Please help: loading route into Garmin 800

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Please help: loading route into Garmin 800

Postby ausrandoman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:35 pm

I have been trying to get a route from ridewithgps (that's the site the ride organiser used) onto my Garmin 800. Several web sites tell me to download a tcx file from ridewithgps, save it on my computer then copy it to Garmin\NewFiles.

Did that, didn't work.

I can see the tcx file in the Garmin drive directory. When I unplug the USB cable from the Garmin, turn on the Garmin and go to Garmin->Menu->Courses, the route isn't there.

What's the trick?
ausrandoman

by BNA » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:22 pm

BNA

Re: Please help: loading route into Garmin 800

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:22 pm

I create and save the gpx file from http://www.bikemap.net/ (it is free to use)
I then load up the gpx file in bikeroutetoaster and load up the elevation data. (also free to use)
I then configure it as I want, then write it off to the Garmin as a tcx file to include the elevation data.
That exporting process uses the Garmin Connect software I have previously installed on the computer and turns it into a FIT file for the 800 and stores in Garmin>Courses.
On the Garmin 800 I go to Menu> Courses and they are there.

someone might come along with a simpler system using free access so I can improve my workflow.

or use this as supplied by Garmin
The Edge 500, 510, 800, and 810 can import .fit, .gpx, .tcx and .crs files to the NewFiles folder.

To import the file(s) to the Edge:

Transfer the file(s) via an application like Garmin Connect
Manually load the file(s) to Edge:
Plug Edge into computer
Navigate to Edge drive
Navigate to Garmin folder
Navigate to NewFiles folder
Place file(s) to be imported in the NewFiles
Disconnect Edge safely from computer
The Edge will process files located in the NewFiles folder and convert into .fit files for use.
Philip
ˈfiləp/ a movement made by bending the last joint of a finger against the thumb and suddenly releasing it
Clydesdale Scot

Postby ausrandoman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:24 pm

Clydesdale Scot wrote:
Transfer the file(s) via an application like Garmin Connect

I can't see any option on the Garmin web site to transfer files from my computer to Garmin Connect or to use Garmin Connect to transfer files to my Garmin 800.

Clydesdale Scot wrote:Manually load the file(s) to 800:
Plug 800 into computer
Navigate to 800 drive
Navigate to Garmin folder
Navigate to NewFiles folder
Place file(s) to be imported in the NewFiles
Disconnect 800 safely from computer
The Edge will process files located in the NewFiles folder and convert into .fit files for use.

Yep, did all that (except, as I have edited it, to an 800, not an Edge). Nope - files disappear from NewFiles, do not appear in courses. :x
ausrandoman

Postby biker jk » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:35 pm

ausrandoman wrote:I have been trying to get a route from ridewithgps (that's the site the ride organiser used) onto my Garmin 800. Several web sites tell me to download a tcx file from ridewithgps, save it on my computer then copy it to Garmin\NewFiles.

Did that, didn't work.

I can see the tcx file in the Garmin drive directory. When I unplug the USB cable from the Garmin, turn on the Garmin and go to Garmin->Menu->Courses, the route isn't there.

What's the trick?

That's the correct process I successfully use. Indeed, I did just that for a ride last Sunday, saving the tcx file from RideWithGPS to my computer, then copying and pasting to Garmin/NewFiles. Sounds strange why it didn't work for you. What's the name of the tcx file?
Last edited by biker jk on Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biker jk

Postby ausrandoman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:36 pm

I might have found the problem. The above procedure works fine with a 1 km test route, gpx file = 3 kB. I'm trying to use routes 200 to 400 km long, around 1 MB. I might have to break them up into sections small enough for the Garmin's tiny mind :)
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.
ausrandoman

Postby biker jk » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:41 pm

ausrandoman wrote:I might have found the problem. The above procedure works fine with a 1 km test route, gpx file = 3 kB. I'm trying to use routes 200 to 400 km long, around 1 MB. I might have to break them up into sections small enough for the Garmin's tiny mind :)

My tcx file was for a 200km ride and was 3Mb. You shouldn't have to break it up. Perhaps clear your history in case you have little memory storage remaining.
biker jk

Postby ausrandoman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:45 pm

For the record, in case anyone searches the forums for this topic, I finally got to the bottom of it. The procedure was correct but the gpx / tcx files I was trying to load have more than 10,000 track points (not way points), which is more than the Garmin can handle.
ausrandoman

Return to General discussion