO2 jobbie they are like iron to ride on. Issues with the CO2 pump? (I am pretty sure mine is cactus right now)
Xplora
 
Posts: 5854
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: 16g v 25g CO2 bottles

Postby snortin » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:38 am

warthog - try finewhip.com (no, it is not some kinky site, but may raise a few eyebrows amongs your IT staff if they just look at browser history!!)

get mine there - cheapest I have seen (apart from when cell etc do a ridiculous deal). they are around $40 for 30 cartridges from memory

they are not banned on aircraft in carry on or checked luggage (virgin) - i have had no problem checking them in when taking them to triathlons. see virgin guidelines about bikes halfway down the page
http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/pl ... ous-goods/
snortin
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:34 am
Location: sydney

Re: 16g v 25g CO2 bottles

Postby skull » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:42 am

warthog1 wrote:
Given cartridges are banned on aircraft, where do people buy them from at a reasonable price?


No they're not. Need to go through as checked luggage.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
User avatar
skull
 
Posts: 1665
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:48 pm

Re: 16g v 25g CO2 bottles

Postby Xplora » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:56 am

www.cellbikes.com.au has them for 1 dollar each a couple times a year. I bought 30 as that is the box size.
Xplora
 
Posts: 5854
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: 16g v 25g CO2 bottles

Postby ozdavo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:29 am

Xplora wrote:http://www.cellbikes.com.au has them for 1 dollar each a couple times a year. I bought 30 as that is the box size.

+1 for Cell on C02 sales.
Also, the 25 & 32g ones never se to be cheap, so I budget using two 16g ones on the MTB (if in a race or am in a hurry for other reasons).



Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area
User avatar
ozdavo
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:03 pm
Location: Gold Coast (nth)

Re: 16g v 25g CO2 bottles

Postby bollo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:36 pm

thats a great link but i still think after repairing a flat on the side of the road & using a full 16g co2 bottle it isn't as hard as the 120 psi i normally run
2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905
User avatar
bollo
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:35 pm
Location: St Clair

Re: 16g v 25g CO2 bottles

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:56 pm

Why do you run them at that sort of pressure? Are you a clydesdale?

For my 78kg I run my 23c Conto 4000s at 95psi for the rear and 85 for the front and it rolls great, great cornering traction, and best of all I'm not popping spokes or shaking my teeth loose.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10262
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: 16g v 25g CO2 bottles

Postby warthog1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:56 pm

snortin wrote:warthog - try finewhip.com (no, it is not some kinky site, but may raise a few eyebrows amongs your IT staff if they just look at browser history!!)

get mine there - cheapest I have seen (apart from when cell etc do a ridiculous deal). they are around $40 for 30 cartridges from memory

they are not banned on aircraft in carry on or checked luggage (virgin) - i have had no problem checking them in when taking them to triathlons. see virgin guidelines about bikes halfway down the page
http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/pl ... ous-goods/


Thanks for that :) I'll check them out.

I don't fly anywhere so had no idea about luggage regulations. I was going off the Velonews article earlier in the thread.
I figured that meant that the usual o/s online stores wouldn't sell them due to inability to airfreight them?
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2800
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: 16g v 25g CO2 bottles

Postby Xplora » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:33 pm

It s a weird one bollo - you checked the wheels are true and everything is ok with the wheel? I've had terrible trouble with low tyres and it was actually wheels out o true and badly adjusted brakes. I doubt it is an issue bu some thing to consider.
Xplora
 
Posts: 5854
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR


Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit