Bumps on pave & footpaths

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Bumps on pave & footpaths

Postby slai1981 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:43 am

Hi guys

Just a general question

Does bumps and segments of footpaths damages the rim or frame of bike? I just got into riding recently and those rough terrains made me ponder about the durability of my bicycle.

FYI my bike is of Scott's Sub 40.

Thanks in advance.
slai1981

by BNA » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:47 am

BNA

Re: Bumps on pave & footpaths

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:47 am

Don't know what bike that is but,
I prefer riding in the road because of the constance thunk thunk of the path joins, on my Scott Foil tyres at 110psi (25's). Even when riding slow, that and the flamming pedestrians.

On the MTB with 25-30 psi it does not bother me at all, I love messing about on the MTB on and off paths roads, gutters and grass. Only when safe though..
Don't know what bike that is but,

Just googled it, hmm when I put CX tyres on the MTB 80 psi is fast 50 is comfortable I weigh 96kg. Try lowering pressure to 40-50psi see how you go.
No expert but I hope it helps.

But to sum up, unlikely any damage to bike from standard path joins.
Last edited by Wakatuki on Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wakatuki

Postby g-boaf » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:20 am

Bike or rim damage is unlikely, but yesterday an unexpectedly big bump between two concrete slab sections caused me to flat the front and rear tyres immediately. :shock: They would have been at about 100psi I guess. I wasn't going particularly quicker than normal.

The weather must have caused one of the slabs to shift over the course of a day or two. Riding on the road is nicer, but there was also massive amounts of glass on the road yesterday.
Giant TCR SL1 / Cervelo P5 Six / Specialized Langster Pro
g-boaf

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:38 pm

Some of you blokes really need some MTB time... :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Duck! » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:32 pm

Wot 'e sed. ^^

Short answer to the original question: No.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Yup, what MB said.

That said, if you're flatting road bike rubber on path joins, it's becasue you are crushing the tube against the rim. AKA "snake bite" (becasue thats what the puncture marks look like) or pinch flat.

Given that's what happening, yes rim damage is a risk. Ride on the road, run higher pressures or get fatter rubber are solutions. This is one of the reasons why I still commute on my mtb with low-tread knobbies. Fun can be had, hard cornering is still safe with the low knobs, and I get a kick out of bunny-hopping up kerbs, riding down flights of steps and general larking about*.

*In the interests of full disclosure I should advise that I am not Danny McAskill.
trailgumby

Postby g-boaf » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:24 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Some of you blokes really need some MTB time... :twisted:

I'd rather be stuck in a traffic jam in a car with no air-con. :wink:

I think we all know about that, sometimes you get caught by a bump that is worse than it was a day or two before.
Giant TCR SL1 / Cervelo P5 Six / Specialized Langster Pro
g-boaf

Postby Duck! » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:52 pm

[OT]Clear demonstration of Avid brake noise all through there too! :P [/OT]
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:46 pm

trailgumby wrote:Ride on the road, run higher pressures or get fatter rubber are solutions. This is one of the reasons why I still commute on my mtb with low-tread knobbies. Fun can be had, hard cornering is still safe with the low knobs, and I get a kick out of bunny-hopping up kerbs, riding down flights of steps and general larking about*.

For a safer commute, best to run tyres with no knobs at all. Slick tyres (maybe with some siping) will give you more rubber on the road - the crucial thing for traction. Save the knobbies for gravel roads and dirt tracks.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:43 am

+1 Pete, when I was Spartan before N+1 hit, I ran Conti Town and Countrys for commute and weekday mucking about and swapped the good wheels with Hutchi knobbies for fun times. Still run a pair on the urban assault hardtail/backup commuter.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby bychosis » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am

I prefer to think of them as JUMPs on pave and footpath, although my roadie doesn't really agree with that, it still has to put up with them. Disclaimer: my roadie is old, not worth much and predominantly for commuting. My MTB LOVEs the jumps.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Return to General discussion